Considering Finance Degree

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
16 posts
kcarter609
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 am
Location: VA

Considering Finance Degree

Postby kcarter609 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi guys,
I'm in the hiring process for a certain job right now, but if that doesn't pan out, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Over the last few months I've thought about some sort of finance degree, since I really love math and numbers and I'm good at it. I just don't want to be a run of the mill accountant or someone stuck working at a bank for a mediocre $40k salary or something.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience/input on this industry, is the pay good, what's the best option, etc.

Just kicking the idea around.

Active Cards:
Chase Freedom 10+10 Visa Signature ($9k Limit - 8/2012)
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10k Limit - 2/2013)
Chase Ink Plus ($7k Limit - 2/2013)
Discover IT ($9.5k Limit - 10/2012)
AMEX Zync (No Pre-set Limit - 1/2010)
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday ($20k Limit - 1/2013 - Backdate to 1/2010)


jlam572
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Hawaii

Postby jlam572 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:05 pm

My uncle has a finance degree...along with many other degrees. He makes a very lucrative living as CFO for many asset management firms in hong kong and canada. He also has his PHD, his MBA, and his CPA though. Might want to look into that
American Express Platinum
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Hawaiian Airlines BOH MC
USAA Amex
Capital One Visa Platinum
Citi Diamond Preferred MC

Rory
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 pm
Location: MA

Postby Rory » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 pm

jlam572 wrote:My uncle has a finance degree...along with many other degrees. He makes a very lucrative living as CFO for many asset management firms in hong kong and canada. He also has his PHD, his MBA, and his CPA though. Might want to look into that

either most of those degrees are honorary or your uncle has more time than god. There is a incredibly large amount of finance majors in college today. Over half of harvard grads are going into financial management. Choose wisely and prove yourself to stand out of the crowd quick if you want to make 6 figures out the gate.
Amex Zync - NPSL (Cleared up to 25k)
Amex BCE - 12000 limit
Amex BCP - 4200 limit
FIA Rewards Amex- 3500 limit
Chase Freedom - 2000 limit
Chase Slate - 2000 Limit
BoA Cash Rewards Privileges- 3000 limit
Barclaycard Rewards MC - 3000 limit
Discover IT- 3500 limit
Marriott PR- 5000 limit
21 years old with alot of life to spend ;)
Its not about the ending, its about the journey,
just as long as the ending is just as good :cool:

kcarter609
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 am
Location: VA

Postby kcarter609 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Rory wrote:either most of those degrees are honorary or your uncle has more time than god. There is a incredibly large amount of finance majors in college today. Over half of harvard grads are going into financial management. Choose wisely and prove yourself to stand out of the crowd quick if you want to make 6 figures out the gate.


Any suggestions how? Lol.

Active Cards:
Chase Freedom 10+10 Visa Signature ($9k Limit - 8/2012)
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10k Limit - 2/2013)
Chase Ink Plus ($7k Limit - 2/2013)
Discover IT ($9.5k Limit - 10/2012)
AMEX Zync (No Pre-set Limit - 1/2010)
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday ($20k Limit - 1/2013 - Backdate to 1/2010)

jlam572
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Hawaii

Postby jlam572 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Rory wrote:either most of those degrees are honorary or your uncle has more time than god. There is a incredibly large amount of finance majors in college today. Over half of harvard grads are going into financial management. Choose wisely and prove yourself to stand out of the crowd quick if you want to make 6 figures out the gate.


Nope, they are legit. He studied here in the states, HK, and in the UK. How did he do it? He has no kids and hes a workaholic lol.
American Express Platinum

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Hawaiian Airlines BOH MC

USAA Amex

Capital One Visa Platinum

Citi Diamond Preferred MC

Rory
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 pm
Location: MA

Postby Rory » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 pm

eventually you would like to be a CFO or something close right? Well i suggest you go back to school or apply to college. Transfer to a decent top 10 business school sophomore year. Work like your future depends on it, it really does. Network like crazy, make friends with your successful and well connected professors and peers. Keep your GPA up, be active in and around the campus, make yourself known. After graduation or during senior year apply to a internship program at a company like goldmansachs or fidelity. Business school is probably going to be necessary but if you get a full time job at a financial institution they may be able to help you pay or give you time off for classes. From their just keep posting great numbers and climb however you can. Eventually you will be sought out by a head hunter for a higher position at a smaller company and from their youre golden suffice to say that the new company doesnt go under. Theres my quick guide to making it in the financial industry. lol. btw be as ethical as possible, without suffering profits and you will be king (thats the hard part)

jLam572 give your uncle a high five for me, he must be a certifiable genius to have all those degrees without losing his mind. I settle with a BA and MBA, to invest that much in your own knowledge and keep up a job as CFO isnt easy. One of my uncles is also a CFO for an tax agency, makes about $180k a year and has a happy life with his wife and daughter.
Amex Zync - NPSL (Cleared up to 25k)

Amex BCE - 12000 limit

Amex BCP - 4200 limit

FIA Rewards Amex- 3500 limit

Chase Freedom - 2000 limit

Chase Slate - 2000 Limit

BoA Cash Rewards Privileges- 3000 limit

Barclaycard Rewards MC - 3000 limit

Discover IT- 3500 limit

Marriott PR- 5000 limit

21 years old with alot of life to spend ;)

Its not about the ending, its about the journey,

just as long as the ending is just as good :cool:

kcarter609
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 am
Location: VA

Postby kcarter609 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Rory wrote:eventually you would like to be a CFO or something close right? Well i suggest you go back to school or apply to college. Transfer to a decent top 10 business school sophomore year. Work like your future depends on it, it really does. Network like crazy, make friends with your successful and well connected professors and peers. Keep your GPA up, be active in and around the campus, make yourself known. After graduation or during senior year apply to a internship program at a company like goldmansachs or fidelity. Business school is probably going to be necessary but if you get a full time job at a financial institution they may be able to help you pay or give you time off for classes. From their just keep posting great numbers and climb however you can. Eventually you will be sought out by a head hunter for a higher position at a smaller company and from their youre golden suffice to say that the new company doesnt go under. Theres my quick guide to making it in the financial industry. lol. btw be as ethical as possible, without suffering profits and you will be king (thats the hard part)

jLam572 give your uncle a high five for me, he must be a certifiable genius to have all those degrees without losing his mind. I settle with a BA and MBA, to invest that much in your own knowledge and keep up a job as CFO isnt easy. One of my uncles is also a CFO for an tax agency, makes about $180k a year and has a happy life with his wife and daughter.


Appreciate the tip. I'll keep it in mind in case this current job doesn't work out.

Active Cards:
Chase Freedom 10+10 Visa Signature ($9k Limit - 8/2012)
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10k Limit - 2/2013)
Chase Ink Plus ($7k Limit - 2/2013)
Discover IT ($9.5k Limit - 10/2012)
AMEX Zync (No Pre-set Limit - 1/2010)
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday ($20k Limit - 1/2013 - Backdate to 1/2010)

DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Rory wrote:either most of those degrees are honorary or your uncle has more time than god. There is a incredibly large amount of finance majors in college today. Over half of harvard grads are going into financial management. Choose wisely and prove yourself to stand out of the crowd quick if you want to make 6 figures out the gate.


Um, I have a PhD, an MBA, and 3 master's degrees in technical subjects. I have been a C-level executive, a consultant, including to high levels of government, and various other things while earning those degrees. It takes hard work of course, and time, but it can be done.

DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 pm

It's a good degree. I have an MBA in finance. But, there are a lot of unemployed experienced finance people right now so you will likely face competition for jobs.

jlam572
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Hawaii

Postby jlam572 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Rory wrote:
jLam572 give your uncle a high five for me, he must be a certifiable genius to have all those degrees without losing his mind. I settle with a BA and MBA, to invest that much in your own knowledge and keep up a job as CFO isnt easy. One of my uncles is also a CFO for an tax agency, makes about $180k a year and has a happy life with his wife and daughter.


He is a brilliant man, but it was mostly his hard work. He went to school for the better part of 30 years off and on. Hes an inspiration to me...I wish I had half the energy and motivation.
American Express Platinum

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Hawaiian Airlines BOH MC

USAA Amex

Capital One Visa Platinum

Citi Diamond Preferred MC



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests