Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
78 posts
whit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: ca

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby whit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Vermonster wrote:t"]Do euro cards let folks get cash out as cash advance and charge them as such?

Because right now i know every credit card I have has the capability to place a pin on it but it would be for cash advances which I don't have an interest in and don't see so in the future.

So it would be tricky to see if they can keep that aspect on it and make it a chip and pin card or if the former has to go away or what


Well the only way to get cash out would be at an ATM so it would know if it was for a purchase or cash advance.[/quote]

I don't think you're getting it but that's okay, probably me than you, I tend to talk in a way that most can't easily comprehend unless they read it word for word even though I limit the vocabulary level to that of a third grader.

There are terminals that will allow you to pay debit for purchases rather than credit, which also applies to self swipe POS systems stores/chains/merchants use to let folks check out.

So people can buy something with their debit card and enter their pin rather than hitting cancel and signing for the purchase.

They can also choose to get cash back if they don't see an ATM of their institution around and only want a twenty or two (I have seen terminals give me back upwards to 100, it really just depends on the merchant) and avoid non-their-institution ATM usage withdrawal fees.

So yes, to dunk your saying, you can get cash outside an ATM.

And even if that wasn't so, folks again can pay with debit and enter a pin. I remember eons ago when I was in HS, all I had was a bank card without a visa logo mind you, or mc, and was able to pin in my purchase at a terminal in an urban outfitters store.[/quote]

If you find that people aren't understanding you on a regular basis than perhaps it is not the fault of strangers. Lets be honest, you could stand to put a little more effort into the grammar of your posts. But, let me reword what I said to make it more clear for you.

The only way for a credit card to give a cash advance is to go to an ATM. There is one exception to this rule and that is Discover, but not at every merchant. Which is why from your experience you can do it "with a credit card." You can not, as you say "pay debit" with a credit card, even if you chose "debit" on the machine prior to swiping a credit card. So there is no way for most credit cards, at most merchants, to get cash back.[/quote]

What is it that they say about exceptions? That saying..

Fact is that you can swipe your cc at a terminal that is not an atm and get cash back.

Obviously you get it, that that is going to count as a cash advance.

In general, how many folks will know really? I can say because I work with folks day in and out that a good portion of them will get cashback and not realize it counts as a cash advance because it's not CREDIT/DEBIT buttons that simply pop up when swiping the discover card

But a simple question, do you want cash back, yes or no.

Btw, if you knew that discover was the exception you would have said most since your grammar is so awesome.

And I'm guessing if you didn't know that, thatmeans most likely you don't know if discover is the only exception.

I'm guessing you're one of those folks who know 40%, educate guess the 50% from common sense and reading online and 10% of fake it till you make it


Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby Vermonster » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:40 pm

whit wrote:Fact is that you can swipe your cc at a terminal that is not an atm and get cash back.

Obviously you get it, that that is going to count as a cash advance.

In general, how many folks will know really? I can say because I work with folks day in and out that a good portion of them will get cashback and not realize it counts as a cash advance because it's not CREDIT/DEBIT buttons that simply pop up when swiping the discover card


This is flat out wrong. You can not even get cash back when using a debit card as a credit card. There is no way to enter a PIN when swiping a credit card at anything other than an ATM. And as was mentioned earlier, using a Discover card is NOT a cash advance if it is under a certain amount (CC Devil says $40, so I'll take his word on it).

But there is still a fundamental difference between getting cash back using a Discover, and getting a cash advance. Even if this country were to switch to chip+PIN there would be no problem as Discover still separates Purchases and Cash Advances. Getting cash back when making a purchase is still a purchase, and withdrawing cash at an ATM is still a cash advance.

whit wrote:Btw, if you knew that discover was the exception you would have said most since your grammar is so awesome.

And I'm guessing if you didn't know that, thatmeans most likely you don't know if discover is the only exception.

I'm guessing you're one of those folks who know 40%, educate guess the 50% from common sense and reading online and 10% of fake it till you make it


You're right, I had never heard of the Discover "cash back" perk. I looked it up and educated myself. 90% of the time I either know what I'm talking about or I educate myself before I say anything. 10% of the time I AM faking it, but I have a strict personal rule against faking it and stating facts (faking it and stating an opinion is still based on my BAC :cheers: )
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

whit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: ca

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby whit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Okay, so you can still get cash back when you're at the check out line but you're stating that the difference is that it's not counted as a cash advance.

I'm currently out of the country so it's not so easy to put that to the test but I'll be more than happy to figure out that myself

Still at the end of the day it doesn't matter because what started this whole debate is the cash out of a credit card being not possible if not at an atm

Versus it's not possible, but, you can get cash back and it would be deemed as a purchase and therefore won't count as cash advance.

Which isn't completely confirmed just yet but still, I can get cash back off a credit card right? I can get it at a non atm right?

Regardless it started off as a wonder/ponder since I had a European couple come and tell me they took cash advance off their chase sapphire preferred overseas and didn't expect to get a cash advance fee because the credit cards they use in Europe doesn't do so

And I just used my debit card at an atm in the carribeans and I think I figured out the confusion or I hope so since I took cash advance out of the atm (it was labeled as such and there was no other option) and yes it was a debit card

Eta and now after that reply I think your grammar does suck and I'm sorry it's more like 90% educated guess and 10% faking it

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CC Deville » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I see that the Arrival finally has a Chip. Let us know if you are able to request one CarefulBuilder

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm

CC Deville wrote:I see that the Arrival finally has a Chip. Let us know if you are able to request one CarefulBuilder

I just called and got a competent-sounding CSR. She wasn't totally clear on the latest news around the chip, but asked someone else there and they are apparently sending them out. The chipped card should be here in 7-10 days via snail mail.

My favorite use for Arrival has been for rewards "double dipping" with Amex offers. :D
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

amex007
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: NY

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby amex007 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:15 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
CC Deville wrote:I see that the Arrival finally has a Chip. Let us know if you are able to request one CarefulBuilder

I just called and got a competent-sounding CSR. She wasn't totally clear on the latest news around the chip, but asked someone else there and they are apparently sending them out. The chipped card should be here in 7-10 days via snail mail.

My favorite use for Arrival has been for rewards "double dipping" with Amex offers. :D


How are you double-dipping for Arrival with Amex offers?
Good to hear that they're mailing out Arrivals with the chip now but do we have to request it or do they automatically mail them out?
Amex Gold NPSL | Amex ED 28500 | Barclaycard Arrival 17500 | Hyatt visa signature 5000
sockdrawer-- GM 4000 | Unionplus 2200
EX 795 EQ 786 TU 790

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am

amex007 wrote:How are you double-dipping for Arrival with Amex offers?
Good to hear that they're mailing out Arrivals with the chip now but do we have to request it or do they automatically mail them out?

I go through the RewardsBoost portal that a few Barclaycard cards have, but then pay with an Amex. Barclaycard may crack down on this later, and maybe even reverse the points people have improperly earned. Last I checked, though, the Barclaycard portal will give a bonus even if you don't pay with that card.

If Amex has an offer of "Spend $100, get $20 back" and RewardsBoost has a 5 "miles"/$ bonus:
You spend $100. Barclaycard gives 5 miles/$, which is 500 miles, worth about $5.55 (assuming you get the full 10% back).
Amex gives $20 as a statement credit, plus normal card rewards on $80.

*Changed the example to something simpler.*
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CC Deville » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:21 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
CC Deville wrote:I see that the Arrival finally has a Chip. Let us know if you are able to request one CarefulBuilder

I just called and got a competent-sounding CSR. She wasn't totally clear on the latest news around the chip, but asked someone else there and they are apparently sending them out. The chipped card should be here in 7-10 days via snail mail.

My favorite use for Arrival has been for rewards "double dipping" with Amex offers. :D


Excellent!

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:05 pm

CC Deville wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
CC Deville wrote:I see that the Arrival finally has a Chip. Let us know if you are able to request one CarefulBuilder

I just called and got a competent-sounding CSR. She wasn't totally clear on the latest news around the chip, but asked someone else there and they are apparently sending them out. The chipped card should be here in 7-10 days via snail mail.

My favorite use for Arrival has been for rewards "double dipping" with Amex offers. :D


Excellent!

Given the misinformation I've gotten from them before, I'm not celebrating until I have the chipped card in my hand.

*I just logged into the Barclaycard website and the pictures of both Arrival and Sallie Mae show chips.*
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Barclaycard's Unremarkable Arrival

Postby lobbythis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:51 pm

My Rewards card shows chipped now too and anew design. Hopefully it was sent.



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests