Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
78 posts
User avatar
amexmember12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby amexmember12 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:19 am

If the card is good, I'll take a whack at it and swap it out for my CSP.

Currently 4/24 or 5/24 if they count a denial in there. However one falls off in a dew weeks so I will definitely be 4/24
CSR $24K | Discover IT $22.9K | AMEX BCE $15K | AMEX EveryDay $12.9K | Marriott Premier - $11K | Delta Platinum $10K | Freedom $6.5K | Freedom $6K | BOA Travel Rewards - $2.7K | AMEX Platinum


thom02099
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby thom02099 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:40 am

In the immortal words of George H.W. Bush..."not gonna do it...wouldn't be prudent".

In the garden for coming up on 2 years, and retiring cards. The MF crowd will likely go bat sh*t crazy over it, regardless of what it offers or what the cost.
Retired, and in the process of retiring cards!
EQ = 850 EX=849 TU = 850 as of 07/2017

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby Nixon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:10 am

I won't be 5/24 friendly for at least 18 months but in the name of science I'll give it a go. Hell, I took a whack at the Prestige before it got nerfed and was able to talk my way out of a decline due to "inquiries" after a chat with recon.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:06 pm

How to abbreviate it?

Chase Sapphire Reserve? CSR = Customer service representative
Chase Reserve: CR = Credit report

SR for Sapphire Reserve, maybe?
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

User avatar
PhillyPhoto
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm
Location: New England

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby PhillyPhoto » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am

I already have the Amex Platinum. Too much overlap to make it worthwhile long-term, plus I'm at about 7/24 right now. If the min spend is $3k, I might roll the dice for the hell of it, for the 100k points potential.
Main Cards:
Amex: Ameriprise Plat, Surpass
Chase: Hyatt

Sock drawer Cards:
Amex: HHonors
Chase: Amazon Rewards, Freedom
Citi: Macy's Amex, Simplicity, ThankYou
Citizens Bank: Cash Back Plus World
Discover: it
Elan: Bank Rewards
Synchrony: PayPal

755 Eq (12/16)|748 TU (12/16)|726 Ex (1/17)

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby kdm31091 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 pm

thom02099 wrote:In the immortal words of George H.W. Bush..."not gonna do it...wouldn't be prudent".

In the garden for coming up on 2 years, and retiring cards. The MF crowd will likely go bat sh*t crazy over it, regardless of what it offers or what the cost.


True. It hardly matters what the card is on that site. They go crazy for it regardless.

JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby JonE » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:46 am

CSP would make a good general travel card with a relatively low AF. Reserve AF is $450 off the bat, that's way too steep for the limited amount of travel I do on a regular basis. Hopefully this doesn't mean CSPs days are numbered, might have to look at other options if so.
Wallet: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Chopping Block: Synchrony
Future: TBD

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby Nixon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:09 am

JonE wrote:CSP would make a good general travel card with a relatively low AF. Reserve AF is $450 off the bat, that's way too steep for the limited amount of travel I do on a regular basis. Hopefully this doesn't mean CSPs days are numbered, might have to look at other options if so.

$300 travel credit offset to $150/yr plus some use of other benefits should pay for itself not counting rewards or opening bonus.
Image

TXviking
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 pm
Location: Palm Beach, Florida

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby TXviking » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Nixon wrote:
JonE wrote:CSP would make a good general travel card with a relatively low AF. Reserve AF is $450 off the bat, that's way too steep for the limited amount of travel I do on a regular basis. Hopefully this doesn't mean CSPs days are numbered, might have to look at other options if so.

$300 travel credit offset to $150/yr plus some use of other benefits should pay for itself not counting rewards or opening bonus.


They're granting a $300/yr travel credit with the Reserve? That would make the AF far more palatable if true. So far, all I've seen are rumors; as usual, the devil is in the details.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve...who's going for it?

Postby Tubpbs » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Regardless of the travel credit, I doubt the card will replace the CSP. They are meant to stand alone and stand apart in theory.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests