Relocating, Need a new bank account

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
17 posts
credithype
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:41 am

Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby credithype » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:03 am

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a long term lurker (about 3 years) on the creditcardforum.com. I need some advice on where to park some of my cash. This fall I will be returning to graduate school full time. I am currently living in Hawaii but will be relocating to the midwest. Since I bank with a local bank in Hawaii, I am looking to find a bank that will fit my needs. I will be living in the midwest for about two years and will probably move again for a PHD elsewhere and may not be the midwest again.

Since I know I won't be stable for the next several years, any recommendations on a new bank that I can easily access in person but for the most part will be online.

Thanks for the anticipated help! FInally had a good reason to create an account.


Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby Nixon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 am

credithype wrote:Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a long term lurker (about 3 years) on the creditcardforum.com. I need some advice on where to park some of my cash. This fall I will be returning to graduate school full time. I am currently living in Hawaii but will be relocating to the midwest. Since I bank with a local bank in Hawaii, I am looking to find a bank that will fit my needs. I will be living in the midwest for about two years and will probably move again for a PHD elsewhere and may not be the midwest again.

Since I know I won't be stable for the next several years, any recommendations on a new bank that I can easily access in person but for the most part will be online.

Thanks for the anticipated help! FInally had a good reason to create an account.


Military?
Image

oldsoldier
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm
Location: TN

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby oldsoldier » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:09 pm

There are several routes you can go, if you are planning on staying on the mainland my sugestion would be to go with BOA. You can bank online with them and there is a branch/ATM almost on every corner.
BoA Cash Rewards $13,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $14,000
BoA Better Balance $12,000
Amex Every Day $24,000
Discover It $19,000
NFCU Cash Rewards $25,200
Barclay Arrival WMC $10,000
Cap One QuickSilver WMC $7,200
WF Cash back Visa Sig $11,000
Citi Thank You Premier $11,600

whit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: ca

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby whit » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:38 pm

You mentioned needing a bank that would fit your needs. What banking needs do you have, how does your current local branch in Hawaii service you--what do you like about that bank and what would you like to see implemented.

Understand that banks in the U.S. is going through some changes gradually but overall it will be a pretty big impact.

I myself, have no need for going into the bank and almost never take any cash out of atms so technically my non-brick and mortar bank would do the trick.

However, even though it's FDIC insured I do not want to suddenly find it brought out by another big bank and so I have a few accounts, in the cloud and on the sidewalk.

You have to let us know what are the deal breakers for you and it may be easier to break down because to be honest, even if you move around a lot; depending on how you use your accounts you can always go small and local or in the cloud or one of the big fours.

User avatar
obxfisherman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:32 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby obxfisherman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:43 pm

As others have stated more details would be beneficial. Without knowing anything a semi popular online bank for non military, is Ally Bank. Assuming you don't deposit cash. For Military my personal vote is Navy Federal Credit Union. They are wonderful. Not necessarily present in the Midwest, since they are near military bases generally, so it would be treated again like an online bank, but only if you are military.

For a non online bank with plenty of branches I would recommend Wells Fargo. Why Wells Fargo? Because you say you are going to live in the midwest, with no specific location noted, and Wells Fargo does a good job at covering the midwest. Generally speaking no matter where you move to in the United States a Wells Fargo will be there, although as others have stated banks are going through a transitional faze now that will take some time. I would have recommend BoA but their foot print isn't that good in the Midwest. If they happen to be where you're going to be staying then i'd choose them, just because I like their interface, having all accounts (checking, savings, and investment) accounts all in one..lots of people dislike BoA however.

Again more info would be helpful but that is my opinion based on personal opinion.
Cards Currently In My Wallet(See Avatar)
Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (Daily Purchase): 13.4K
NFCU Visa SignatureCash Rewards: 5K
Sheetz Discount Card 3c Off PerGallon Of Gas Everyday

Total Credit Card Limits Roughly: 61.5K

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby Nixon » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:57 pm

obxfisherman wrote:As others have stated more details would be beneficial. Without knowing anything a semi popular online bank for non military, is Ally Bank. Assuming you don't deposit cash. For Military my personal vote is Navy Federal Credit Union. They are wonderful. Not necessarily present in the Midwest, since they are near military bases generally, so it would be treated again like an online bank, but only if you are military.

For a non online bank with plenty of branches I would recommend Wells Fargo. Why Wells Fargo? Because you say you are going to live in the midwest, with no specific location noted, and Wells Fargo does a good job at covering the midwest. Generally speaking no matter where you move to in the United States a Wells Fargo will be there, although as others have stated banks are going through a transitional faze now that will take some time. I would have recommend BoA but their foot print isn't that good in the Midwest. If they happen to be where you're going to be staying then i'd choose them, just because I like their interface, having all accounts (checking, savings, and investment) accounts all in one..lots of people dislike BoA however.

Again more info would be helpful but that is my opinion based on personal opinion.


Wells Fargo just plain sucks.

Midwest....I'd go with US Bank...
Image

User avatar
obxfisherman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:32 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby obxfisherman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Nixon wrote: Wells Fargo just plain sucks. Midwest....I'd go with US Bank...


US Bank does look decent in terms of locations. Problem is if OP moves to East Coast, there aren't any branches there. Based on the post though that is 2+ years out so it may not matter. Online bank would be ideal lol. Why don't you like Wells? I don't use them, i'm NFCU/BBT guy so not familiar with them. I assume they are just like the other big banks, with bogus fees, sort of ridiculous minimums, crappy interest etc.
Cards Currently In My Wallet(See Avatar)
Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (Daily Purchase): 13.4K
NFCU Visa SignatureCash Rewards: 5K
Sheetz Discount Card 3c Off PerGallon Of Gas Everyday

Total Credit Card Limits Roughly: 61.5K

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby Nixon » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Sneaky with fees. Basic big bank behaviour.

US Bank seems more trustworthy. I love dealing with NFCU. :)
Image

travisrauh
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:01 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby travisrauh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:59 pm

Though they don't have any actual physical branches, I'd still strongly suggest Charles Schwab if you're comfortable with the thought of online/mobile banking. They're available 24/7 with superb 100% US customer service, refund all ATM fees globally, no foreign transaction fees on international debit card purchases (now with C&S), etc. I've been blown away with every customer service interaction I've had with them and I'm usually not very easily impressed. There are only two downsides I can think of - one of which is the only thing I can think of that might possibly turn you off. 1.) You do need to open a brokerage account with them (you can request a checking account at the same time during application) - though you don't need to use it and you don't need to keep any funds in that account. 2.) Since there are no physical branches outside of Nevada, you cannot easily make cash deposits (you would need to mail that). Check deposits are easy and pretty quick (funds usually available within 30 minutes in my experience) when done via the mobile check deposit on their mobile app.
I am an employee of American Express. All posts are those of my own and do not reflect the actions or opinions of AXP. While all efforts are made to ensure accuracy in my posts, for official statements or responses, please consult with @AskAmex on Twitter or dial the number on the back of your card.

credithype
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:41 am

Re: Relocating, Need a new bank account

Postby credithype » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:16 pm

Nixon wrote:
credithype wrote:Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a long term lurker (about 3 years) on the creditcardforum.com. I need some advice on where to park some of my cash. This fall I will be returning to graduate school full time. I am currently living in Hawaii but will be relocating to the midwest. Since I bank with a local bank in Hawaii, I am looking to find a bank that will fit my needs. I will be living in the midwest for about two years and will probably move again for a PHD elsewhere and may not be the midwest again.

Since I know I won't be stable for the next several years, any recommendations on a new bank that I can easily access in person but for the most part will be online.

Thanks for the anticipated help! FInally had a good reason to create an account.


Military?


Not Military.



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests