Chase Freedom changes in March?

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:44 am

I am honestly very surprised to see them doing 1.5 UR points per dollar across the board with no annual fee. It doesn't bode well for CSP which offers 2 points on a couple things but mostly 1 point yet has a $95 fee. I guess the fee is ostensibly just paying for the ability to transfer points, because the actual earning vs the fee seems very weak in light of Freedom Unlimited.


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3754
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 pm

kdm31091 wrote:I am honestly very surprised to see them doing 1.5 UR points per dollar across the board with no annual fee. It doesn't bode well for CSP which offers 2 points on a couple things but mostly 1 point yet has a $95 fee. I guess the fee is ostensibly just paying for the ability to transfer points, because the actual earning vs the fee seems very weak in light of Freedom Unlimited.

Pretty much that, primary car rental insurance, and general travel insurance.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby Nixon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:04 pm

kdm31091 wrote:I am honestly very surprised to see them doing 1.5 UR points per dollar across the board with no annual fee. It doesn't bode well for CSP which offers 2 points on a couple things but mostly 1 point yet has a $95 fee. I guess the fee is ostensibly just paying for the ability to transfer points, because the actual earning vs the fee seems very weak in light of Freedom Unlimited.

Most people redeem for cash dude. Srsly.

And even if they don't. I almost guarantee you Chase has agreements in place which limit their liability to 1cpp/UR. You may not be able to buy Avios for 1c, but I bet you the top bill in my wallet that Chase can.
Image

dragon452
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby dragon452 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:46 pm

When I first saw this thread about a week ago, I called Chase customer service and inquired about this "unlimited" or "1.5%" Freedom Card. I have two Chase Freedom Signature Visas. The representative had no information whatsoever about this new type of account, and today Chase sent me the quarterly e-mail to activate the 5% categories on both cards for April through June. I don't know what to think at this point.

JackLane
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:45 am
Location: NYC

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby JackLane » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:29 pm

dragon452 wrote: Chase Freedom Signature Visas. .
IS this different than 5% rotating categories Chase Freedom?
Chase Freedom 04/2012. $6500 | Costco AmEx 10/2012 $8100 | AmEx BlueCash 06/2015, $15000 |Discover It 07/2015, $5200 |Amazon Store Prime 01/2016 $2200
Local Credit Union secured card, 12/2009 - Closed 02/2015
Tu-764, Ex-764

JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby JonE » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:46 pm

I was in my Chase branch talking to a banker about closing my accounts, and they were actively advertising Chase Freedom Unlimited, CSP and some Private Client Card I'd never heard of before. The Chase Freedom 5% version was conspicuously absent.
Current Cards: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Future: TBD

SumTingWongFoo
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby SumTingWongFoo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:21 am

JonE wrote:I was in my Chase branch talking to a banker about closing my accounts, and they were actively advertising Chase Freedom Unlimited, CSP and some Private Client Card I'd never heard of before. The Chase Freedom 5% version was conspicuously absent.



I know Chase said in the press release, they were not replacing the freedom for the unlimited, but you have to wonder if the end game is just that... and eventually the freedom will fade away for the unlimited.
CapitalOne Platinum - Capitalone QuickSilverOne - Discover it - Chase Freedom - Citi Double Cash - American Express Blue Cash Preferred

User avatar
Dcyphrz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby Dcyphrz » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:21 pm

I got an email from Credit Karma yesterday advertising "Early online access to Chase Freedom Unlimited". Links to this page:
http://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom-unlimited?CELL=60YQ&AFFID=1r4CW8FNFWA-om80k.fTjSM6YvMGzS.u5g&pvid=7119067538+&jp_cmp=cc/413876/aff/3-10002609/n
Image

EX 756 - TU 776 - EQ 749

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby kdm31091 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:02 pm

SumTingWongFoo wrote:
JonE wrote:I was in my Chase branch talking to a banker about closing my accounts, and they were actively advertising Chase Freedom Unlimited, CSP and some Private Client Card I'd never heard of before. The Chase Freedom 5% version was conspicuously absent.



I know Chase said in the press release, they were not replacing the freedom for the unlimited, but you have to wonder if the end game is just that... and eventually the freedom will fade away for the unlimited.


That would be my guess. They wouldn't yank the original Freedom right away, but eventually, I could see them phasing it out.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3754
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Chase Freedom changes in March?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:17 pm

kdm31091 wrote:
SumTingWongFoo wrote:
JonE wrote:I was in my Chase branch talking to a banker about closing my accounts, and they were actively advertising Chase Freedom Unlimited, CSP and some Private Client Card I'd never heard of before. The Chase Freedom 5% version was conspicuously absent.



I know Chase said in the press release, they were not replacing the freedom for the unlimited, but you have to wonder if the end game is just that... and eventually the freedom will fade away for the unlimited.


That would be my guess. They wouldn't yank the original Freedom right away, but eventually, I could see them phasing it out.

Gas and mass transit...groceries and discount clubs...restaurants...online shopping...
They don't seem to be taking the Dividend route of useless categories...for 2016, at least.

I suppose URs might have some nerf protection, since Chase has the cobrand contracts for Hyatt and United. That might make it tricky for them to drop or devalue two of the best transfer options.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest