Hobbies

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
28 posts
Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Hobbies

Postby Tubpbs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:01 pm

List some non credit related hobbies you have... For example, I have a large collection of one brand of knives.

I would imagine a lot of the people on here, or at least segments of people on here, have very similar tendencies. I have always collected things. I've always behaved that way and I always go back to it with certain things, not all things. Usually one, max of two, things at a time.

In many ways the credit related activity I have gotten more and more into over the last year and a half or so takes the place of a collection. The accounts, the credit limits, the physical cards and the state of my credit itself all add up to this "collection" if you will. There are several reasons beyond filling my tendency to collect that I enjoy maximizing my credit and maximizing improvements to my credit.

Anyway, what are some of your hobbies? Or, maybe for some of you, what do you collect?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It


kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Hobbies

Postby kdm31091 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:29 pm

It sounds stupid but im a coffee fanatic and collect coffee mugs. I have two display cases filled and some rods with hooks in my den. Seasonal, from places I go, etc. I've tried to slow down a tad with it just out of sheer space considerations, but I love it.

As far as collecting CCs, that phase has kind of come and gone for me. I applied for a lot of things in 2014 and some I didnt keep. With my spend, theres just only so many cards I can justify, and the AAOA damage isnt really feasible at my age (24). People get away with it because of backdated old Amex cards etc but for me, I just cant justify it. Not to mention that there really havent been any groundbreaking cash back cards this year. Even Barclays new card is just another 1.5 percent back card. Nothing too special, though a few have apped for it for their own niche reasons.

Anyway, back to non credit lol

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Hobbies

Postby Tubpbs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:03 pm

kdm31091 wrote:It sounds stupid but im a coffee fanatic and collect coffee mugs. I have two display cases filled and some rods with hooks in my den. Seasonal, from places I go, etc. I've tried to slow down a tad with it just out of sheer space considerations, but I love it.

As far as collecting CCs, that phase has kind of come and gone for me. I applied for a lot of things in 2014 and some I didnt keep. With my spend, theres just only so many cards I can justify, and the AAOA damage isnt really feasible at my age (24). People get away with it because of backdated old Amex cards etc but for me, I just cant justify it. Not to mention that there really havent been any groundbreaking cash back cards this year. Even Barclays new card is just another 1.5 percent back card. Nothing too special, though a few have apped for it for their own niche reasons.

Anyway, back to non credit lol


How often do you buy a new mug?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Hobbies

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:44 pm

I collect (or used to, I haven't added anything for a few years but haven't sold much, either) US and ancient coins. Other than that, I try to avoid clutter.

I love opera and classical music in general, although I don't go very often, since decent seats are expensive.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Hobbies

Postby kdm31091 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:It sounds stupid but im a coffee fanatic and collect coffee mugs. I have two display cases filled and some rods with hooks in my den. Seasonal, from places I go, etc. I've tried to slow down a tad with it just out of sheer space considerations, but I love it.

As far as collecting CCs, that phase has kind of come and gone for me. I applied for a lot of things in 2014 and some I didnt keep. With my spend, theres just only so many cards I can justify, and the AAOA damage isnt really feasible at my age (24). People get away with it because of backdated old Amex cards etc but for me, I just cant justify it. Not to mention that there really havent been any groundbreaking cash back cards this year. Even Barclays new card is just another 1.5 percent back card. Nothing too special, though a few have apped for it for their own niche reasons.

Anyway, back to non credit lol


How often do you buy a new mug?


Whenever I see one that catches my eye...lol. But I've really slowed down. No more than a couple a month. I already have a LOT of Christmas ones, so this time of year, I really am not trying to buy any.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Hobbies

Postby Tubpbs » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:36 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I collect (or used to, I haven't added anything for a few years but haven't sold much, either) US and ancient coins. Other than that, I try to avoid clutter.

I love opera and classical music in general, although I don't go very often, since decent seats are expensive.


I also used to collect coins and currency. Not particularly actively because I was younger and had great limitations, but old coins and old currency has always intrigued me and still does.

I like old US currency. What ancient coins do you have? That sounds awesome...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Hobbies

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I collect (or used to, I haven't added anything for a few years but haven't sold much, either) US and ancient coins. Other than that, I try to avoid clutter.

I love opera and classical music in general, although I don't go very often, since decent seats are expensive.


I also used to collect coins and currency. Not particularly actively because I was younger and had great limitations, but old coins and old currency has always intrigued me and still does.

I like old US currency. What ancient coins do you have? That sounds awesome...

Oh, just a few Roman Empire bronze pieces, nothing exotic. Mostly I collected US coins.

As far as ancient coins, I just accumulated a few pieces at shows over the years for trivial prices as historical oddities.

I don't have the experience to really tell someone how to build a decent ancient collection (one worth $5,000 instead of probably $50 for mine), but I can say that ancient coins seem a lot less liquid than US ones. I was able to go to a show, find competitively-priced US coin bargains, and resell some of them online for a decent profit (it helped that silver prices were rising, too).

I would buy ancient coins with the attitude that you're not going to get the money back.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

ingramjuan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:32 pm
Location: EARTH

Re: Hobbies

Postby ingramjuan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:12 pm

Tubpbs wrote:what are some of your hobbies? Or, maybe for some of you, what do you collect?



Dress Socks & Ties for me
CARDS:
Capital One Platinum (2001) |Capital One QuickSilver World (2002) | Amex Gold Delta (2013) | Best Buy Visa (2013) |Discover It (2015) | Amex Platinum (2015)

Gardening Since: June, 2015

Next Cards:
Personal: Chase Freedom Unlimited
Business: Amex Plum
Store Card: Lowes

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Hobbies

Postby Vattené » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

I collect shot glasses. I like to get one whenever I go to a city for the first time.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Hobbies

Postby Nixon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:37 pm

I collect guns, holding an FF License makes this a little easier at the same time it makes it harder. I don't keep any safe queens though. They all get a box or two through them every couple of months.
Image



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests