Need some expert opinions on my next move

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
9 posts
RX350
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 am
Location: usa

Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby RX350 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Hey all..
Love the site I've learned a lot and few months back applied for sapphire and approved for 8k limit. Now I'm looking into 5% freedom or discover it. Here's my thing, I'd like for my wife to open the new card(build credit) she is currently a secondary on my sapphire and I asked chase if she were to open a freedom as primary and me as secondary could I be able to combine points/ACCTS said no :( . so now what should I do? Should she just go ahead and do freedom and keep separate or should she go discover it and then I can open a freedom.
How long should I wait before opening new card? I've had sapphire 4 months paid every month and my credit is somewhat good.

Thanks!


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:34 pm

RX350 wrote:I asked chase if she were to open a freedom as primary and me as secondary could I be able to combine points/ACCTS said no

The Chase website says you should be able to transfer UR points to a spouse or domestic partner - even if there's no secondary/joint card holders or AUs.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby Vermonster » Fri May 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Best option is to make both Freedom and CSP Joint cards. They will report to all CBs as though it is your own card, unlike an AU. And you should have one set of UR points because both cards are the exact same number.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

RX350
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 am
Location: usa

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby RX350 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:42 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
RX350 wrote:I asked chase if she were to open a freedom as primary and me as secondary could I be able to combine points/ACCTS said no

The Chase website says you should be able to transfer UR points to a spouse or domestic partner - even if there's no secondary/joint card holders or AUs.

hm i wonder if the rep meant accounts. here is the response i got:

Let me share that only Primary and Secondary cardmembers
can view and access the account online. Therefore, you
will not be able to add your wife's account to your online
profile. Additionally, the option to add a Secondary
customer is not available.

Vermonster wrote:Best option is to make both Freedom and CSP Joint cards. They will report to all CBs as though it is your own card, unlike an AU. And you should have one set of UR points because both cards are the exact same number.

how would i do that? i thought i saw that chase no longer does joint cards. i could be wrong though
heres a link i found http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/24/pf/joint-credit-cards/

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby Vermonster » Fri May 08, 2015 2:12 pm

I guess so. I at the time she was my girlfriend so I made he an AU on my Freedom. After we got engaged I was allowed to make her a Joint card holder. That was in early 2013 though. It looks like chase will only do an AU now but unlike most AUs they actually report it to CBs. So a Chase AU might be just as good as others Joint accounts.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

RX350
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 am
Location: usa

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby RX350 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Turns out chase reports authorized users to CB so I decided I'll just apply for a new card and add my wife again.
So my question is how long should I wait before applying. I got my CSP in feb and so far have made 3 payments

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby Vermonster » Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 pm

You should be good. Generally creditors aren't too worried about new accounts and inqs as long as they are their own. You can always send a SM and see if you are preapproved for a Freedom. Freedom is significantly easier to get than CSP so I doubt you'll have an issue.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby takeshi » Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 am

RX350 wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
RX350 wrote:I asked chase if she were to open a freedom as primary and me as secondary could I be able to combine points/ACCTS said no

The Chase website says you should be able to transfer UR points to a spouse or domestic partner - even if there's no secondary/joint card holders or AUs.

hm i wonder if the rep meant accounts. here is the response i got:

Let me share that only Primary and Secondary cardmembers
can view and access the account online. Therefore, you
will not be able to add your wife's account to your online
profile. Additionally, the option to add a Secondary
customer is not available.

That's a separate matter from transferring UR points. Accounts do not need to be part of your online profile in order to transfer UR points.

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
RX350 wrote:I asked chase if she were to open a freedom as primary and me as secondary could I be able to combine points/ACCTS said no

The Chase website says you should be able to transfer UR points to a spouse or domestic partner - even if there's no secondary/joint card holders or AUs.

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name ... ewards_FAQ
Can I combine the points I earn from other Chase Ultimate Rewards cards?

Yes, you can move points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, your spouse or domestic partner, as applicable.


RX350 wrote:How long should I wait before opening new card? I've had sapphire 4 months paid every month and my credit is somewhat good.

It's really impossible to say with that info and still difficult to say even with all the details in your reports as we're not underwriters. What does "somewhat good" mean? We know you have an 8K CSP and that seems good but is that your only card? Is that your only credit account reporting?

If I had to guess I'd say you're probably in good shape to apply for another card but that's just a guess.

RX350
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 am
Location: usa

Re: Need some expert opinions on my next move

Postby RX350 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 am

Thanks..I applied for freedom and got approved for 7.5k thanks for your guys help!



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests