Anyone offer to pay the tab at the table?

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
31 posts
fantasy86dj
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm
ICQ: 387113
WLM: katoomba@live.co.uk
Yahoo Messenger: mettymeta242
Location: Australia

Postby fantasy86dj » Thu May 24, 2012 5:46 pm

ivotedale wrote:Being that some rewards cards have annual fees and/or 5% bonus categories, do you foot the bill purposely?

To rephrase, I have the foodie pack via Amex Zync charge card, so I get 2x points on anything categorized as a restaurant/food establishment. Also, I have a few close friends that work in front-of-house in the restaurant industry, so they always carry a good amount of cash from their tips.

So for me to take advantage of the situation, I'll typically offer to pay the entire bill w/ my card, but have everyone else pay me back his/her share of the bill in cash after we're done. I do this with close friends/acquaintances of course; wouldn't do this on business/dates (haha!).

This typically adds up quick as far as points/cashback go- I earned a lot of cash back on gas station visits too so far w/ my Chase Freedom 5%!

Anyone else do something similar for points sake?


I was out with a lot of friends on a work function (the tab was $5000) and everyone was getting out cash to pay their share so I was going around counting all the money and I put my American Express through the machine to get the frequent flyer points (I got 7500 points for that one transaction) then just banked the money the next day - kinda felt strange driving home with 5k in my car, the restaurant gave me a shoebox and masking tape for the money!


User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:07 pm

LOL Pimping!
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

jlam572
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Hawaii

Postby jlam572 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Yes i do this all the time. Esp when i go out with a lot of friends and we rack up like a 600 dollar bill at the club. They give me cash, i put it on my amex, and make a deposit at the bank on the way home.
American Express Platinum
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Hawaiian Airlines BOH MC
USAA Amex
Capital One Visa Platinum
Citi Diamond Preferred MC

xdunlapx
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:37 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby xdunlapx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:59 am

I hope someday to be as enlightened as you guys about credit cards and points and cashback, etc. I'm 28 years old and just now trying to recover from poor credit decisions I made as a young adult. I didn't even know credit cards offered cash back until like a year ago! I just got my secured credit card in the mail today and noticed there were some perks to having a mastercard, the envelope included literature about extended warranties and car rentals, etc. When I had a Visa and Mastercard when I was 20 I don't recall those cards coming with perks like that. Is that a new thing that visa/MC are doing?

But I hope some day to have great credit and have a few cards with cash back or points or something. My ultimate goal is to have a credit limit of $5k or more on one card. :P I'm not sure if that'll ever happen, but I can dream, can't I? :)
Capital One Secured Mastercard (9/2012) $226 limit

Rory
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 pm
Location: MA

Postby Rory » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:32 pm

my friend is a promoter at a few night clubs in boston. I'll go out with him a few nights every so often to mingle with the local celebs and sports stars and we will always just blow through bottles and such. His parents literally bail him out of everything so we devised a strategy in which i pay the tab in full on my amex for the reward points and he then transfers his share of the amount to my bank account the next day. he is a AU on his dad's plat amex so he cant take advantage of the points he gets. It works for both of us and keeps his parents from finding out how much he spends on drinks and partying, whilst giving me one hell of a nice kick back ;)
Amex Zync - NPSL (Cleared up to 25k)
Amex BCE - 12000 limit
Amex BCP - 4200 limit
FIA Rewards Amex- 3500 limit
Chase Freedom - 2000 limit
Chase Slate - 2000 Limit
BoA Cash Rewards Privileges- 3000 limit
Barclaycard Rewards MC - 3000 limit
Discover IT- 3500 limit
Marriott PR- 5000 limit
21 years old with alot of life to spend ;)
Its not about the ending, its about the journey,
just as long as the ending is just as good :cool:

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Ummmmmm ok it's your call entirely BUT this is not something I would ever do. Granted he is your friend BUT that's it... a friend. I have seen where friendship turns and someone is left with a big @ss bill to pay and no way to claim it back.

Amex will obviously come after the cardholder.... something to think about next time.


Rory wrote:my friend is a promoter at a few night clubs in boston. I'll go out with him a few nights every so often to mingle with the local celebs and sports stars and we will always just blow through bottles and such. His parents literally bail him out of everything so we devised a strategy in which i pay the tab in full on my amex for the reward points and he then transfers his share of the amount to my bank account the next day. he is a AU on his dad's plat amex so he cant take advantage of the points he gets. It works for both of us and keeps his parents from finding out how much he spends on drinks and partying, whilst giving me one hell of a nice kick back ;)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

Rory
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 pm
Location: MA

Postby Rory » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:Ummmmmm ok it's your call entirely BUT this is not something I would ever do. Granted he is your friend BUT that's it... a friend. I have seen where friendship turns and someone is left with a big @ss bill to pay and no way to claim it back.

Amex will obviously come after the cardholder.... something to think about next time.


you're right and i guess there is substantial risk in doing it, but i have grown up with this kid, i know his deep dark secrets and i also am a very good friend of his family. Its a cluster fluck if he decided to screw me out. He is a total trust fund baby so I dont worry about him not having the funds.
Amex Zync - NPSL (Cleared up to 25k)

Amex BCE - 12000 limit

Amex BCP - 4200 limit

FIA Rewards Amex- 3500 limit

Chase Freedom - 2000 limit

Chase Slate - 2000 Limit

BoA Cash Rewards Privileges- 3000 limit

Barclaycard Rewards MC - 3000 limit

Discover IT- 3500 limit

Marriott PR- 5000 limit

21 years old with alot of life to spend ;)

Its not about the ending, its about the journey,

just as long as the ending is just as good :cool:

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Well you are alright then. You both seem pretty tight so the risk is less.

Rory wrote:you're right and i guess there is substantial risk in doing it, but i have grown up with this kid, i know his deep dark secrets and i also am a very good friend of his family. Its a cluster fluck if he decided to screw me out. He is a total trust fund baby so I dont worry about him not having the funds.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

Rory
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 pm
Location: MA

Postby Rory » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:21 am

yeah, FSTR8 you kinda got me wicked paranoid now LOL. You ever get burdened with the bill once your friends/relatives find out you got a centurion in your pocket?
Amex Zync - NPSL (Cleared up to 25k)

Amex BCE - 12000 limit

Amex BCP - 4200 limit

FIA Rewards Amex- 3500 limit

Chase Freedom - 2000 limit

Chase Slate - 2000 Limit

BoA Cash Rewards Privileges- 3000 limit

Barclaycard Rewards MC - 3000 limit

Discover IT- 3500 limit

Marriott PR- 5000 limit

21 years old with alot of life to spend ;)

Its not about the ending, its about the journey,

just as long as the ending is just as good :cool:

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:45 am

Yep, I speak from experience and thus want to part some to you. A got stiffed by a so called friend. Crime my friend is ALWAYS done due to opportunity. Give anyone a chance and they can (not all will or always) take advantage of you.

I was nicked when I had my Amex Plat. A hell of a lot smarter now LOL

I don't do advance purchases for anyone or lend a helping hand financially (i.e. cash loans) unless you are family. That's what banks and payday loan places are for.

Rory wrote:yeah, FSTR8 you kinda got me wicked paranoid now LOL. You ever get burdened with the bill once your friends/relatives find out you got a centurion in your pocket?
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests