Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom UPDATE

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
33 posts
4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom

Postby 4ktvs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm

I don't know what your one card is but you might also want to think about applying for a Discover IT card instead. Discover is taken at most places and has great customer service. Also has some other nice perks like discover deals and so on.


Elijahmex
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:10 am
Location: EURO-US

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom

Postby Elijahmex » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 pm

4ktvs wrote:I don't know what your one card is but you might also want to think about applying for a Discover IT card instead. Discover is taken at most places and has great customer service. Also has some other nice perks like discover deals and so on.


Instead? No but eventually. I spend most of my time overseas so a Discover card is not exactly what I need right now.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 pm

Elijahmex wrote:
4ktvs wrote:I don't know what your one card is but you might also want to think about applying for a Discover IT card instead. Discover is taken at most places and has great customer service. Also has some other nice perks like discover deals and so on.


Instead? No but eventually. I spend most of my time overseas so a Discover card is not exactly what I need right now.

Discover has less-than-ideal acceptance in many countries. Acceptance in China and Japan is supposed to be pretty good with Discover's local partners.

Visa is more widely accepted, but Freedom does have FTFs.

Pick your poison.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom

Postby 4ktvs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 pm

I would say the Freedom is the wrong card if you are going to put spend on it overseas. Something like a Capital one quick sliver would likely suit that better.

If most of my time was spent overseas using the card then I would strongly suggest looking at the ones with no FTF fee.

Yzr23
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom

Postby Yzr23 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:50 pm

I was just approved for Freedom. Roughly ten years ago I burned Chase on a slate card. Long story there which is irrelevant I suppose, however the result was that I was sent to collections. Chase has refrained from extending credit to me since then and only for the past year have I been working on establishing credit again. I currently have a Capital One Platinum card with a $1,200 limit, Capital One Quicksilver with a $2,000 limit, a Credit Union card with a 2,000 limit and an auto loan which I have had for 1 year. Chase pulled my EX which is my lowest score of 653, while TU is 687 and EQ is 699. My scores took a hit this past month with high utilization due to work trips and a parking ticket I was unaware of being sent to collections. Hope this helps.

Elijahmex
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:10 am
Location: EURO-US

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom

Postby Elijahmex » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:18 am

4ktvs wrote:I would say the Freedom is the wrong card if you are going to put spend on it overseas. Something like a Capital one quick sliver would likely suit that better.

If most of my time was spent overseas using the card then I would strongly suggest looking at the ones with no FTF fee.


Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I did not mean the card was going to be used overseas but just in case of emergency you never know. To be clear
I want the freedom as a second card and a Amex EDP as a third. I travel a whole lot so CSP and Amex platinum only make sense in the near future. Thats why I'm aiming at Freedom and EDP for now.

BTW the one card that I have is a cap one quicksilver.
Image

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom

Postby 4ktvs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Elijahmex wrote:
4ktvs wrote:I would say the Freedom is the wrong card if you are going to put spend on it overseas. Something like a Capital one quick sliver would likely suit that better.

If most of my time was spent overseas using the card then I would strongly suggest looking at the ones with no FTF fee.


Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I did not mean the card was going to be used overseas but just in case of emergency you never know. To be clear
I want the freedom as a second card and a Amex EDP as a third. I travel a whole lot so CSP and Amex platinum only make sense in the near future. Thats why I'm aiming at Freedom and EDP for now.

BTW the one card that I have is a cap one quicksilver.


I understand as I didn't feel comfortable getting a Discover until I had a few visas/mastercards. I think your odds of getting the Amex are good as I got tons of offers from them when I only had about a year of credit history. Good luck on applying for the card if that is what you chose to do. :)

Elijahmex
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:10 am
Location: EURO-US

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom UPDATE

Postby Elijahmex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:33 am

Denied!

I applied last Wednesday. After 8 days of waiting I called to get some info and turns out the bad history had nothing to do with the result but the lack of accounts opened. Quick reminder I will have 1 full year of credit history end of February, no loans only 1 Cap One Quicksilver account and FICO TU 736 EQ 728 and EX not sure since Chase pulled it.

Now I have 4 inquiries and only 1 CC on my report. Getting a little fed up tbh.
Image

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom UPDATE

Postby 4ktvs » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:07 am

Elijahmex wrote:Denied!

I applied last Wednesday. After 8 days of waiting I called to get some info and turns out the bad history had nothing to do with the result but the lack of accounts opened. Quick reminder I will have 1 full year of credit history end of February, no loans only 1 Cap One Quicksilver account and FICO TU 736 EQ 728 and EX not sure since Chase pulled it.

Now I have 4 inquiries and only 1 CC on my report. Getting a little fed up tbh.


Sorry that happened, I know I would feel fed up if I had to take 4 hard inquires and only get one card out of it. You could try for the Amex EDP you wanted.

Elijahmex
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:10 am
Location: EURO-US

Re: Bad history with Chase but I want a Freedom UPDATE

Postby Elijahmex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:23 am

4ktvs wrote:
Elijahmex wrote:Denied!

I applied last Wednesday. After 8 days of waiting I called to get some info and turns out the bad history had nothing to do with the result but the lack of accounts opened. Quick reminder I will have 1 full year of credit history end of February, no loans only 1 Cap One Quicksilver account and FICO TU 736 EQ 728 and EX not sure since Chase pulled it.

Now I have 4 inquiries and only 1 CC on my report. Getting a little fed up tbh.


Sorry that happened, I know I would feel fed up if I had to take 4 hard inquires and only get one card out of it. You could try for the Amex EDP you wanted.


No I am not trying anything until end of February/beg March. By then I will have a full year of credit history, I am also due a CLI on the 5th and it will give me time to think about my next move. Also by then my CS will have moved forward a bit.
Image



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests