Citibank has been kind! (EMV?)

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
15 posts
irvinfitness
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 am
Website: http://irvinfitness.com
Location: Lafayette/IN

Citibank has been kind! (EMV?)

Postby irvinfitness » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm

So, I read somewhere that Citibank has been issuing Chip+Signature cards if you ask, so I decided to send a secure message to see if they were available for my product (Citi Dividend Platinum Select).

The secure message rep said yes that they were available, so I asked if I could have one sent and they told me they couldn't process it through the secure message system, but they transferred my request to the right department...That seemed a little strange, but I actually dug a little deeper and saw that it is supposedly only available for Mastercard and not Visa (I have Visa). So I thought, maybe that was the hiccup and cause for transfer.

I actually forgot about it, but when I logged into my account today, I have a notice telling me that a new card has been sent to me! Crossing my fingers that it does have EMV (even if it is +signature). In addition to that nice surprise, they gave me a CLI with no request or hard pull! It wasn't huge ($4200 to $5900), but it's my first CLI without request, so I'm flying pretty high right now.

Anyone know if the card coming could possibly have the EMV+sig? Or is that pretty unlikely based on what is in the market from them right now?
[size=60]Chase Freedom Signature - 10k (rotating 5%)
Citi Platinum Select - 8.1k (rotating 5%)
Discover It - 12k (rotating 5%)
AMEX BCE - 20k (Groceries 3% / Gas 2% )
Regions Signature Visa - 5k
US Bank Cash+ - 5.5k (Restaurants/Fast Food 5% / Drug Stores 2%)
Navy Federal cashRewards Visa Signature - 20k (Business Purchases)
Care Credit - 6k (Vet Bills/Dentist - 0% APR)
Chase IHG Rewards (Priority Club) - 18k (Annual Night Certificate, Platinum Elite Status)

Not used except for occasional purchase with promo:
Jared - 7.5k [/size]


CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 pm

You didn't need to secure message them as you can now request one online. Here is how to check to be sure that you got an EMV card: Go onto your online account management, click on Benefits and Services, then chose the option for Order a Replacement Card.

Once you are at the Order a Replacement Card page: Below your name you will see a second box for Global Chip Card (what Citibank calls their EMV).

Since you already requested one, the Global Chip Card box should already be checked if they processed your card order correctly. Once one EMV card has been sent on the account, all future cards will be chipped. If the Global Chip Card box is unchecked, that means that they sent you a normal mag strip only card. If it is checked, they did it correctly.

Yes, all personal Citibank cards with EMV are Chip + Signature. I would wager a guess that starting next year, most major banks will start to issue EMV cards standard in advance of the liability shift that will be instituted by all four card networks by 10/2015. EMV is coming to the US very soon.

jriley
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby jriley » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

What exactly is the "liability shift"? Does that mean that fraud protection will be the cardholder's responsibility to prove they did not authorize charges?
Looking to maximize credit, for myself and others.

[size=80]American Express Zync
American Express Delta Reserve
Chase Sapphire Preferred[/size]


User avatar
bisbicos
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:38 am
Location: Newton, MA

Postby bisbicos » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 am

I didn't even have to request it, but last week they mailed me a new forward card with an emv chip
Credit Cards
American Express: Fidelity Rewards (2% cash back) 9.5k
Zync NPSL
Discover: Discover More (5% rotating categories) 12k
Mastercard: Chase Freedom (5% rotating categories) 4.6k
Visa: Citi Forward (5x pts on restaurants) 15.7k
Citi Dividend (5% rotating categories) 5.6
Capital One Journey (1.25% cash back) 1.25k
BofA AAA (5% on gas) 2.5k
PenFed Platinum Rewards (5% on gas 3% groceries) 7.5k

Future Cards
US Bank Cash +
Chase Ink

Sevenfeet
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby Sevenfeet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 am

jriley wrote:What exactly is the "liability shift"? Does that mean that fraud protection will be the cardholder's responsibility to prove they did not authorize charges?


Fraud protection will be the merchant's responsibility with the liability shift instead of the credit card company if they resist EMV. Since this is the last thing most merchants want to deal with, they would naturally upgrade to the new EMV equipment at point of sale. One of the main reasons why EMV hasn't been implemented in the US earlier is because merchants didn't want to invest in new equipment (think of the millions upon millions of swipe machines in the biggest and smallest stores, taxis, aircraft, kiosks, you name it). But with fraud becoming a bigger and bigger problem for everyone and swipe card harvesting becoming rampant, the change is inevitable.
Cards:
American Express Platinum (NPSL)
Penfed Platinum Reward Visa ($28K)
Chase Freedom Visa ($25K)
Fidelity American Express ($20K)
American Express Blue Cash Preferred ($20K)
Bank of America Cash Rewards MasterCard ($20K)
Citi Thank You Preferred Visa ($9.5K)
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K)
US Bank Cash + Visa Signature ($7K)
Discover IT ($4K)

irvinfitness
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 am
Website: http://irvinfitness.com
Location: Lafayette/IN

Postby irvinfitness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:25 am

CC Deville wrote:You didn't need to secure message them as you can now request one online. Here is how to check to be sure that you got an EMV card: Go onto your online account management, click on Benefits and Services, then chose the option for Order a Replacement Card.

Once you are at the Order a Replacement Card page: Below your name you will see a second box for Global Chip Card (what Citibank calls their EMV).

Since you already requested one, the Global Chip Card box should already be checked if they processed your card order correctly. Once one EMV card has been sent on the account, all future cards will be chipped. If the Global Chip Card box is unchecked, that means that they sent you a normal mag strip only card. If it is checked, they did it correctly.

Yes, all personal Citibank cards with EMV are Chip + Signature. I would wager a guess that starting next year, most major banks will start to issue EMV cards standard in advance of the liability shift that will be instituted by all four card networks by 10/2015. EMV is coming to the US very soon.


I did not realize that they made it that easy to do. Thanks for all the information and instructions (It's under Tools & Services instead of Benefits & Services). However, the box is indeed checked so it looks like I'll be getting my first chip card any day!
[size=60]Chase Freedom Signature - 10k (rotating 5%)

Citi Platinum Select - 8.1k (rotating 5%)

Discover It - 12k (rotating 5%)

AMEX BCE - 20k (Groceries 3% / Gas 2% )

Regions Signature Visa - 5k

US Bank Cash+ - 5.5k (Restaurants/Fast Food 5% / Drug Stores 2%)

Navy Federal cashRewards Visa Signature - 20k (Business Purchases)

Care Credit - 6k (Vet Bills/Dentist - 0% APR)

Chase IHG Rewards (Priority Club) - 18k (Annual Night Certificate, Platinum Elite Status)



Not used except for occasional purchase with promo:

Jared - 7.5k [/size]

irvinfitness
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 am
Website: http://irvinfitness.com
Location: Lafayette/IN

Postby irvinfitness » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 pm

The card arrived today and sure enough it does have the EMV so I'm happy to have my first one! In addition, today has been an all around great day! I am in the process of shopping for a new car, so I applied for the loan through Navy Federal where I have a few accounts and got approved for what I wanted with the lowest APR (1.79%). Since, I got approved for that I was feeling lucky and decided to ask for a CLI on my CashRewards card with them (I have started a full time job since I opened the account in school). I had a 2k limit and my highest card was at 7.5k, so I decided to go above the typical 3x rule and ask for 8k. They came back with 20k!!! So I have a new highest card and that basically doubled my total available credit...Yeah, I've had a great couple of weeks!
[size=60]Chase Freedom Signature - 10k (rotating 5%)

Citi Platinum Select - 8.1k (rotating 5%)

Discover It - 12k (rotating 5%)

AMEX BCE - 20k (Groceries 3% / Gas 2% )

Regions Signature Visa - 5k

US Bank Cash+ - 5.5k (Restaurants/Fast Food 5% / Drug Stores 2%)

Navy Federal cashRewards Visa Signature - 20k (Business Purchases)

Care Credit - 6k (Vet Bills/Dentist - 0% APR)

Chase IHG Rewards (Priority Club) - 18k (Annual Night Certificate, Platinum Elite Status)



Not used except for occasional purchase with promo:

Jared - 7.5k [/size]


CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:48 pm

irvinfitness wrote:The card arrived today and sure enough it does have the EMV so I'm happy to have my first one! In addition, today has been an all around great day! I am in the process of shopping for a new car, so I applied for the loan through Navy Federal where I have a few accounts and got approved for what I wanted with the lowest APR (1.79%). Since, I got approved for that I was feeling lucky and decided to ask for a CLI on my CashRewards card with them (I have started a full time job since I opened the account in school). I had a 2k limit and my highest card was at 7.5k, so I decided to go above the typical 3x rule and ask for 8k. They came back with 20k!!! So I have a new highest card and that basically doubled my total available credit...Yeah, I've had a great couple of weeks!


Congrats on the increase! NFCU is awesome...I wish I could join.

As far as Citibank I do like how easy they have made getting the EMV chip. Citibank has been quietly adding EMV standard on several cards over the past few weeks....all levels of Thank You now have a standard EMV chip and most recently the Platinum Select levels (Visa/MasterCard) of the American Airlines AAdvantage cards are now chipped. At this rate, Citibank could be the first US issuer to have EMV standard on all cards.

Now if we could get them to do true Chip + PIN instead of Signature....

dlgoldamex
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: MA

Postby dlgoldamex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 pm

I requested a replacement Forward card with EMV a few days ago, and they just informed me that they sent it! I hope the card I receive actually has an EMV chip on it, as the Forward does not come with one standard yet. I'll keep you guys posted!
Gold Delta Skymiles -AU- $25k- 4/12
Citi Forward Visa- $6.1k- 8/12
Amex Gold Delta Skymiles- $3.8k- 1/13
BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig- $5k- 1/13
Amex Blue Cash Everyday- $5k- 7/13
Barclaycard Arrival WEMC- $5k-1/14
Cap One Quicksilver Visa Sig- $10k- 4/15

Ikarus
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 am
Location: USA

Postby Ikarus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:41 am

Did your Citi Forward arrive with EMV?

I ask, b/c I just applied for Citi Dividend, which comes standard with EMV, to complement my Citi Forward.

When I log into my Citi Forward account, the pic of the card shows an EMV chip, but the feature isn't listed in the card comparison or on the card page:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-cards-comparison/detail.do?ID=credit-card-comparison

For those interested in a solid travel card, the Dividend actually deserves a good look.
[font=Arial][size=60][color=navy]Merrick Bank (Hooters) 4100
Cap One Quicksilver 2800
Discover it 2500
Citi Forward 5400
Chase Freedom 1000
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 5500
Citi Dividend 5600
Cap One Visa Platinum 750 (CLOSED)[/color][/size][/font]



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests
†Advertiser Disclosure
The credit card offers that appear on this site are from credit card issuers from which CreditCardForum.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site, including the order in which they may appear within listing categories. CreditCardForum.com does not include all credit card offers that might be available to consumers in the marketplace.