Going to Call GM Card For Credit Limit Increase. Need Some Advice!

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
22 posts
Dylan1982
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Chicago

Postby Dylan1982 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 pm

I forgot about the merge wtih Capital One..

Yes I am the one with the high balance on the card. I've been paying it down, haven't transferred the balance yet. I put two payments a month at $85 on the card for a total of $170/month. my card is definitely being paid down.

Over all credit.. The GM card alone is 10yrs 3 mos. Average age is 7 yrs 5 mos. Total utilization is down to 49% from 52%. My GM card alone is at 93% utilization. Yeah I know not good. I have nothing bad on my report. 100% ontime payments. Of course I'm getting all my info from Credit Karma.

If they ask for finanical I have no problem providing them with that. Again I opend the card back in 2002, 10 yrs later I'm making significantly more money now.

I definitely DO NOT need the increase, with my utilization at 93% and over all 49%, the point of the CLI increase is to lower both of my utilizations down and to help boost my credit score a bit. Currently at 700 (accordign to Credit Karma).

Can you explain this more to me, for some reason I'm not following you..

The other way to go about a CLI is by calling and inquiring about balance transfers. Let them talk them up and go on. Then when they have finished their schpeal, you would say that you are interested but your current credit line would not allow for the balance transfer. Many times, banks hear this and offer a CLI for the balance transfer.


Maybe I will wait like you stated then. They sure as shiit will not lower my APR. Currently at 12.49%. Used to be at 6% before the economy tanked.


Dylan1982
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Chicago

Postby Dylan1982 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Another thing that I want to add. I really havent used my card in some time, maybe here and there for small purchases.

Also, the other day I got an invitation in the mail for a Citi Diamond Card.

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Wed May 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Dylan1982 wrote:I definitely DO NOT need the increase, with my utilization at 93% and over all 49%, the point of the CLI increase is to lower both of my utilizations down and to help boost my credit score a bit. Currently at 700 (accordign to Credit Karma).

Can you explain this more to me, for some reason I'm not following you..



Maybe I will wait like you stated then. They sure as shiit will not lower my APR. Currently at 12.49%. Used to be at 6% before the economy tanked.


To elaborate on my "The other way to go about a CLI" post......so lets say you have a credit card (usually with little to no balance) and you want a CLI. You could call the bank and inquire about what kind of balance transfers they are currently offering on your exisiting account. Lets say they are offering 12 months 0% APR. So, they will usually be excited to inform you of their current balance transfer promotions. Once they have explained the promotion, you would let them know that you are interested in the balance transfer offer; however, your current credit line would not be sufficient to handle the balance that you wish to transfer. A lot of times they will ask how much more you need and if reasonable, they will grant it. In your case, I would take baby steps from $7,700 to maybe $10,000. And then in a year or so call back and see about getting up to $13,000 and then another year up to $15,000.

I would truly recommend holding off for now. I understand where you are coming from in terms of having good credit and being a long time cardholder. But you also don't want to rock the boat. Once you have paid the balance down below 30% utlization you could certainly try for the CLI. You may also want to consider opening an account from a competitors bank, like Citibank, and transfer the GM Card balance to the new account at 0% to get it paid down sooner. Who knows, having that balance paid off might prompt GM Card to give you an auto CLI (not guaranteed of course but could happen).

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Wed May 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Dylan1982 wrote:Another thing that I want to add. I really havent used my card in some time, maybe here and there for small purchases.

Also, the other day I got an invitation in the mail for a Citi Diamond Card.


Card companies do like to see usage, but since you have a balance that you are paying on, that counts. It isn't like you just sockdrawered the card and expected an increase. The card is active simply by having the balance.

Dylan1982
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Chicago

Postby Dylan1982 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm

CC Deville wrote:To elaborate on my "The other way to go about a CLI" post......so lets say you have a credit card (usually with little to no balance) and you want a CLI. You could call the bank and inquire about what kind of balance transfers they are currently offering on your exisiting account. Lets say they are offering 12 months 0% APR. So, they will usually be excited to inform you of their current balance transfer promotions. Once they have explained the promotion, you would let them know that you are interested in the balance transfer offer; however, your current credit line would not be sufficient to handle the balance that you wish to transfer. A lot of times they will ask how much more you need and if reasonable, they will grant it. In your case, I would take baby steps from $7,700 to maybe $10,000. And then in a year or so call back and see about getting up to $13,000 and then another year up to $15,000.

I would truly recommend holding off for now. I understand where you are coming from in terms of having good credit and being a long time cardholder. But you also don't want to rock the boat. Once you have paid the balance down below 30% utlization you could certainly try for the CLI. You may also want to consider opening an account from a competitors bank, like Citibank, and transfer the GM Card balance to the new account at 0% to get it paid down sooner. Who knows, having that balance paid off might prompt GM Card to give you an auto CLI (not guaranteed of course but could happen).

If I go that route, then wouldn't the CSR then ask my "other cc info" to make the balance transfer to my GM Card? How would I go about it, trying to icrease my CL w/o actually doing a BT to my acct?


CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Thu May 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Dylan1982 wrote:If I go that route, then wouldn't the CSR then ask my "other cc info" to make the balance transfer to my GM Card? How would I go about it, trying to icrease my CL w/o actually doing a BT to my acct?


Good question, yes they do, but you would get the CLI first. So they would ask, "how much were you looking to transfer?" And you would let them know that you need your credit line to be $10,000. They almost always increase the limit first. Then when they ask for your other CC info, tell them that you will call back once you get your statement to process the transfer.

Dylan1982
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Chicago

Postby Dylan1982 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:30 pm

CC Deville wrote:Good question, yes they do, but you would get the CLI first. So they would ask, "how much were you looking to transfer?" And you would let them know that you need your credit line to be $10,000. They almost always increase the limit first. Then when they ask for your other CC info, tell them that you will call back once you get your statement to process the transfer.

I called them today to see if they have any BT options available and the CSR said none available.

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Dylan1982 wrote:I called them today to see if they have any BT options available and the CSR said none available.


Yeah, like I said, I would really give it a little time to see what Capital One does with these former HSBC cards. You will also want to have your balance paid below 30% of your credit line before you ask for the CLI. My main recommendation is to look into another bank like Citibank for a 0% balance transfer. I believe they are offering 18 months. That way you aren't paying interest and it may prompt HSBC/Capital One to increase your limit.


Dylan1982
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Chicago

Postby Dylan1982 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:22 pm

CC Deville wrote:Yeah, like I said, I would really give it a little time to see what Capital One does with these former HSBC cards. You will also want to have your balance paid below 30% of your credit line before you ask for the CLI. My main recommendation is to look into another bank like Citibank for a 0% balance transfer. I believe they are offering 18 months. That way you aren't paying interest and it may prompt HSBC/Capital One to increase your limit.

I got two invitations in the mail this week from Citi Bank. Diamond Preferred Card and Thany You Card. You're right, both BT are 0% for 18 mos.

If I call to to sign up, how can I get Citi Bank to do a BT of the balance on my GM card?


CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Sat May 05, 2012 10:33 am

Dylan1982 wrote:I got two invitations in the mail this week from Citi Bank. Diamond Preferred Card and Thany You Card. You're right, both BT are 0% for 18 mos.

If I call to to sign up, how can I get Citi Bank to do a BT of the balance on my GM card?


Oh it is you (I responded on another of your posts, couldn't remember if you were the GM Card guy). If you apply by phone they will request your GM Card account number (but have your billing statement available just in case they ask for the PO Box where payments are sent in). If you apply online, you just enter your GM Card number in the balance transfer section. The first 6 digits of your MasterCard number is called the Bank Identifcation Number (BIN) and so that tells Citibank where to electronically send the payment.


Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
†Advertiser Disclosure
The credit card offers that appear on this site are from credit card issuers from which CreditCardForum.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site, including the order in which they may appear within listing categories. CreditCardForum.com does not include all credit card offers that might be available to consumers in the marketplace.