Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
78 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 pm

lobbythis wrote:My Rewards card shows chipped now too and anew design. Hopefully it was sent.

Did you request a new one? Or you just saw the image change?

I don't think the image change necessarily means a new one is already in the mail. After all, I only requested a chip on Arrival when I called, but both card images changed for me.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May


User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby lobbythis » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:33 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
lobbythis wrote:My Rewards card shows chipped now too and anew design. Hopefully it was sent.

Did you request a new one? Or you just saw the image change?

I don't think the image change necessarily means a new one is already in the mail. After all, I only requested a chip on Arrival when I called, but both card images changed for me.



No, I just meant I hope they are starting to send them out. I know the image doesn't mean anything. Worst case, I just report it lost and get the new one.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 pm

It came today. It does have a chip. My account number did not change.

I created the PIN online, but still need to activate it by using the chip somewhere. The website was pretty clear in saying it's a Chip+Sig card with PIN capability, but it didn't talk about the difference between online and offline PIN cards.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby lobbythis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:56 pm

Well, I'm not sure what the Rewards card is going to offer other than Chip + Sig since it's not a travel card, but I did get them to send a new one. It was super easy. I thought you had to do it through customer service, but they have it in your account settings and it takes 2 seconds to just request a new card. You don't even have to explain anything or give a reason.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:50 pm

lobbythis wrote:Well, I'm not sure what the Rewards card is going to offer other than Chip + Sig since it's not a travel card, but I did get them to send a new one. It was super easy. I thought you had to do it through customer service, but they have it in your account settings and it takes 2 seconds to just request a new card. You don't even have to explain anything or give a reason.

I think all Barclaycard cards with chips have the same signature-priority, PIN backup mode. Rewards, Arrival, Arrival+, and others (again, I think) are all signature-priority, PIN backup.

And related to this, can anyone suggest a merchant (preferably a chain common in the northeast) that is good for Barclaycard PIN activation? Or does any transaction approved by a signature count towards PIN activation?
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CC Deville » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:26 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
lobbythis wrote:Well, I'm not sure what the Rewards card is going to offer other than Chip + Sig since it's not a travel card, but I did get them to send a new one. It was super easy. I thought you had to do it through customer service, but they have it in your account settings and it takes 2 seconds to just request a new card. You don't even have to explain anything or give a reason.

I think all Barclaycard cards with chips have the same signature-priority, PIN backup mode. Rewards, Arrival, Arrival+, and others (again, I think) are all signature-priority, PIN backup.

And related to this, can anyone suggest a merchant (preferably a chain common in the northeast) that is good for Barclaycard PIN activation? Or does any transaction approved by a signature count towards PIN activation?


I would absolutely prefer Chip + PIN priority but I appreciate that for now banks like Barclaycard, Wells Fargo and the east coast credit unions (SDFCU, PENFED, ANDREWS FCU et al) offer at least Chip + PIN functionality at unmanned kiosks. It is better than nothing I suppose.

As far as activating the PIN...I looked at their website, Barclaycard clearly states that the PIN will be activated once you use your card with a cashier (point of sale, not online). It's almost as if they just want to be sure that the physical card is present.

"Activate your new PIN.
If you change your PIN, it won’t take effect until you use your card at a chip-card terminal with a cashier. Your first transaction will activate the PIN. You'll then be able to use the chip-and-PIN feature at self-service terminals."

So they don't say anything about needing to enter the PIN to activate it, just have the card present at a chip enabled merchant. Walmart, The Home Depot and most recently, Target are the only merchants near me that have actually turned on their EMV readers. I would imagine the North East (Boston, NYC, Philly) would have more turned on since those cities are frequented by overseas travelers. At any rate, Barclaycard knows that they are Chip + Signature priority so it has to just be the fact that they want to see a physical card or maybe the first purchase on the new card is programmed to be Chip + PIN priority with all subsequent being Signature priority. Give it a shot and let us know.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 pm

I just used Arrival at a manned chip terminal. It read it without difficulty and asked for a signature. I guess the PIN is activated now, though I've not had to use it.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby lobbythis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:14 pm

My new Rewards card with chip came in today and gave the same instructions in regards to PIN activation. I swear it said it was only to be used internationally, but I didn't pay attention too closely.



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests