Barclaycard Card Upgrade? I guess

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
13 posts
morgacj2004
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Barclaycard Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby morgacj2004 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Got the following email this morning from BC. I guess World card sounds better than plain old Rewards!!!

C..............you've been selected for a credit card upgrade.



Congratulations!

You'll soon receive the Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard®, with great new benefits you're sure to like. Your new card features chip technology* — to make paying for purchases more secure at chip-card terminals in the U.S. and abroad.

You'll continue to earn points with every purchase. And there's absolutely no additional cost to you. The terms of your new Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard are the same as your current card.

Keep an eye out for your new card!

It will arrive shortly. When you receive it, follow the easy activation instructions, and create your PIN.

*What is a chip card, anyway?

A chip card is a credit card that uses encryption technology to protect your account when you make purchases at chip-card terminals. This helps reduce the risk of fraud and makes your card difficult to counterfeit. Learn more at BarclaycardUS.com/chipcard.

Look for your new Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard in the mail in a few weeks.





Enjoy these added benefits and services¹

Concierge Service plus exclusive MasterCard benefits

24/7 help with restaurant reservations, gift ideas and hard-to-find event tickets – just to name a few.

MasterCard Travel Services™

Take advantage of a suite of benefits, amenities and upgrades, preferential treatment, experienced travel advisors, and premium travel offers from best-in-class travel companies.

Travel and Purchase Protections

Covered events may be eligible for luggage reimbursement, trip cancellation and interruption, MasterRental™, purchase security and more. See the World MasterCard Guide to Benefits at BarclaycardUS.com for details.

For more information on these and other World MasterCard cardmember benefits, please visit mastercard.com/world.


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:57 pm

morgacj2004 wrote:You'll continue to earn points with every purchase. And there's absolutely no additional cost to you.

Just an additional cost to merchants, for benefits most customers will never use. It sounds cool and there is a soft CL, but it's more about swipe fees and marketing than giving customers additional overall value.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barclaycard does the same thing to my Platinum Sallie Mae. When even $1k Sallie Maes are now issued as WMC, my $4.5k Platinum is a rarity.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby jcarte29 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:58 am

For my fellow barclaycard carriers, how are they with the second CLI? (I received the first 6 months ago, and its a HP sadly)

So if Im gonna risk garden status and take another HP I am just curious on others experience. My initial credit line was 3k, then raised to 8k. Wouldnt mind it being north of 10k now.

TIA!
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $7,000 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,350 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby lobbythis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:23 pm

jcarte29 wrote:For my fellow barclaycard carriers, how are they with the second CLI? (I received the first 6 months ago, and its a HP sadly)

So if Im gonna risk garden status and take another HP I am just curious on others experience. My initial credit line was 3k, then raised to 8k. Wouldnt mind it being north of 10k now.

TIA!



I just got my second one on my Rewards card. I'd much rather have the Arrival+, but I know I would get denied for that. They are extremely conservative to me compared to any other creditor I have.

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby jcarte29 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 pm

lobbythis wrote:
jcarte29 wrote:For my fellow barclaycard carriers, how are they with the second CLI? (I received the first 6 months ago, and its a HP sadly)

So if Im gonna risk garden status and take another HP I am just curious on others experience. My initial credit line was 3k, then raised to 8k. Wouldnt mind it being north of 10k now.

TIA!



I just got my second one on my Rewards card. I'd much rather have the Arrival+, but I know I would get denied for that. They are extremely conservative to me compared to any other creditor I have.



I have good news to report as well! I called Barclaycard for the CLI (I asked for 4k increase). They did do a hard pull (as I anticipated) and while they couldn't grant the entire increase, they still increased it by 2350 (no idea for the "extra" 350 and not just 5, but whatever)

I then logged into my GM Chevrolet Card and asked for a 4k increase as well (soft pull), and was granted 3 of it. So I'm slowly and surely getting each of my limits upto the 10k range (at least the ones I care about the most).
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $7,000 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,350 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby lobbythis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:04 pm

jcarte29 wrote:
lobbythis wrote:
jcarte29 wrote:For my fellow barclaycard carriers, how are they with the second CLI? (I received the first 6 months ago, and its a HP sadly)

So if Im gonna risk garden status and take another HP I am just curious on others experience. My initial credit line was 3k, then raised to 8k. Wouldnt mind it being north of 10k now.

TIA!



I just got my second one on my Rewards card. I'd much rather have the Arrival+, but I know I would get denied for that. They are extremely conservative to me compared to any other creditor I have.



I have good news to report as well! I called Barclaycard for the CLI (I asked for 4k increase). They did do a hard pull (as I anticipated) and while they couldn't grant the entire increase, they still increased it by 2350 (no idea for the "extra" 350 and not just 5, but whatever)

I then logged into my GM Chevrolet Card and asked for a 4k increase as well (soft pull), and was granted 3 of it. So I'm slowly and surely getting each of my limits upto the 10k range (at least the ones I care about the most).


Barclaycard can be very odd with the increases. My first one was $1,890........................

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm in my 14th month with Sallie and 5th month with Arrival. I've not gotten any auto CLIs on either card, nor have I been willing to take a HP to request one.

I've not used either card much, and anecdotal evidence suggests Barclaycard really likes steady business and high spending relative to CL when considering auto CLIs.

Lately, I have changed two things that may increase the probability of a CLI on Sallie Mae. It's not my goal, but it may be a side effect:

1. I moved some CL ($2k of $4.5k) from Sallie to Arrival. I did this because Sallie has low caps, and Arrival is my only no-FTF card with even an online PIN. All my travel lately has been domestic, so I've not used it much. I just figured I'd reallocate the limit now in case Barclaycard adopted a stricter CL reallocation policy. A side effect of this is that spending on Sallie leads to high utilization more quickly, which may increase the odds of a CLI.

2. I'm "experimenting" (mostly amusing myself) with my spending to see if a change will trigger a CLI (on CSP) or some promotional rewards or APR offer (on anything). I'm using EDP less and Sallie and CSP more.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Kevin86475391
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby Kevin86475391 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:37 pm

morgacj2004 wrote:24/7 help with restaurant reservations, gift ideas and hard-to-find event tickets – just to name a few.

I love that gift ideas is one of the services! LOL, I want to call them up and be like, 'Okay, so Christmas is coming up, here's a list of people you've never heard of that I need to buy for. I'm sure you'll do a great job picking out the ideal gift."

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby Vermonster » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:24 am

jcarte29 wrote:So I'm slowly and surely getting each of my limits upto the 10k range (at least the ones I care about the most).


So what about asking for a CLI on that Amex? Easy SP online. You can ask for up to 3 times your current limit and normally you'll get an instant decision (most likely a counter offer).
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Barclay Card Upgrade? I guess

Postby jcarte29 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:55 am

Vermonster wrote:
jcarte29 wrote:So I'm slowly and surely getting each of my limits upto the 10k range (at least the ones I care about the most).


So what about asking for a CLI on that Amex? Easy SP online. You can ask for up to 3 times your current limit and normally you'll get an instant decision (most likely a counter offer).


Odd circumstance. I requested one back at the end of July, and was denied totally, even after a follow up phone call. They said my balance was too high (I admit I had run it up a bit but it's still in the 0 percent promo).

I'm actually glad you bring that up, because I want to ask if I have to still wait 90 days (which at this point will be less than 30) for the next request? Or if I can go ahead and do it?

I didn't press the issue because I didn't want to get in an argument with a creditor, but I was a bit disappointed (no one to blame but myself for the balance, but still, haven't missed any payment and it has always been more than the minimum, on ALL my cards, not just the AMEX)
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $7,000 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,350 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests