The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
75 posts
Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby Nixon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Are all the links down? I may try for a second SM.
Image


kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby kdm31091 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Nixon wrote:Are all the links down? I may try for a second SM.


If you google the card, you can find a working link, but I don't know that apping right now is a great idea. With the card's future up in the air, even if approved, you have zero guarantee that you will keep the benefits.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby Nixon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Approved $6,000.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:46 pm

So in the event that all Sallie Mae Rewards cards become Upromise cards, how could I redeem the rewards? Am I right in thinking that there is a ton of red tape preventing me from taking a simple statement credit or cash deposit?From further research, I see getting cash is possible. I don't know if I'd want to bother with trying to get the 10% bonus, though.

I have no outstanding student loans, nor do I expect to have any.

Helping others save for college and/or grad school would be complicated, because the students (relatives) I would like to help have siblings, which means an already small reward sum (from light spending on the card) would have to be divided very thinly to avoid the appearance of favoritism.

My continuing professional education expenses I pay to non-profit universities, professional associations, and for-profit companies. I pay these by check and Discover at present. Would I need to take out a loan and/or pay with the Upromise MC to somehow redeem rewards against these expenses?

The online shopping portal looks great...but I feel the rewards would be a hassle to actually redeem. Actually not that difficult.

At first glance, it seems like I should close the card in the event of a switch to Upromise, or let it die from inactivity. Thoughts?
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:34 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:So in the event that all Sallie Mae Rewards cards become Upromise cards, how could I redeem the rewards? Am I right in thinking that there is a ton of red tape preventing me from taking a simple statement credit or cash deposit?From further research, I see getting cash is possible. I don't know if I'd want to bother with trying to get the 10% bonus, though.

I have no outstanding student loans, nor do I expect to have any.

Helping others save for college and/or grad school would be complicated, because the students (relatives) I would like to help have siblings, which means an already small reward sum (from light spending on the card) would have to be divided very thinly to avoid the appearance of favoritism.

My continuing professional education expenses I pay to non-profit universities, professional associations, and for-profit companies. I pay these by check and Discover at present. Would I need to take out a loan and/or pay with the Upromise MC to somehow redeem rewards against these expenses?

The online shopping portal looks great...but I feel the rewards would be a hassle to actually redeem. Actually not that difficult.

At first glance, it seems like I should close the card in the event of a switch to Upromise, or let it die from inactivity. Thoughts?


I have Upromise card and opted to set up a free Sallie Mae savings account. The Upromise rewards just get dumped in there every month, at which point you can transfer instantly as many as you want into your own checking (the savings has no min balance so who cares).

You can also request a paper check.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:32 am

So if you buy something with the Upromise MC on Amazon through their portal that isn't among the 3% bonus categories they list, do you earn 5% or just the base 1%?

Earning 8% on some Amazon stuff would be nice!
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby takeshi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:09 pm

kdm31091 wrote:Some on MF are spewing the "it's just a website update!" thing, but I think that's just sour grapes.

That's not sour grapes. Something like "I didn't want it anyway" would be sour grapes.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 pm

takeshi wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:Some on MF are spewing the "it's just a website update!" thing, but I think that's just sour grapes.

That's not sour grapes. Something like "I didn't want it anyway" would be sour grapes.

True. The fox only thought they were sour after he couldn't reach them. "Wishful thinking" would be a more accurate term.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:47 pm

How are you taking this, Vattené?

Annoyed that the program is likely to change so soon after you (through your wife) got the card? You think Upromise could be useful? Or you're waiting for official news and ignoring speculation?
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: The end of Sallie Mae Rewards?

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:06 pm

takeshi wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:Some on MF are spewing the "it's just a website update!" thing, but I think that's just sour grapes.

That's not sour grapes. Something like "I didn't want it anyway" would be sour grapes.


You're right. What I meant to say was, I think those people are in denial. It's not just a website update. Something's going on with the card.



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests