Letter from Chase regarding my checking account

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
14 posts
sakhalin
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: West Coast

Letter from Chase regarding my checking account

Postby sakhalin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:34 am

I received a letter in the mail from Chase. They are requesting information from me to "comply with Chase policy". They need my citizenship, my employer, and my income.

Is this some sort of scam? I only have a checking account with Chase, so why would they need this information?
AMEX BCE ($20,000), Citi Forward ($6,800), Discover IT ($5,250), BoA Travel Rewards ($1,800)


MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:05 am

For a checking account, I have no idea. They are required by law to verify your identity, but I think the keywords "comply with Chase policy" says it all - they aren't trying the usual tired lie that they are required to get this information by the "Patriot Act" to save America from the terrorists or that sort of BS it's just a Chase thing. They can request, but for a checking account I highly doubt you have to give them that information. I mean they can ask whatever they want just because they ask doesn't mean you must comply or you will be tortured by the Gestapo to save this great nation.


I'd ignore it personally. I have a checking account and 2 credit cards with them and they haven't sent me that letter yet.

User avatar
djrez4
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby djrez4 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 am

It's nothing to worry about. Just part of Chase's KYC policy. If you're worried about calling in, bring the letter in to your branch and speak to a banker.
[RIGHT][size=100]- Sapphire Preferred - Freedom - Ink - Platinum - Everyday Preferred -[/size]
[/RIGHT]

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 am

I followed that link, God that's sickening this country is more like the Third Reich every day.


I remember as a kid opening a savings account, back then you could do that without being harassed like you are a criminal or a terrorist. Now you can't even exist without having to prove you aren't about to try to fly airplanes into buildings or trying to fund Al Quaeda (even though the irony of it is, the US is probably funding various sects of them such as the rebels in Syria even today, covertly if not openly).


What a fascist police state we live in. The American Nazi party must love what we are now.

User avatar
djrez4
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby djrez4 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 am

MemberSince99 wrote:(even though the irony of it is, the US is probably funding various sects of them such as the rebels in Syria even today, covertly if not openly).


Not to feed your paranoia, but Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan and Syria today. We're victims of our own blowback.
[RIGHT][size=100]- Sapphire Preferred - Freedom - Ink - Platinum - Everyday Preferred -[/size]

[/RIGHT]

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Postby Vattené » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:I followed that link, God that's sickening this country is more like the Third Reich every day.


I remember as a kid opening a savings account, back then you could do that without being harassed like you are a criminal or a terrorist. Now you can't even exist without having to prove you aren't about to try to fly airplanes into buildings or trying to fund Al Quaeda (even though the irony of it is, the US is probably funding various sects of them such as the rebels in Syria even today, covertly if not openly).


What a fascist police state we live in. The American Nazi party must love what we are now.


That's awful suspicious talk, there. Don't you think you should be more grateful to the State for taking such pains to protect you?
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

samhradh
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: United States

Postby samhradh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:35 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:What a fascist police state we live in. The American Nazi party must love what we are now.


In the future, please think again about comparing the current US Government to the Nazi Party. It does an injustice to those that had to live and die according to the whims of that regime.

That's all I'll say on this matter since getting into political debates on a forum is never wise.
Citi Forward ($10.1K), AmEx Blue Cash Everyday ($30K), Chase Freedom ($12.4K), Discover it ($5.5K), Barclaycard Arrival ($12.5K), L.L. Bean Visa ($5K). FICO 806 (TU), 812 (EQ), 806 (EX).

sakhalin
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: West Coast

Postby sakhalin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm

I just recently got hired by the U.S. government. Maybe Chase will leave me alone once I tell them? :P

I have two checking accounts, one at a local CU, and one at Chase. My Chase checking account is my secondary/backup one so I barely have any money in it, so I'm still surprised they want all this info. Oh well.
AMEX BCE ($20,000), Citi Forward ($6,800), Discover IT ($5,250), BoA Travel Rewards ($1,800)

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Vattené wrote:That's awful suspicious talk, there. Don't you think you should be more grateful to the State for taking such pains to protect you?



If I need "protecting" I'll be sure to let the State know.

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 pm

samhradh wrote:In the future, please think again about comparing the current US Government to the Nazi Party. It does an injustice to those that had to live and die according to the whims of that regime.

That's all I'll say on this matter since getting into political debates on a forum is never wise.



What about those who are living and dying and being tortured, bombed, imprisoned without charges or trial, and assassinated by the US regime? One regime killed Jews the other kills Muslims. Both are militaristic police states that spy relentlessly on their citizens and take away their rights in the name of "protecting" them, feed them endless propaganda and aggressively invade whomever they please. I would not say the US is quite as extreme as Nazi Germany YET, but we are a lot closer than we were 15 years ago. I hope I'm dead before it gets as bad, because if the things we are seeing continue, it will get that bad eventually, but again hopefully I'm dead by then and don't have to see it.


What is truly offensive about the statement is the truth in it, not that I said it.



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests