Why is my credit score going down?

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
7 posts
Grupet
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:04 pm
Location: New York

Why is my credit score going down?

Postby Grupet » Sat May 26, 2012 5:37 pm

I check credit karma once a month, and in the beginning of the year, my score was 731, then it went down to 721 and just checked it today, and now it's dropped to 712.

  • I pay everything on time, never been late with anything.
  • I haven't acquired any new credit cards for a couple of years, except I upgraded my gold Amex to a platinum Amex December last year.
  • I mainly use my Amex platinum, but also use my other 2 credit cards (master cards) a little bit each month, just to keep them active.
What's the reason my score keeps going down and not up?

Thanks
American Express Platinum
HSBC Platinum Master Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Master Card


namvet
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: Texas

Postby namvet » Sun May 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Don't pay any attention to Credit Karma scores. I've had the same thing happen to me. Check your real Fico scores.

Grupet
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:04 pm
Location: New York

Postby Grupet » Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 am

Okay, thanks.
Where do I check my real Fico scores?
And will that effect my score?
American Express Platinum
HSBC Platinum Master Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Master Card

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:52 am

Someone please tell me why everyone is so credit score conscious? What's the big deal??? IF you pay all your bills on time and have the cards you want in hand then who cares!
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

User avatar
PlatinumAMEX94
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Denver

Postby PlatinumAMEX94 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:43 am

FastSRT8 wrote:Someone please tell me why everyone is so credit score conscious? What's the big deal??? IF you pay all your bills on time and have the cards you want in hand then who cares!


Easy said for the man carrying the highly sought after black card. EVERYONE wants a black card, but not everyone can afford or qualify for it. It's that high credit score that is going to win points win it comes to invitations. Plus everyone knows that the higher your credit score the better deals/rates/treatment you are given.
American Express Platinum Personal, Member since 94
Chase United Explorer - Visa Signature
Chase Sapphire Preferred
American Express Business Simply Cash

American Express Costco Business, American Express Platinum Business
Bank of America 10k, Capital One Venture World MasterCard 7.5k, Fidelity Visa Signature 10k
Citibank ThankYou Premier World MasterCard - Card Member since 91, 25k
Discover 10k Member since 91, Wells Fargo Personal & Business Visa Signature
USAA World MasterCard 12k, Chase Slate Exclusives Visa 5k

Lifelock member, USAA credit monitoring, Security Freezes E/E/TU, 800+

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:26 pm

PlatinumAMEX94 wrote:Easy said for the man carrying the highly sought after black card. EVERYONE wants a black card, but not everyone can afford or qualify for it. It's that high credit score that is going to win points win it comes to invitations. Plus everyone knows that the higher your credit score the better deals/rates/treatment you are given.


It's funny you raise this point. I for one just lived my life and didn't do anything out of the oridnary to get my invite. As a matter of fact, it just came in the mail and I was plesantly surprised.

So for me anyways, I didn't chase after credit scores or try to manipulate the system. Hell, I didn't ask for the black card either. It just came.

Don't fuss over it. IFyou qualify, they will know and send it to you.

By fretting over credit scores and continually checking it, there may be some sort of log so someone somewhere will know you are checking; thus figure out you are manipulating it too.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:33 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:It's funny you raise this point. I for one just lived my life and didn't do anything out of the oridnary to get my invite. As a matter of fact, it just came in the mail and I was plesantly surprised.

So for me anyways, I didn't chase after credit scores or try to manipulate the system. Hell, I didn't ask for the black card either. It just came.

Don't fuss over it. IFyou qualify, they will know and send it to you.

By fretting over credit scores and continually checking it, there may be some sort of log so someone somewhere will know you are checking; thus figure out you are manipulating it too.


Is it truly manipulating when you pay your balance before the statement date, and if you know how the system works and take full advantage of that without doing anything dishonest?

I don't think so. When you go for a job interview, you put on your best same with a date. Is that manipulation? I guess I don't truly believe it is, I think i's being smart and doing your best to get what you want in an ethical and legal way.



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest