What stores/restaurants do you refuse to shop/eat at and why?

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
107 posts
yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:11 pm

jeffysdad01 wrote:Chick Fil A, right-wingers

Ditto on that one, plus I prefer KFC anyway. Here's the rest of my list:

- Wal Mart, because of the way they treat their employees. There is no reason why the world's most profitable and largest retailer should need to teach their employees how to apply for public benefits.

- Any establishment that allows patrons (except police) to carry firearms inside it.

On the other side of it, Costco and Starbucks are two of my favorite places to be.


Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:58 pm

yfan wrote:Ditto on that one, plus I prefer KFC anyway. Here's the rest of my list:

- Wal Mart, because of the way they treat their employees. There is no reason why the world's most profitable and largest retailer should need to teach their employees how to apply for public benefits.

- Any establishment that allows patrons (except police) to carry firearms inside it.

On the other side of it, Costco and Starbucks are two of my favorite places to be.


You prefer establishments that only allow criminals to carry firearms inside? Because by definition an establishment that has a no firearms policy will only allow those wishing to violate the law to carry, since they aren't going to abide by a sign that says no firearms.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:08 pm

otter wrote:Boycotts, especially political ones, just don't work. The last time there was a mass boycott of CFA... their restaurants across the country had record breaking sales days. My politics are probably different than most of you, but I typically don't buy products based on a company's political beliefs. I buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream because it's delicious even though I think Ben and Jerry are a couple of smug New England socialists.

I do see the irony of progressives supporting boycotts when they've spent most of the past 30 years crying "censorship" whenever conservatives boycotted companies with obvious left-wing bias.


Well, what can I tell ya, Ben and Jerry ARE a couple of New England socialists (in the European sense of the word though, not the Russian sense), and their Americone Dream melts in my mouth.

I really don't know of when liberals accused conservatives of censorship because of a boycott, but as a liberal, my response to conservatives wanting to boycott companies with liberal values has always been: be my guest. I couldn't imagine anything better than conservatives en masse boycotting Google, Facebook, and other Silicon Valley tech firms with super liberal social values as well as any medication if the pharmaceutical company making it also happens to make birth control pills.

On the other hand, I do understand your point that boycotts usually don't work. Despite being an environmentalist, I still need to buy gas and home heating oil. When I "boycott" a place, it's more a personal statement than a futile attempt to put a business out of business.

What I call buycotts, on the other hand, work. I tend to pick places I like to do business with based on my values. Hence Costco and Starbucks.

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Battery111 wrote:You prefer establishments that only allow criminals to carry firearms inside?

Well, assuming you understand the difference between allowing something and criminal behavior - which by definition is NOT allowed - the basic answer to your poorly made point is that yup, because if they're criminals, I can call the cops on them and send them to jail.

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:27 pm

yfan wrote:Well, assuming you understand the difference between allowing something and criminal behavior - which by definition is NOT allowed - the basic answer to your poorly made point is that yup, because if they're criminals, I can call the cops on them and send them to jail.


So why are you ok with police officers carrying but not average citizens? Because they're trusted? I'm a bomb technician in the military. Due to the nature of my job I can promise you I have been much more thoroughly vetted than the vast majority of police officers due to my requirement to work with nuclear weapons and around the president. But I don't meet the definition of law enforcement. So my question would be why do you trust an average cop with a run of the mill background check over me, with my extensive investigation?
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Battery111 wrote:So why are you ok with police officers carrying but not average citizens? Because they're trusted? I'm a bomb technician in the military. Due to the nature of my job I can promise you I have been much more thoroughly vetted than the vast majority of police officers due to my requirement to work with nuclear weapons and around the president. But I don't meet the definition of law enforcement. So my question would be why do you trust an average cop with a run of the mill background check over me, with my extensive investigation?

Oh that's simple. Because (a) a police officer on duty is required to carry their weapon, and (b) the military has no jurisdiction over civilian establishments unless and until mobilized in a state of emergency by the commander in chief (or, in case of the Guard, potentially by the governor). Put another way, as a member of the military, you have no duty to respond to a threat on an establishment, whereas domestic law enforcement does. The weapons I'm talking about allowing police officers to carry are not for their protection but the protection of others, to which they are duty bound.

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:47 pm

yfan wrote:Oh that's simple. Because (a) a police officer on duty is required to carry their weapon, and (b) the military has no jurisdiction over civilian establishments unless and until mobilized in a state of emergency by the commander in chief (or, in case of the Guard, potentially by the governor). Put another way, as a member of the military, you have no duty to respond to a threat on an establishment, whereas domestic law enforcement does. The weapons I'm talking about allowing police officers to carry are not for their protection but the protection of others, to which they are duty bound.


Well you may want to review the law. Unfortunately for your argument an officer's weapon is in fact considered to be for their own protection in the performance of their duties.

Either way, I apologize. The truth is this is not the forum (no pun intended) to debate political matters. I simply find the logic somewhat baffling at times, as I'm sure you do for opposite reasons. I didn't intend to hijack this thread and will retreat to my corner to allow this thread to continue on its regularly scheduled course.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Battery111 wrote:Well you may want to review the law. Unfortunately for your argument an officer's weapon is in fact considered to be for their own protection in the performance of their duties.

Then perhaps you can point me to the law that says that a police officer's weapon is only for their own protection. Because someone with 30 years of law enforcement experience says different:
We carry and train with firearms because police officers have a sworn obligation to save lives and sometimes deadly force is the only way to stop a terrible person from committing a terrible act. Our goal is to stop, and we would like to be able to stop them without the possibility of killing them, but we don’t have a Star Trek “phaser” to set on stun. Yeah, I know, we have an array of less lethal options for those cases where they are a viable alternative, but gunpowder and lead is the only certain way we have to stop the bad guys, for now.

He doesn't say only the lives of themselves or fellow officers.

User avatar
otter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

Postby otter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:58 pm

Battery111 wrote:You prefer establishments that only allow criminals to carry firearms inside? Because by definition an establishment that has a no firearms policy will only allow those wishing to violate the law to carry, since they aren't going to abide by a sign that says no firearms.


Sorry... I'm as pro-Second Amendment as they come, but I don't allow people (other than LEO's and the people who pick up our bank deposit) to come into my establishment with weapons.
In my Wallet:
  • Amex PRG NPSL[3-14, bd 91]
  • Sallie Mae MC $8000[1-14]
  • Chase Freedom $4700[1-14]
  • Discover It $2750[8-13]
  • BoA UCF Alumni Cash Rewards $5000 [3-15]
Sometimes in my Wallet:
  • GM BuyPower WEMC $5000[9-14]
  • Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex $7000[4-14]
  • Barclaycard Arrival WEMC $7000[3-14]
  • BoA Better Balance $3000[2-15]
In my sockdrawer: Amex BCE $1000[10-13, bd 91], OCCU Duck $10000 [11-13], The Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000[8-14], Chase Slate $4000 [9-14]Delta Gold Amex $2000 [2-15 bd 91], Diners Club MC $20000 [10-14] Commerce Bank Visa $2000 [3-15] Citi Double Cash $1000 [3-15]
Total CL: $90450

MB131174
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: PA

Postby MB131174 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:00 pm

I have a conceal carry permit from my state. One time I was heading to the bank to make a cash deposit of almost $5,000. You better believe I had my 9mm on me that day. I was in several stores that day, plus the bank, with my gun securely holstered on my belt under my hoodie. No one knew. No one had to know. Funny though, I had zero urge to shoot up the places I was at. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some popcorn, sit back and watch the sh-t storm fly.
stalk me
KIK: WMB1974



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests