looking for a good cell service

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
55 posts
darkguy2
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am
Location: United States

Postby darkguy2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:48 am

Member you have several logical fallacies to your argument. Among them are: false dilemma and ad hominem.

False Dilemma:

If you wanna believe they are all saints and looking out for you

You seem to think that when I said that all companies are not evil all the time that that meant that I said that all companies are good. This is a fallacy. I did not say that all companies are good. There is not only two option here, good or bad. There is a very large grey area that all companies lie in. I do not inherently believe that all companies are looking out for me and will do no bad.

Ad Hominem:

You have to sign the contract and allow it, so if you do then you deserve that porking and trust me they will pork the living hell out of you if you let them.

all I can say is best of luck to you and you have a HUGE learning curve ahead of you, and don't be surprised if they pick your wallet clean.

But I'll leave you to your delusions to learn that life's lesson the hard way. It's easy to be naïve when you're in school and have no experience in the real world where they kick you in the balls just because they enjoy that sort of thing.


This seems to be the biggest fallacy that you like to use. You repeatedly attack my character and experience. Calling me delusional and inexperienced. The thing is that I have had plenty of experiences with companies in my lifetime. Between working full or part time at companies or just buying products or services from them I have to interact with many of them on a regular basis. And shocker not all of them have been bad. Some of the worst rated companies that people talk about I have had no problems with when interacting with them.
Discover IT - $5,700
Chase Freedom - $5,700
Costco Citi - $13,000
Sallie Mae - $4,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,000
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $19,500
Citi Double Cash - $6,500
Amex BCE - $13,000

FICOs: Discover (777), SallieMae (764), Amex (767), Citi (772)
FAKOs: CK- TU (760), EQ (760)


takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Postby takeshi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:02 am

MemberSince99 wrote:Do you really want to be raped like that?

As with any decision one has to determine where one's willing to compromise and where the priorities lie. Unlimited data is a nonstarter IMO given that the major carriers have gone tiered anyway. I really like TMO's customer service but no coverage where I need it is a dealbreaker for me and TMO doesn't work for me where I live. They were great in southern Florida but I'm rarely down there. Sprint is even worse for me. Verizon isn't cheap but their coverage meets my needs. That said, each needs to assess coverage which varies by market and even within markets and not rely on procedurally generated coverage maps (i.e. pretty much any coverage map).

You can't just assume that your disdain for Verizon -- or any other topic, for that matter -- applies to every other person out there. There are certainly many that share your opinion but there are also many that do not. While Verizon works for me I wouldn't blindly recommend them to every person. It's matter of what suits the individual.

Yoshiofthewire wrote:I'm on at&t because I want unlocked cell phones with SIMs I can just change at will

You can get that with Verizon. Because of their 700Mhz spectrum acquisition several years back they have to leave all devices unlocked. Not sure how it is with TMO these days but when I was with them they would unlock devices. One can also pay outright for an unlocked device regardless of the carrier that one is using.

nismoZtuner wrote:hahaha, my other option is ATT.

Just my opinion but they're not any better as a company or with regard to customer service. Coverage may be better with one or the other, someone may find simultaneous voice and data to push them to at&t, etc. However,being the biggest two, at&t & Verizon pretty much tend to follow each other.

lobbythis wrote:But, I would never invest in a phone for $700-$800 knowing they are just being pumped out with little innovation.

If you're investing in rapidly depreciating assets like smartphones (or cars, etc) then you're doing it wrong.

darkguy2 wrote:Member you have several logical fallacies to your argument. Among them are: false dilemma and ad hominem.

If you expect otherwise you're doing it wrong.

User avatar
djrez4
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby djrez4 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:22 am

darkguy2 wrote:Member you have several logical fallacies to your argument. Among them are: false dilemma and ad hominem.


True, but when you resort to calling out someone's logical fallacies, you've already lost. I mean, Member used an umlaut in his post. He automagically wins the argument and you're not allowed to post again until someone says your name.

Or, you can buy him some coke. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
[RIGHT][size=100]- Sapphire Preferred - Freedom - Ink - Platinum - Everyday Preferred -[/size]
[/RIGHT]

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:09 pm

takeshi wrote:

You can get that with Verizon. Because of their 700Mhz spectrum acquisition several years back they have to leave all devices unlocked. Not sure how it is with TMO these days but when I was with them they would unlock devices. One can also pay outright for an unlocked device regardless of the carrier that one is using.


The LTE sim is unlocked, that is all. Device still requires CDMA for voice. So, you cannot just take Verizon phones to whatever carrier you want.

supercoolman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:48 am
Location: South Bay Area

Postby supercoolman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:45 am

lobbythis wrote:The LTE sim is unlocked, that is all. Device still requires CDMA for voice. So, you cannot just take Verizon phones to whatever carrier you want.


unless you call using data like google voice or skype?

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:49 am

supercoolman wrote:unless you call using data like google voice or skype?


True. If everything you do is over LTE, then you are 100% free to roam as long as the LTE bands are supported by whatever carrier SIM you use. The newest iPads operate like this. Once every US carrier switches to VoLTE, you can literally buy whatever phone you want. Still a long ways to go though.

andy1088
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm
Location: New Jersey, United States

Postby andy1088 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:10 am

Full disclosure I've worked for 2 of the 4 major companies and pretty much know everything about the other two.
AT&T: Amazing LTE speeds (I've seen 55MB down and 15 MB UP), unlimited talk & text for the most part now, expensive but good coverage, no unlimited data (but cheaper than VZW) and still has activation/upgrade fees.
Verizon: Good LTE speeds, great coverage almost anywhere in the country, unlimited talk & text for the most part, very expensive, no unlimited data and still has activation and upgrade fees
T-Mobile: Great lte speeds, decent coverage can get voice almost anywhere data where they have it is great, all plans have unlimited talk text and data but will throttle if applicable, amazing prices on plans, international roaming included for free with ALL non prepaid plans, unlimited data is available with FREE hotspot also no activation fees or upgrade fees!
Sprint: Horrible lte speeds/barely any lte coverage (I only get 3G within 10 miles of my house), voice coverage almost anywhere, phones can only be used on Sprint (hurts resale value a lot), 3G is snail slow (less than 1MBPS), prices range from horrible (older plans) to not bad (newer plans),unlimited data available (again slow as heck), and still has activation and upgrade fees...

I'd go with T-mobile best value, best phones, international roaming and a robust, fast LTE network where they built it out. I drove from the northeast to the southwest last year and had voice coverage everywhere. Data wasn't as strong, but yea. Also T-Mobile is wayyyyyyyyy better than Sprint. Sprint is godawful.
My cards
Chase-Sapphire-$5,000 Freedom-$3,000, Amazon rewards-$700, Slate-$600
Citi- Diamond Preferred-$4,000, Thank you-$2,500
Discover IT-$2,500
Bank of America cash rewards-$2,000
Capital one newcomer rewards-$500

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Postby takeshi » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:09 pm

lobbythis wrote:The LTE sim is unlocked, that is all. Device still requires CDMA for voice. So, you cannot just take Verizon phones to whatever carrier you want.

That is incorrect. CDMA is used for voice on Verizon -- though the iPhone 6 supports VoLTE and Verizon has enabled it on their end as well. However that doesn't mean that CDMA is required for voice on the device regardless of carrier. It's Verizon's legacy network that requires CDMA for voice -- not the device itself.

Again, the terms of the 700MHz spectrum acquisition prohibit then from disabling ANY feature on their devices. The SIM is unlocked and not just for LTE. It can be used on any carrier just like any other unlocked device.

I have a personal Verizon 5s and a work at&t 5. The SIM from the at&t 5 works just fine in the Verizon 5s for data and voice. If Verizon devices could only use CDMA for voice they would be useless when traveling in other countries and roaming on GSM networks.

supercoolman wrote:unless you call using data like google voice or skype?

Google Voice is not a VOIP service that uses data for calls. GV requires voice service or another VOIP solution in place of voice service.

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:33 pm

takeshi wrote:
I have a personal Verizon 5s and a work at&t 5. The SIM from the at&t 5 works just fine in the Verizon 5s for data and voice. If Verizon devices could only use CDMA for voice they would be useless when traveling in a lot of other countries and roaming on GSM networks.



So, you're saying, you can just take your AT&T SIM and place it in your Verizon 5S and start making calls?

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Postby takeshi » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Yup. Be careful with your sources. Validate, corroborate, etc.



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests