Whatever you do, do not use Sallie Mae, someone called me from them yesterday and I have no loans from them whatsoever, I have heard a lot of negative things about them. This is a forum I follow (I found while looking to help my friend pay off some debt) and these are there experiences http://forgivestudentloandebt.com/content/share-your-student-loan-stories
Interesting... I have had great experiences with Sallie Mae. Their CS is understanding and up to par. I have heard that a lot of scammers use their name since they are a larger student loan lender.
I also used Citi as well. Never really had an issue with them and the CS is decent. If I can do back in time I would not use Citi since:
- Their website is confusing
- They only track payment history if you pay via their site and register your checking account
- If you use bill pay through your bank they will not have any payment records to view on their payment history
- 10% APR is ridiculous for a student loan (10 years ago)
- Called to lower APR but refused stating that the loan is a private student loan
I cannot comment on Wells Fargo since I have no personal experience with them.