Getting a second card from Barclaycard

Discuss the Visa & MasterCard payment networks as well as cards that operate through them.
32 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:03 pm

djrez4 wrote:Barclays charges the annual fee on the 13th statement. I got my 10,000 mile bonus and then closed them before the fee as due.


Ahh, I see that is a bonus when you spend $25,000 in a year on the card. Nicely done.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when


User avatar
djrez4
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby djrez4 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:41 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Ahh, I see that is a bonus when you spend $25,000 in a year on the card. Nicely done.


Bonuses were for simply holding the card for a year. Initial bonuses were first purchase. I put $17 on one and under $10 on the second, waited 12 months, and collected 90k miles total.
[RIGHT][size=100]- Sapphire Preferred - Freedom - Ink - Platinum - Everyday Preferred -[/size]
[/RIGHT]

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 am

djrez4 wrote:Bonuses were for simply holding the card for a year. Initial bonuses were first purchase. I put $17 on one and under $10 on the second, waited 12 months, and collected 90k miles total.


What the hell...I hate my life.

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:50 am

djrez4 wrote:Barclays charges the annual fee on the 13th statement. I got my 10,000 mile bonus and then closed them before the fee as due.


Does that go for all of Barclays's travel cards? I didn't know that.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

User avatar
djrez4
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby djrez4 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 am

lobbythis wrote:What the hell...I hate my life.


Scratch that. 100k miles. 40k each for the initial bonus and 10k for the annual.

popamode72 wrote:Does that go for all of Barclays's travel cards? I didn't know that.


I couldn't say. My Arrival is not up for renewal yet, so my experience only extends to the US Airways cards.
[RIGHT][size=100]- Sapphire Preferred - Freedom - Ink - Platinum - Everyday Preferred -[/size]

[/RIGHT]

User avatar
otter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

Postby otter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:04 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Am I right in thinking that Arrival+ only comes as WEMC? I couldn't apply and get stuck with a WMC Arrival+ with an annual fee and great rewards, but no chip? The Sallie Mae card had a 'Platinum clause' readily displayed in the fine print, but I don't see one mentioning Platinum or WMC in the Arrival+ fine print. I know some people on here had trouble upgrading old Arrival+ cards to WEMC, but are all new Arrival+ card automatically WEMC?

Sallie Mae is also getting almost exclusively 5% spending, so they are losing money on me right now.

How have others been able to get second cards from Barclaycard? Lots of spending outside of bonus categories? Lots of swipes? A high volume of spending? A high income relative to existing credit limits?

I figure an auto CLI on Sallie Mae might be a good indication that I would be okay to go for the Arrival+ after 6 months. Has anyone been declined for a second card right after an auto CLI on the first?

Any other input, besides the usual ideas to keep utilization low, pay in full, and avoid other inquiries?


I have an Arrival which isn't a World MC, but I got it before they changed the card so not sure if they are like now like CSP (you either get $5000 and signature/world or nothing at all). I did try to change to WEMC after they increased my limit to $7000 but no dice.

Here's my history with Barclaycard if that helps: Got my first Barclaycard (rewards) in August '13 with a $1500 limit. Got Sallie Mae right before six months with $3700 limit. Asked for CLI on rewards card, approved. Moved CL from rewards to Sallie Mae and closed rewards. Approved for Arrival 3 months later @ $4000. Recently requested and received CLI's on both. So lots (although not FMC or B&T level-around 10) of inquiries but pretty low utilization.
In my Wallet:
  • Amex PRG NPSL[3-14, bd 91]
  • Sallie Mae MC $8000[1-14]
  • Chase Freedom $4700[1-14]
  • Discover It $2750[8-13]
  • BoA UCF Alumni Cash Rewards $5000 [3-15]
Sometimes in my Wallet:
  • GM BuyPower WEMC $5000[9-14]
  • Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex $7000[4-14]
  • Barclaycard Arrival WEMC $7000[3-14]
  • BoA Better Balance $3000[2-15]
In my sockdrawer: Amex BCE $1000[10-13, bd 91], OCCU Duck $10000 [11-13], The Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000[8-14], Chase Slate $4000 [9-14]Delta Gold Amex $2000 [2-15 bd 91], Diners Club MC $20000 [10-14] Commerce Bank Visa $2000 [3-15] Citi Double Cash $1000 [3-15]
Total CL: $90450

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 pm

otter wrote:I have an Arrival which isn't a World MC, but I got it before they changed the card so not sure if they are like now like CSP (you either get $5000 and signature/world or nothing at all). I did try to change to WEMC after they increased my limit to $7000 but no dice.

Here's my history with Barclaycard if that helps: Got my first Barclaycard (rewards) in August '13 with a $1500 limit. Got Sallie Mae right before six months with $3700 limit. Asked for CLI on rewards card, approved. Moved CL from rewards to Sallie Mae and closed rewards. Approved for Arrival 3 months later @ $4000. Recently requested and received CLI's on both. So lots (although not FMC or B&T level-around 10) of inquiries but pretty low utilization.


I've been told a lot that Barclays is really inquiry sensitive and do a lot of SPs on reports to make sure that people aren't applying for other cards for the first six months so I guess they don't mind as much when you apply for another card of theirs slightly before six months like how you did it there.

I got instantly approved for my first Barclay card on Sunday, though it wasn't the Sallie Mae. Seems like they have much tighter requirements on that card than they did for the US Airways one for whatever reason besides that they're probably trying to promote the US Airways card as much as they can. Either way, I hope that having some positive history on that card and older accounts in the future will really help me out to still get the Sallie Mae eventually, move the limit of my US Airways card over to that and close it so I don't have to pay the annual fee.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 pm

popamode72 wrote:I've been told a lot that Barclays is really inquiry sensitive and do a lot of SPs on reports to make sure that people aren't applying for other cards for the first six months so I guess they don't mind as much when you apply for another card of theirs slightly before six months like how you did it there.


So do most lenders do regular (monthly or more often) soft pulls on their existing customers? And those that do get all the same information they'd see when doing a hard pull?

I wonder how much Discover and Barclaycard actually pay for my TU FICO score and soft-pulled TU report. How much does a hard pull actually cost a major lender? There must be some major volume discount.

It does make me want to avoid lenders that won't give at least a small auto CLI each year. If they are soft-pulling me anyway, they'd see me becoming a more attractive risk. Then again, they might also see new 'high credit' milestones on other cards, and know I'm not exactly loyal to the old cards.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

@SoFla
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: US

Postby @SoFla » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:50 pm

I wanted to give you my 2 cents, while I can't answer in reference to a 2nd Barclay card, fortunately I was just approved for the Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard (my first Barclay card). I read quite a few reviews by consumers who were denied, so as you can imagine pressing the apply button was a bit stressful. My credit history is limited, I waited until I graduated from college before I got my first credit card/line of credit :/

My concerns were that my history was limited (about 3 years) though I did recently purchase my first home in January so I imagine that helps a bit, I've heard if they see that you have and pay a mortgage it shows stability. I also had applied and received a card 3 months ago or so. My credit score according to credit karma is 694. I can't be sure on accuracy as I do not Monitor any other FICO scores.

My current cards are the Capital One Quicksilver (my first which was upgraded from a lower CapOne card), American Express Premier Rewards Gold, and most recently the Chase Freedom, so I was presently surprised to receive approval for the Barclay Arrival Plus.

I hope this helps as it pertains to someone considering their options for approval.

Good luck and take care

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:15 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:So do most lenders do regular (monthly or more often) soft pulls on their existing customers? And those that do get all the same information they'd see when doing a hard pull?

I wonder how much Discover and Barclaycard actually pay for my TU FICO score and soft-pulled TU report. How much does a hard pull actually cost a major lender? There must be some major volume discount.

It does make me want to avoid lenders that won't give at least a small auto CLI each year. If they are soft-pulling me anyway, they'd see me becoming a more attractive risk. Then again, they might also see new 'high credit' milestones on other cards, and know I'm not exactly loyal to the old cards.



Most lenders I've had don't give auto CLIs every year, including Amex, Chase, US Bank and many other desirable lenders. Nothing is guaranteed. If you need a lender where you are guaranteed to get a CLI, well good luck and let us know which one that is. Most of them MAY but also might not as well.


As far as soft pull frequency, it seems like it ranges from every 6 months or longer (Associated which is Elan or US Bank) to every few months (Amex). I think it's really YMMV though as I've heard of people being pulled by the same lenders I have at a different frequency so it's how comfortable they are with you as a customer.


As far as Barclays it seems that if you had to recon your approval and were on shaky ground to start with they watch you more. Most people don't have an issue even opening new cards, while others do. Again it's always YMMV but it seems if you started on shaky ground they watch you more and care more about that. Barclays and AA is kind of like FR for Amex - it happens but not as often as some people think.



Return to “Visa & MasterCard”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests