I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
9 posts
4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby 4ktvs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:56 pm

I was hoping for a %2 unlimited cash back card like the double cash that had longer lasting rewards. 3 years is much better than 12 or 13 months for rewards to expire.

I didn't apply for it yesterday when it looked like it was open to all 50 states as I never just jump into things like that. Now it's limited to just a handful of states and I don't happen to be included. They use the term "currently" when talking about the geo limits so does that mean there is a chance before the end of the year I might get in or did I just miss the boat on this one like the $250 1k spend bonus on the amex BCE card?

I feel like I am missing all the boats as I really felt the Salle Mae MasterCard would have fit perfectly with my spend, but I waited too long. :mad:

The app for this card felt a little bit more invasive than I am used to asking for checking, savings and investment account balances to the dollar no drop box or a yes/no question.

The only thing is I think it would have been hard for me to get approved for this card as I don't think they would like the fact I only put a token/min amount just to say on most loan apps that I have a savings account. Well and with my 750-760 FICO I get nearly the worst APR each time I have applied for a card this year so the idea of getting approved a high rewards card at %11 seemed like I might just be putting a two year dent in my report for nothing. So if they had a higher APR I might have been more likely to apply when it was open to all. (Like %19-21 every time for the normal rate. I don't care about that as I always PIF unless that APR is %0 then well it's free money. LOL)

P.S I signed up for the discover IT in the last few months as I hoped by next year maybe someone would come out with something like the double cash card but give longer than 12 months to redeem rewards.

When I looked at it on the 4th it allowed you to use any state you wanted but now it has that disclaimer at the top of the app page saying "We are currently only accepting applications from the following States: Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Texas."


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:58 pm

As far as expiring rewards....it's cash, not airline miles. You redeem the FNBO card's rewards in $25 increments. That only takes $1,250 of spending, and there's no reason to wait for a better redemption value later.

Even if points expired in 12 months, anyone who used the card regularly wouldn't have to worry about rewards expiring.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby kdm31091 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 am

I'm kind of confused with the comparison to Double Cash and expiring rewards. Double Cash's rewards NEVER expire, whereas the FNBO ones expire in 3 years.

IME, expiring rewards are a PITA because every month, your new rewards obviously expire a month later than the previous, creating a sort of rolling list of expiry dates. Like noted above, it's really not that big of a deal if you spend regularly on the card, but to me, it's just an unnecessary annoyance. I know it's created to force people to actually use the cards, though, which in a way I support.

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby 4ktvs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 am

kdm31091 wrote:I'm kind of confused with the comparison to Double Cash and expiring rewards. Double Cash's rewards NEVER expire, whereas the FNBO ones expire in 3 years.

IME, expiring rewards are a PITA because every month, your new rewards obviously expire a month later than the previous, creating a sort of rolling list of expiry dates. Like noted above, it's really not that big of a deal if you spend regularly on the card, but to me, it's just an unnecessary annoyance. I know it's created to force people to actually use the cards, though, which in a way I support.


In the terms on the citi web site it says rewards expire after 12 months in the fine print. I just didn't want to deal with the annoyance.

Maybe when you got yours the terms were better. Also I didn't want to get stuck with a toy limit as I have heard citi loves to give with this card.

I think 3 years is ok, but 12 months feels a little short and so I would wait until next year to apply for this card. I would love to wait until next year to apply for this card but at the end of the year it will be gone. Oh well it doesn't feel as bad as missing the $250 BCE sign up bonus or finding out US bank is really an iron wall when it comes to the Cash+ card. If I have a shot at that it likely isn't until at lest next year.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:03 pm

4ktvs wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:I'm kind of confused with the comparison to Double Cash and expiring rewards. Double Cash's rewards NEVER expire, whereas the FNBO ones expire in 3 years.

IME, expiring rewards are a PITA because every month, your new rewards obviously expire a month later than the previous, creating a sort of rolling list of expiry dates. Like noted above, it's really not that big of a deal if you spend regularly on the card, but to me, it's just an unnecessary annoyance. I know it's created to force people to actually use the cards, though, which in a way I support.


In the terms on the citi web site it says rewards expire after 12 months in the fine print. I just didn't want to deal with the annoyance.

Maybe when you got yours the terms were better. Also I didn't want to get stuck with a toy limit as I have heard citi loves to give with this card.

I think 3 years is ok, but 12 months feels a little short and so I would wait until next year to apply for this card. I would love to wait until next year to apply for this card but at the end of the year it will be gone. Oh well it doesn't feel as bad as missing the $250 BCE sign up bonus or finding out US bank is really an iron wall when it comes to the Cash+ card. If I have a shot at that it likely isn't until at lest next year.

Read it more thoroughly, 4ktvs. Rewards expire after 12 months IF you haven't made a purchase or payment within that 12 month period.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby 4ktvs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Well that was an oversight on my part. Guess I will apply for the double cash next year then. I want my new accounts to age a bit before applying for this card and for the discover double cash 12 month promo to expire. It's not a race unless the issuer puts a time limit on applying for the card that is. :D

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby takeshi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:35 am

4ktvs wrote:Well and with my 750-760 FICO I get nearly the worst APR each time

It's never just about score but 750-760 should be good though it depends on model since not all FICO models are on the same points scale. Always make sure you're considering the scoring model and CRA and not just the number.

Regardless, it sounds like you need to review your reports and work on addressing issues if you keep getting the worst APR offered.

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Even if points expired in 12 months, anyone who used the card regularly wouldn't have to worry about rewards expiring.

This. Definitely consider how long it would take to accrue and redeem rewards. If one needs 3 years then one may be considering the wrong card for one's spend.

4ktvs wrote:I feel like I am missing all the boats as I really felt the Salle Mae MasterCard would have fit perfectly with my spend, but I waited too long.

It seems like quite often the problem is people just applying away but if you're noticing a trend that you're missing out on offers that would be of benefit to you then the opposite may be the problem.

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby 4ktvs » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:06 pm

I don't need 3 years, just felt one year was kind of short is all. Now I know all the wording meant was that if I let it go inactive then it would expire. That is perfectly fine and understandable.

I am basing it on the Ex Discover did when they approved me that was Fico 8 758 and when they pulled my TU for there free Fico score that is 753. I think both of those are Fico model 8.

My reports look spotless to me and Discover says what helps my credit is no lates, what drags it down is short history. So I guess the accounts just need to be open longer to address issues with my report.

I have made a list of cards I hope to add in the next year or so. There are others I am not so sure about. I have the double cash and the US bank Cash+ as %100 want to apply at some point but then there is the AMEX BCE that I only want with the $250 sign on bonus. I was signing up for that one a week ago and when I hit submit the AMEX web site blew up and then they got rid of the offer. All they want to give me now is some stupid 100k MR point offer for a $450 AF card. I have no use for a card with an AF that high.

I am not the type that wants to app just for the heck of it.

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: I guess I have missed the boat on the FNBO Bucksback card

Postby kdm31091 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:36 pm

4ktvs wrote:
I am not the type that wants to app just for the heck of it.


You are a rare (and good) breed...look at myfico. People apping just for the heck of it day in and day out.



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests