What stores/restaurants do you refuse to shop/eat at and why?

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
107 posts
yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:56 pm

jeffysdad01 wrote:I specifically chose the example of the dog to avoid any extraneous discussion about whether any of the dead black men/youth actually were a threat to the police. The dog clearly was not.

How do you figure? Because dogs couldn't possibly pose a threat to a human? Wait, that's not it. According to the IAB report quoted in your link at least, the dog charged at the officer. Whatever the truthfulness of it, "the dog clearly was not" a threat to the cop is not proven fact here.


jeffysdad01
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Texas

Postby jeffysdad01 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:06 pm

yfan wrote:How do you figure? Because dogs couldn't possibly pose a threat to a human? Wait, that's not it. According to the IAB report quoted in your link at least, the dog charged at the officer. Whatever the truthfulness of it, "the dog clearly was not" a threat to the cop is not proven fact here.


Read some of the other coverage online if you're interested. The cop was in the dog's yard (unnecessarily, in my opinion). The internal affairs information from the cops is not credible.

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:38 pm

jeffysdad01 wrote:Read some of the other coverage online if you're interested. The cop was in the dog's yard (unnecessarily, in my opinion). The internal affairs information from the cops is not credible.

Oh I see. So now we have gone from "clearly not a threat" to "in your opinion." Well, at least that's progress. So we can declare that the dog was not a threat based on "other coverage" but God forbid we make that case for actual humans.

jeffysdad01
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Texas

Postby jeffysdad01 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:57 pm

The officer was needlessly trespassing and shot a dog in its own yard that was barking at him. That is wrong. It is just one more example of how the cops in this country are out of control. They also injure and shoot innocent humans, brown ones, white ones, etc. You are trying to imply that my comments place the value of a dog's life above a human's. That's clearly not the case.

Perhaps you don't agree with me that the cops are out of control. That's fine. There are many who don't; however, their number will decline every time there's another Michael Brown, illegal chokehold death, etc.

Moving on, the main problem I see with the cops is that there is not effective oversight, accountability or transparency. When someone is killed or maimed by a cop, how often is a grand jury empaneled; how long does that take if it does happen; how much evidence gets "lost," tampered with, suppressed along the way? What does a grand jury actually get to hear/see? The wheels of justice turn in a machine that is by its nature friendly to the police.

Cops do what they do because they know they will almost certainly get away with it. And recent history supports that belief.


yfan wrote:Oh I see. So now we have gone from "clearly not a threat" to "in your opinion." Well, at least that's progress. So we can declare that the dog was not a threat based on "other coverage" but God forbid we make that case for actual humans.

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:07 pm

jeffysdad01 wrote:You are trying to imply that my comments place the value of a dog's life above a human's.

Actually I am implying that. At least certain humans.

jeffysdad01 wrote:Perhaps you don't agree with me that the cops are out of control.

No, it's precisely because I agree that cops in many instances are out of control that I take offense at picking an example where a dog was shot whereas human examples abound. I think THAT cheapens and trivializes police brutality. I also think painting with a broad brush (blanket statements like "Cops are out of control" are like saying "white people are racist") is harmful to addressing the problem.

jeffysdad01 wrote:Moving on, the main problem I see with the cops is that there is not effective oversight, accountability or transparency.

Great, start a thread on police abuse of power. Let this one return to about businesses people don't patronize.

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:22 pm

I apologize for derailing this thread.

To bring things back I don't really have any specific businesses I boycot. There were about three years where I seriously boycotted America Airlines due to a baggage issue where they permanently lost my bag and refused to reimburse me for it. Due to my position, and my desire that other Soldiers not suffer the same injustice as myself, I was able to influence travel for several others as well and AA probably lost out on over $100k in business because of it.

However, I eventually ended up going back to AA due to reasons I won't go into here and they've treated me exceptionally well since. Not sure what my point is, but just trying to do my part to bring this thread back on track.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

jeffysdad01
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Texas

Postby jeffysdad01 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:44 pm

You're wrong on all counts. I won't see whatever you reply since you're now on my "ignore" list. Bye.

yfan wrote:Actually I am implying that. At least certain humans.


No, it's precisely because I agree that cops in many instances are out of control that I take offense at picking an example where a dog was shot whereas human examples abound. I think THAT cheapens and trivializes police brutality. I also think painting with a broad brush (blanket statements like "Cops are out of control" are like saying "white people are racist") is harmful to addressing the problem.


Great, start a thread on police abuse of power. Let this one return to about businesses people don't patronize.

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:11 pm

jeffysdad01 wrote:You're wrong on all counts. I won't see whatever you reply since you're now on my "ignore" list. Bye.

Aww that hurts my feelings.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3754
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:11 pm

There's a small café I occasionally get dragged into with extended family. Somehow they always get my order wrong, and the food they serve is so old, it's a wonder that the public health department hasn't shut them down. BLTs with mold on both the bread and tomatoes.

No one else there seems to mind, though.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
Snowman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm
Location: North Los Angeles County

Postby Snowman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Hmm,

I out right refuse to shop at walmart unless they have something I'm looking for that I can't find anywhere that is cheaper. I also dislike Domino's Pizza, so that's another. Other then that it just depends.
Bank Of America: BankAmeriCard Cash Rewards-4.2k
Citi: Forward-4.5k American Airlines Advantage Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard 9/6/15-4K
Discover: More-7k
Amex BCE.2k- Amex SPG-5k
Chase: Freedom-5kSouthwest Rapid Rewards Plus- 3.6k
Capital one: Venture one-10,000, Visa Signature.



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests