Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
23 posts
plaidington
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:59 pm
Location: chiberia

Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby plaidington » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:17 am

So I have had the Barlcaycard Arrival+ Elite for over a year and I really like it. It has 2% w/ a 10% bonus for travel (essentially 2.2%) with a $25 minimum redemption amount. I received a letter stating that August 2016 the bonus is going to be reduced to 5% (essentially 2.1% on travel) and the real kicker to me is the minimum redemption amount is being raised to $100. I am very disapointed with the changes expecially on an "elite" product with a $89 annual fee.

How does everyone else feel about this?


kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:37 am

I don't have the card, but I think except for a very small set of circumstances I don't see why most people would continue to pay for it with the changes. 2.1% for $89 vs 2% for free with a double cash means you will have to spend a huge amount of money to make up the fee, and you are forced to redeem for travel only (travel plans can/do change, and you have no valuable backup redemption option).

Even before the changes, it wasn't a huge value increase over a double cash or fidelity amex but now, it's really just not worth it IMO.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby Tubpbs » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:40 pm

kdm31091 wrote:I don't have the card, but I think except for a very small set of circumstances I don't see why most people would continue to pay for it with the changes. 2.1% for $89 vs 2% for free with a double cash means you will have to spend a huge amount of money to make up the fee, and you are forced to redeem for travel only (travel plans can/do change, and you have no valuable backup redemption option).

Even before the changes, it wasn't a huge value increase over a double cash or fidelity amex but now, it's really just not worth it IMO.


I agree with KDM. Well said. I also don't have the card, but I don't see where the value is derived...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:07 pm

I have the no-AF version. It has the same chip-and-pseudo-PIN functionality, as well as access to RewardsBoost. The card certainly has its uses, but they are very irregular ones. It's a card I like having, even if it remains in my "sock drawer" 90% of the time.

I'm very happy to not have an AF on mine. I went for the no-AF version since I heard a lot of people were told they could not PC Arrival+ to Arrival. I didn't get the chip right away, but the changes took place shortly afterwards and I got the chip.

I think the Arrival+ would only suit someone who did a lot of international travel to certain countries and could use the PIN for a lot of transactions, but didn't need a card with an offline PIN.

For domestic travel, CSP is much better.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby Tubpbs » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:46 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I have the no-AF version. It has the same chip-and-pseudo-PIN functionality, as well as access to RewardsBoost. The card certainly has its uses, but they are very irregular ones. It's a card I like having, even if it remains in my "sock drawer" 90% of the time.

I'm very happy to not have an AF on mine. I went for the no-AF version since I heard a lot of people were told they could not PC Arrival+ to Arrival. I didn't get the chip right away, but the changes took place shortly afterwards and I got the chip.

I think the Arrival+ would only suit someone who did a lot of international travel to certain countries and could use the PIN for a lot of transactions, but didn't need a card with an offline PIN.

For domestic travel, CSP is much better.


And I think to your credit, not having an annual fee changes the value the card offers significantly vs. paying $89 a year for rewards at least that can be gotten elsewhere for free. There are certainly perks that the card has that come into play, but if you segregate either the rewards or the perks and allow for the idea of having more than one card the Arrival+ loses most of its value, if not all.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby lobbythis » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Thank you for the update. As this is a card I wanted, I think I may have to change my mind.

plaidington
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:59 pm
Location: chiberia

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby plaidington » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I got the card essentially for the Chip & PIN ability for 0% FTF.

I am grandfathered til August 2016 on the "old terms" so I am going to re-evaluate at that point if I retain the card or not. I really think Barclaycard is pulling a fast one on cardholders and I do not appreciate it, especially on a card with a $89 AF.

I am hoping more US credit card issuers make Chip & PIN available in the next year.
My Card Corral: Barclaycard Arrival+ WEMC, Capital One Quicksilver VS, Chase Freedom VS, American Express BCP, Discover It, PenFed Cash Rewards.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby Tubpbs » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:11 pm

plaidington wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

I got the card essentially for the Chip & PIN ability for 0% FTF.

I am grandfathered til August 2016 on the "old terms" so I am going to re-evaluate at that point if I retain the card or not. I really think Barclaycard is pulling a fast one on cardholders and I do not appreciate it, especially on a card with a $89 AF.

I am hoping more US credit card issuers make Chip & PIN available in the next year.


I feel like more Chip & PIN is step two in the crossover process that just started here.

The current system provides no additional security for the majority of transactions, especially since most cashiers don't even know about the concept of the chip, let alone how to use the reader etc etc. Perhaps that will change in 6-12 months. Probably.

But I do agree / hope you're right, that we'll be seeing more Chip & PIN in a year or so (at the very least the prime lenders will want to differentiate themselves again from the group, which will now have caught up and all be rocking chips).
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby yfan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:28 pm

You can thank the churners and bonus chasers. No lender wants to put up with losing money up front and THEN not getting long term use from the customer.

plaidington
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:59 pm
Location: chiberia

Re: Barclaycard Arrival+ decrease in benefits

Postby plaidington » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:58 pm

yfan wrote:You can thank the churners and bonus chasers. No lender wants to put up with losing money up front and THEN not getting long term use from the customer.


i see what you are saying, but in this case Barclays is forcing people who don't want to churn to cancel their card!
My Card Corral: Barclaycard Arrival+ WEMC, Capital One Quicksilver VS, Chase Freedom VS, American Express BCP, Discover It, PenFed Cash Rewards.



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests