Convert from Visa to Mastercard - what will it affect?

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
16 posts
432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Convert from Visa to Mastercard - what will it affect?

Postby 432521 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:39 pm

So I applied for the the chase freedom card on the chase website and got approved for the Visa version. Well I wanted the Mastercard version and did not realize that in order to get the master card version you have to apply through the master card website and not the chase one; my brother has the master card version and he applied through the master card website. I talked to a rep and she told me that I could switch over to master card in a year or I could just apply for a second chase freedom just with master card and I just told her no thanks because I wouldn't want a second hard pull for the same card because apparently I would have to apply all over again.

I was wondering, If I was to switch my freedom to the master card version thru the rep in the upcoming year would that affect my credit score?
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday


ivotedale
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:47 am
Website: http://www.ivotedale.tumblr.com/
Location: Mesa, AZ

Postby ivotedale » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:08 pm

I recall seeing a thread about Mastercard vs. Visa, but is there a primary reason you'd prefer the Chase Visa over the Mastercard version? Just curious.

I personally have cards from the Mastercard and Visa network, so if diversity counts then I'm covered, ha.
Currently: American Express Blue Sky, American Express Zync, Chase Freedom Visa, Capital One Newcomers--->converted to Capital One Quicksilver Mastercard NO AF

432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Postby 432521 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Diversity is the reason why I want the Mastercard version. Since my Wellsfargo card is a Visa I wanted a Mastercard. Also I go to sams club a lot and they do not accept visa credit cards, but they do accept Mastercards. My school is another place that takes Mastercard but no visa for tuition payment.
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday

Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm

if she just switches you over from a Mastercard to a Visa this wont affect your credit score. but if you applied for a mastercard version then yes.

when you look at your credit report all it says is what bank your with it, doesn't say what network you have.

for example when looking at my credit report it says I have a capitol1 it doesn't say whether I have a visa or Master card just the bank name.

432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Postby 432521 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Money card wrote:if she just switches you over from a Mastercard to a Visa this wont affect your credit score. but if you applied for a mastercard version then yes.

when you look at your credit report all it says is what bank your with it doesn't say what network you have.

for example when looking at my credit report it says I have a capitol1 it doesn't say whether I have a visa or Master card just the bank name.


So lets say in May of 2013 I call of the chase rep and tell him/her that I want to switch my Freedom from a Visa card to a MasterCard there would be no effect to my credit score right? When I talked to the lady the other day she told me if I wanted the MasterCard version right now I would have to apply and I told her I would wait because I didn't want another hard pull.
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 pm

If you change your current Visa to a MasterCard it will be the same trade line with the same open date and amounts. The only thing that will change is the account number. There should be no effect whatsoever to change.

PopiLopi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Postby PopiLopi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 pm

I understand you want the mastercard version for diversity, but consider keeping the Visa version because that one gives you access to Visa concierge
Amex: Business Platinum (09/12) BCP $10,500 (03/13)
Visa: Capital One Journey $750 (04/11) Chase Freedom $1,800 (04/12)
MasterCard Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select $8,500 (05/13)
Discover: Discover It $2500 (07/11)
Store Cards: Amazon $3900 (12/11) Macy's $500 (04/11) Kohl's $500 (05/12) Victoria's Secret $750 (11/12)

Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 pm

432521 wrote:So lets say in May of 2013 I call of the chase rep and tell him/her that I want to switch my Freedom from a Visa card to a MasterCard there would be no effect to my credit score right? When I talked to the lady the other day she told me if I wanted the MasterCard version right now I would have to apply and I told her I would wait because I didn't want another hard pull.


That's correct.

Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

PopiLopi wrote:I understand you want the mastercard version for diversity, but consider keeping the Visa version because that one gives you access to Visa concierge


On the Chase Freedom does this card come with concierge service or is it only for travel cards like the sapphire and venture card?

I didn't think any cash back card would get this perk, I thought it would be for travel cards?

ivotedale
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:47 am
Website: http://www.ivotedale.tumblr.com/
Location: Mesa, AZ

Postby ivotedale » Wed May 02, 2012 12:11 am

Money card wrote:On the Chase Freedom does this card come with concierge service or is it only for travel cards like the sapphire and venture card?

I didn't think any cash back card would get this perk, I thought it would be for travel cards?


I haven't heard of such a concierge service for the Chase Freedom either- I feel like that is reserved for the higher tiered cards. Though if this is true, I'd love to hear more about it!
Currently: American Express Blue Sky, American Express Zync, Chase Freedom Visa, Capital One Newcomers--->converted to Capital One Quicksilver Mastercard NO AF



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests