Building A Relations With Chase to Get Chase Sapphire Preferred

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
20 posts
Taalar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:50 pm
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Postby Taalar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Low balances do help, but have you asked Chase if you could just switch one of your current cards to a Sapphire? I just switched my chase card to a chase freedom.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infiniti $59,500
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature $47,500
American Express Blue Cash preferred. $35,500
Capital one Quick Silver Visa Signature $25,000
USAA Limitless Cashback Visa Signature $25,000
Experian 838 Transunion 833 Equifax 855


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4444
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Taalar wrote:Low balances do help, but have you asked Chase if you could just switch one of your current cards to a Sapphire? I just switched my chase card to a chase freedom.


The CSP signup bonus is 40,000 points. That's $400 cash, or $600-$1000 or more in travel value if you transfer points well. That's many years of annual fees on the card, and you can only get the bonus if you open CSP as a new account.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:45 am

Taalar wrote:Low balances do help, but have you asked Chase if you could just switch one of your current cards to a Sapphire? I just switched my chase card to a chase freedom.


He could do that but the biggest disadvantage of doing that would be the lack of a sign up bonus. It's much better to convert a CSP to a Freedom after the first year and already have another Freedom IMO. That's how you can technically have two of the cards.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

emergent
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: United States

Postby emergent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:58 am

I would say it definitely helps. When I applied for my CSP I was low 600's, but had a checking account with them. The only other card I had at the time was a Barclaycard Financing with a $600 limit. I also had a couple of collections, and a store card that was charged off. I was approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred with a $8000 limit.

Taalar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:50 pm
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Postby Taalar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Ok, point taken. I always have been looking at the long term and have avoided the HP for getting new cards. Last 2 years I have only 1 inquiry HP for a new car I just purchased. :) As you say, sometimes those are some pretty big bonus's.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infiniti $59,500
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature $47,500
American Express Blue Cash preferred. $35,500
Capital one Quick Silver Visa Signature $25,000
USAA Limitless Cashback Visa Signature $25,000
Experian 838 Transunion 833 Equifax 855

dickdaney
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 am
Location: USA

Postby dickdaney » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:09 pm

A relationship with the card issuer may help but not that much. It's your credit score and credit history (length & type of credit) that matter. I applied for the CSP in September 14. Was auto approved for an 18k limit. I don't have any chase accounts. My credit history is long-ish and diverse (15 years, Mortgage, cars, motorcycles, credit cards, unsecured personal loans.) all paid on time, and credit cards PIF. The longer and more diverse your credit history, the easier it is to get approved for anything.

FWIW, why don't you just call chase and ask to convert your marriot card to a CSP?
Amex PRG
Amex Delta Platinum
Bank of America Travel Rewards
Chase Sapphire Preferred

amex007
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: NY

Postby amex007 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:53 pm

popamode72 wrote:I've been with Chase since August of last year and started out with their southwest card. Worked with it for a few months and went for AARP in October and ritz Carlton in December. Both approved after verification. Went for Amazon a month later after ritz approval after many times in the past of getting denied for it and finally getting it and earlier this month went for CSP and got the message saying id need to call them to verify things and this was on a Friday night when lending department closed. Few hours later the card showed up on my chase page with a 5k limit.


Interesting. Looks like a 5k limit is pretty standard for Chase. Just got approved for a Chase Hyatt card with 5k limit. Wasnt higher because i had a chargeoff with them about a decade ago.
lobbythis's friend only got a 5k limit also and i hear other ppl saying that's where they started at also.
Amex Gold NPSL | Amex ED 28500 | Barclaycard Arrival 17500 | Hyatt visa signature 5000
sockdrawer-- GM 4000 | Unionplus 2200
EX 795 EQ 786 TU 790

amex007
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: NY

Postby amex007 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:23 pm

dickdaney wrote:A relationship with the card issuer may help but not that much. It's your credit score and credit history (length & type of credit) that matter. I applied for the CSP in September 14. Was auto approved for an 18k limit. I don't have any chase accounts. My credit history is long-ish and diverse (15 years, Mortgage, cars, motorcycles, credit cards, unsecured personal loans.) all paid on time, and credit cards PIF. The longer and more diverse your credit history, the easier it is to get approved for anything.

FWIW, why don't you just call chase and ask to convert your marriot card to a CSP?


dickdaney, i dont think your stellar credit is a good example for what the question was asking haha. You would have been approved regardless of whether you had a prior checking acct or not.
As for converting to CSP - Dont do it! You're totally missing out on a 40k bonus pts, unless they give you the option to convert and still receive the bonus pts.
Amex Gold NPSL | Amex ED 28500 | Barclaycard Arrival 17500 | Hyatt visa signature 5000
sockdrawer-- GM 4000 | Unionplus 2200
EX 795 EQ 786 TU 790

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:38 pm

amex007 wrote:Interesting. Looks like a 5k limit is pretty standard for Chase. Just got approved for a Chase Hyatt card with 5k limit. Wasnt higher because i had a chargeoff with them about a decade ago.
lobbythis's friend only got a 5k limit also and i hear other ppl saying that's where they started at also.


On each of their AF cards, they've always given me $5k so I'm pretty fortunate I didn't have to move any credit to open those. Freedom's my last card though. I don't need any more than 3-4 from Chase.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

dickdaney
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 am
Location: USA

Postby dickdaney » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:12 pm

amex007 wrote:dickdaney, i dont think your stellar credit is a good example for what the question was asking haha. You would have been approved regardless of whether you had a prior checking acct or not.
As for converting to CSP - Dont do it! You're totally missing out on a 40k bonus pts, unless they give you the option to convert and still receive the bonus pts.


I was just trying to point out that your credit history is much more important than if you have a checking or investment account with the card issuer.
Amex PRG
Amex Delta Platinum
Bank of America Travel Rewards
Chase Sapphire Preferred



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests