Citi/Amazon return process?

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
6 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Citi/Amazon return process?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:12 pm

I purchased a $15 replacement part for an appliance on Amazon. It was sold by Amazon.com LLC (not a third party), and it broke within 5 minutes (the old one lasted 6 years) and I seriously doubt it's an authentic part that the original manufacturer produced.

I don't really want to pay for return shipping (and/or a processing fee) on a $15 piece (well, now pieces) of junk metal. I bought it with Prestige.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether I try to get a refund through Amazon first (even if I have to pay for return shipping) or should I go right to Citi? I know most cards will tell you to sort things out with the merchant first...but as I said, I'm not thrilled about paying a few dollars in shipping or processing fees for a $15 purchase.

I've returned things to Amazon before, but only in cases where the error was mine and I bought the wrong thing. I'm fine with paying a processing fee when I make the mistake...but, I really don't want to pay in this case because the product itself was faulty.

*Amazon says it comes with a 90 day warranty, but it doesn't say whether it's a warranty from Amazon or the manufacture. If I click the "return or replace" button it says I have a month. A manufacturer's warranty would take time, and probably involve a big shipping/processing fee, too.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card


Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Citi/Amazon return process?

Postby Tubpbs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:39 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I purchased a $15 replacement part for an appliance on Amazon. It was sold by Amazon.com LLC (not a third party), and it broke within 5 minutes (the old one lasted 6 years) and I seriously doubt it's an authentic part that the original manufacturer produced.

I don't really want to pay for return shipping (and/or a processing fee) on a $15 piece (well, now pieces) of junk metal. I bought it with Prestige.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether I try to get a refund through Amazon first (even if I have to pay for return shipping) or should I go right to Citi? I know most cards will tell you to sort things out with the merchant first...but as I said, I'm not thrilled about paying a few dollars in shipping or processing fees for a $15 purchase.

I've returned things to Amazon before, but only in cases where the error was mine and I bought the wrong thing. I'm fine with paying a processing fee when I make the mistake...but, I really don't want to pay in this case because the product itself was faulty.

*Amazon says it comes with a 90 day warranty, but it doesn't say whether it's a warranty from Amazon or the manufacture. If I click the "return or replace" button it says I have a month. A manufacturer's warranty would take time, and probably involve a big shipping/processing fee, too.


I would definitely contact Amazon. I have never had this specific issue with them, but I have had various other issues with products purchased through them and they have been pretty gracious.

I'd call them. If the thing is broken into pieces, why would they want to make you send it back? They may offer a replacement for free or a refund and you can throw it away or they may be difficult, but I'd be surprised.

I'm curious. Let us know how it goes if you reach out.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Citi/Amazon return process?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:20 pm

So the item wasn't technically returnable (a policy I still don't understand) even though I bought it just a few days ago. The CSR did offer me my money back, though, and didn't ask me to ship it back to them. I don't know if that was part of the warranty, or just the CSR deciding to be helpful. The CSR offered to reverse the CC transaction, which I agreed to, but ended up giving me an Amazon gift card (which has already posted to my gift card balance).

So, in effect, I ended up buying an Amazon gift card with a sub-optimal rewards card. Could be a heck of a lot worse!
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Citi/Amazon return process?

Postby Tubpbs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:59 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:So the item wasn't technically returnable (a policy I still don't understand) even though I bought it just a few days ago. The CSR did offer me my money back, though, and didn't ask me to ship it back to them. I don't know if that was part of the warranty, or just the CSR deciding to be helpful. The CSR offered to reverse the CC transaction, which I agreed to, but ended up giving me an Amazon gift card (which has already posted to my gift card balance).

So, in effect, I ended up buying an Amazon gift card with a sub-optimal rewards card. Could be a heck of a lot worse!


They're pretty good.

What was the item if you don't mind saying? Curious.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Citi/Amazon return process?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:42 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:So the item wasn't technically returnable (a policy I still don't understand) even though I bought it just a few days ago. The CSR did offer me my money back, though, and didn't ask me to ship it back to them. I don't know if that was part of the warranty, or just the CSR deciding to be helpful. The CSR offered to reverse the CC transaction, which I agreed to, but ended up giving me an Amazon gift card (which has already posted to my gift card balance).

So, in effect, I ended up buying an Amazon gift card with a sub-optimal rewards card. Could be a heck of a lot worse!


They're pretty good.

What was the item if you don't mind saying? Curious.

A lawn mower blade adapter.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

User avatar
PhillyPhoto
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm
Location: New England

Re: Citi/Amazon return process?

Postby PhillyPhoto » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:23 am

The automated returns are pretty smooth from my past interactions, even though I know you said you contacted a CSR. I ordered a picture frame, and the box was crushed and partially ripped open. When I took the frame out, the glass was broken, and the frame was cracked. I put down that it was damaged in shipping, and they are sending me a knew one at no cost, and refunded the original purchase, and I didn't have to return it. Granted, this was a $7 picture frame, but usually if it's cheap enough, they don't even have you return it because it would be too costly.

It all comes down to the option you choose when you go to return it. If you say it's your fault, you tend to get charged return shipping, but for things like the item description not matching, they tend to cover shipping (I'm not saying to lie, btw). That happened with a bike rack I ordered for my car. The "garage" said it would fit my car, but the box itself said it wouldn't. I returned it, instead of opening it and trying to mess with it.
Main Cards:
Amex: Ameriprise Plat, Surpass
Chase: Hyatt

Sock drawer Cards:
Amex: HHonors
Chase: Amazon Rewards, Freedom
Citi: Macy's Amex, Simplicity, ThankYou
Citizens Bank: Cash Back Plus World
Discover: it
Elan: Bank Rewards
Synchrony: PayPal

755 Eq (12/16)|748 TU (12/16)|726 Ex (1/17)



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests