Done with myfico, apparently!

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
466 posts
jfriend33
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby jfriend33 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:52 am

I just dont see why people arent entitled to their opinions. We dont have to take arguments to such extremes and play battleship. I really miss kdms and a few others input at myfico. I despise seeing non stop extreme behavior.

And I have to admit....I mean yeah, my credit score has improved dramatically because of it....but Cheese And Rice, I have 25 inquiries and two wallets full of freaking credit cards. That is WAY too many, was kinda stupid on my part to continue as I did. SHIP SUNK! Should just have something like 1 amex credit card, 86 the charge card since their credit card has that built in anyway, 1 discover, 1 WMC, and 1 VS, burn the rest....BUT then I wouldnt have so many bonuses.

As far as some of the younger members there, I think that it is amazing. I think I am a little jealous because if I was their age and that zealous, would I be a millionaire, no, but I would have even higher scores and better credit file. I don't think any of Monos cards are bunk/bogus. He has the income, is/was AU on some good cards...and basically distilled every great piece of info on myfico into a select few cards, approved for them at great limits. Its not completely out of the ordinary to get such high limits either, especially at an institution that has checking/savings....

Please dont forget about us KDM, hopefully you will come back one day! :-)


kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby kdm31091 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 am

jfriend33 wrote:I just dont see why people arent entitled to their opinions. We dont have to take arguments to such extremes and play battleship. I really miss kdms and a few others input at myfico. I despise seeing non stop extreme behavior.

And I have to admit....I mean yeah, my credit score has improved dramatically because of it....but Cheese And Rice, I have 25 inquiries and two wallets full of freaking credit cards. That is WAY too many, was kinda stupid on my part to continue as I did. SHIP SUNK! Should just have something like 1 amex credit card, 86 the charge card since their credit card has that built in anyway, 1 discover, 1 WMC, and 1 VS, burn the rest....BUT then I wouldnt have so many bonuses.

As far as some of the younger members there, I think that it is amazing. I think I am a little jealous because if I was their age and that zealous, would I be a millionaire, no, but I would have even higher scores and better credit file. I don't think any of Monos cards are bunk/bogus. He has the income, is/was AU on some good cards...and basically distilled every great piece of info on myfico into a select few cards, approved for them at great limits. Its not completely out of the ordinary to get such high limits either, especially at an institution that has checking/savings....

Please dont forget about us KDM, hopefully you will come back one day! :-)


I may browse and make occasional posts (well, when I can, next month), but I don't think I'm really welcome around there as a regular because of the way they operate. It is what it is. I doubt I'll disappear completely, more out of habit than anything else lol, but I won't be as active as I used to be.

I just take every approval story on there with a grain of salt. Whether they are true or not at the end of the day doesn't really matter, but it could give newbies the wrong impression (18 year olds browsing thinking they will get 16k AARP cards with no trouble - very unlikely). Just keep in mind it's the Internet and people can say whatever they want. Doesn't make it true. I have no doubt some of them exaggerate to fit in with the crowd. If it makes them happy so be it. Just don't put too much stock in it or give them too much credit for things that may not be true. :)

I think when many people first join myfico and/or discover a bunch of new cards, there's a honeymoon period. We apply for a bunch of cards for 3% on this, 3% on that, etc and before you know it you have a dozen or two dozen cards. In most spend situations, it's simply not going to get you any kind of meaningful rewards, and each and every account is on your report for ten years even if it's closed after a short period. It pays to be cautious and limit opening accounts to accounts that you really want long term. That's what I'm doing in 2016 and thereafter. I am not going to chase an extra 1% on something anymore. I will open an account if it has a huge benefit, but since I prefer cash back, that's unlikely. There's only so much cash back banks can give out, and I think 2% on everything is the most we will see. Of course, that's just my opinion and there are plenty who disagree with it.

Remember, your point goes both ways: why CAN'T we all just have our opinions? I agree that perhaps it's silly for me to get into some of the arguments I did on there in the past, but on MF, it's frowned upon to have a dissenting voice. Anyone who disagrees with the mainstream on there is not really welcome.
Last edited by kdm31091 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby Nixon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 am

Tell that to the mod squad. Why are opinions differing from "Yes, app now!" Squashed?

When an overzealous mod oversteps or overreacts why does your opinion get you banned? I love how Gdale hides behind the TOS. Seems like he's forgotten what it's like to be "Just a member"
Image

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby Vermonster » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:09 am

jfriend33 wrote:I just dont see why people arent entitled to their opinions. We dont have to take arguments to such extremes and play battleship. I really miss kdms and a few others input at myfico. I despise seeing non stop extreme behavior.


That is why we are all here, and not there. WE can get along with differing opinions here. WE can't do that over there without being told we are breaking guidelines. It is not a welcome place for people that think differently, and certainly not a place that values honesty.

jfriend33 wrote:like 1 amex credit card, 86 the charge card since their credit card has that built in anyway, 1 discover, 1 WMC, and 1 VS, burn the rest....BUT then I wouldnt have so many bonuses.


This is pretty much the MF mindset in a single statement. So focused on the card, and not the value it offers. Why have one WMC and one VS? Neither offer anything that can't be found elsewhere. You severely limit your options, and the true value of a card when you focus so much on the payment network.



We think a bit differently here, and that doesn't seem to translate well to MF.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

silver6054
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: boston

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby silver6054 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:34 am

Vermonster wrote:

We think a bit differently here, and that doesn't seem to translate well to MF.


Let me start by agreeing a lot wrong with myfico, especially moderation (although using multiple IDs helps at least a bit). But judging from user names, there is a quite a large of overlap, and a number of the threads in the main section actually look pretty similar to many in myfico. So, I don't know that there is a "we" that really thinks a bit differently.

And to rant again: from the outside this particular thread reminds me of when someone has been dumped by a SO. I'm so totally over him/her, he/she has lots of faults and I'm so glad it's over. But did you see what he/she did just now. And now. It's so uninteresting that I am not watching much.
The word pathetic might come to mind to those less kind.

And I don't buy the train wreck analogy. Many of the faults are constantly recurring, so there is little new happening to engage interest. But carry on being glad that you don't have to play in that horrible place anymore.

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby yfan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:23 pm

silver6054 wrote:
Vermonster wrote:

We think a bit differently here, and that doesn't seem to translate well to MF.


Let me start by agreeing a lot wrong with myfico, especially moderation (although using multiple IDs helps at least a bit). But judging from user names, there is a quite a large of overlap, and a number of the threads in the main section actually look pretty similar to many in myfico. So, I don't know that there is a "we" that really thinks a bit differently.

But you are yourself posing a logical fallacy, no? Just because there is a "large overlap" between the posters doesn't make the environment the same. Second, the overlap comes in the form of having a good portion of CCF members also being on MF, but NOT the other way around. I very seriously doubt that an equal share of MF members are on CCF as CCF members on MF. In other words, the overlap for the most part does not include the most loud "ZOMG metal card" dingers.

And I don't buy the train wreck analogy. Many of the faults are constantly recurring, so there is little new happening to engage interest.

But that is exactly what a car/train wreck is. Most car wrecks come with similar characteristics - vehicles collide, there are dents and smashes, glass on the road, sometimes an ambulance - not a whole lot new to see in each individual wreck. Yet every dang wreck slows down traffic not because of blocked streets but because people gotta look. The repetitive nature of the faults is also itself a matter than can "engage interest."

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby kdm31091 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:51 pm

@silver: you are right in that many of the topics here are similar to MF, because at the end of the day we are discussing the same matters: credit cards, APRs, rewards, etc.

However the difference is how things are handled here. You are free to give honest advice without being told you are being "non FSR". We tend to give people more realistic answers on here vs the MF crowd where things are often spun far too optimistically, leading people think they will get approved for anything they want (and that they should always apply no matter what).

You're right in that MF is very repetitive, which is why I noted my browsing of it has slowed down considerably. I find myself here and even on the CC reddit because it is also willing to accept honest opinions. Even having multiple usernames on MF to get around the mods isn't really a solution, as the ban is pretty thorough. Unlike some sites, you can't just make a new account. You have to use a new IP or a proxy. I'm not going through all that to make a new account. I browse it, but I wouldn't attempt to post until my actual ban is lifted.

This community is more valuable to people seeking advice IMO because it's given without sugarcoating (although no one here is rude). If you want to be told to app your brains out, then MF offers great advice on that :rolleyes: There is a reason that it seems most of the quality posters on MF do not stick around very long/do not post very often.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby Nixon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:05 pm

With the exception of Kenny, The whole moderation team on that site needs to be replaced.

Start with that.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Nixon wrote:pizza1 ("I make payments from my iPhone in-store")
Swampy99 (WHY YOU NO GIVE ME CREDIT?!)
CAPTOOL (Did you app yet?)
Creditaddict (WHY YOU NO GIVE MY HUBBY CREDIT?!)
Joeyzoom416 (WhineWhineWhineWhine SpendingProblem.)
ddemari (Can't Garden, Clown will eat me!)
Monoglot (Credit Prodigy, Finstar's love child?)

CarefulBuilder14 (Hmm...still can't decide if I should I keep EDP...and I can use IHG's free night anywhere!)

:ppp
Very useful: SchwabPlat, CSP, IHG, Costco (was AA Plat), Freedom, SPG, Prestige (retention)
Somewhat useful: Discover, ED (was EDP), BCE, Hyatt
SD with activity alerts, might close: Arrival

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech, BofA Travel PH, Aviator Red

silver6054
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: boston

Re: Done with myfico, apparently!

Postby silver6054 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:35 pm

But you are yourself posing a logical fallacy, no? Just because there is a "large overlap" between the posters doesn't make the environment the same. Second, the overlap comes in the form of having a good portion of CCF members also being on MF, but NOT the other way around. I very seriously doubt that an equal share of MF members are on CCF as CCF members on MF. In other words, the overlap for the most part does not include the most loud "ZOMG metal card" dingers.[/quote]

Not really a logical fallacy as I wasn't attempting to pose a formal argument, more part of the Anti-Smugness Crusade (TM) reacting to "we are special" type comments. And yes, some of the more trivial posters may not be here. But left as an exercise to the reader, is "OMG it's metal!!!" worse in content/spirit than many pages of "Doesn't MyFico suck?"

yfan wrote:But that is exactly what a car/train wreck is. Most car wrecks come with similar characteristics - vehicles collide, there are dents and smashes, glass on the road, sometimes an ambulance - not a whole lot new to see in each individual wreck. Yet every dang wreck slows down traffic not because of blocked streets but because people gotta look. The repetitive nature of the faults is also itself a matter than can "engage interest."


OK, but in my personal opinion, a good car/train wreck is MUCH more interesting than pizza1 applying for the 10th card that week.



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests