Gym Hygiene

A place to discuss anything... except credit cards!
User avatar
nismoZtuner
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: EARTH -CA

Postby nismoZtuner » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 am

otter wrote:You seem like you have a good routine going nismo...you understand the fact that you can't starve to lose weight (it;s counterproductive since you end up burning muscle which slows down metabolism big time). Keep it up! If there was one thing I would change... it's maybe work your legs twice a week. The leg muscles are the largest in the body and often the most neglected. Build good leg muscles and your body becomes a fat burning machine- everything else falls into place.



Yeah, I see most lifters at the gym ignore legs that some of them end of looking like chicken hahah.

I will add more leg work on Thursdays.. ohhh also during the weekends I go out hiking!
TU 752 (+4) - [5/9/2014] CK 726 - [11/24/14] EX 725 - [11/20/14] EQ 710
BankofAmerica Cash Rewards [2k] I American Express Blue Cash Everyday [3K] l Discover IT[2.5]
American Express Premier Rewards Gold [NPSL] I Marriott Rewards Premier [5k]
Chase Sapphire Preferred[7.3]
Inquires: TU(?) EX(?) EQ(?)
TCL-$19,800
Age-22


User avatar
nismoZtuner
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: EARTH -CA

Postby nismoZtuner » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 am

mdl28 wrote:Finally getting back to the original topic. Tomorrow morning I am going to be the sweat enforcer. Maybe..


Hahah my bad, I'm was stealing your thread! Yeah people are going to be like "eyy you mirrin bruh" what would you do next?
TU 752 (+4) - [5/9/2014] CK 726 - [11/24/14] EX 725 - [11/20/14] EQ 710

BankofAmerica Cash Rewards [2k] I American Express Blue Cash Everyday [3K] l Discover IT[2.5]

American Express Premier Rewards Gold [NPSL] I Marriott Rewards Premier [5k]

Chase Sapphire Preferred[7.3]

Inquires: TU(?) EX(?) EQ(?)

TCL-$19,800

Age-22

EdwardYK
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby EdwardYK » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:45 am

nismoZtuner wrote:Ever since day one I would use the towel that is given to me when I walk into the gym to clean the machines I use. My friend uses the machines and once he's done he just walks off like nothing- sometimes I ask him where his manners are and is like "I don't care". So I guess it goes by that.

Question, any of you guys use supplements? Any recommendations?

I'm currently using Metabolic Nutrition Protyzime (protein) and M.N BCAAs. I use BCAAs while at the gym or when I go running. I just turned 22 last week, I'm 6 ft 2 and weight 178 at the moment- last year that's when I joined the gym since and lost close to 50 pounds. I used to weight 225/8 on 12.31.12 mostly fat.. I was able to drop down to 170 and wasn't able to gain weight for a while that's when I started talking to some guys at the gym that helped me out change my routine and recommended a few changes in my diet since I was eating to grow but enough to maintain so after that I went up to 178 quick..



Hey nismo! Jack3d is a great supplement in terms of energy boosts in the gym. I take creatine monohydrate as well when I'm looking to bulk/gain. Both these supplements are best on cyclical use and not continued use for longer than 3-4 weeks in my experience. What are your goals?

mdl28
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:18 pm
Location: TX

Postby mdl28 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:10 am

nismoZtuner wrote:Hahah my bad, I'm was stealing your thread! Yeah people are going to be like "eyy you mirrin bruh" what would you do next?


No big deal. Yeah as far as telling people, it will probably take a lot of built up annoyance for me to say something. Or maybe if I'm already having a bad day, Ill then let the rule breaker(s) have it. As far as dumbbells go, that's a tough one. I've never thought of them as a piece to wipe down, but hands really do work up a sweat. I'm more worried about the ass and back sweat when these people get up from doing an intense workout. Staph infection anyone.. Please sit here on this pool of unknown sweat.
MDL

Amex Gold Prem'r
Amex BCP
Amex Green
Barclays Ring Platinum MasterCard
Citi Diamond Pref'd
Chase Sapphire Pref'd Visa Signature
Chase Freedom MasterCard
Discover It
New York Life Visa Signature

User avatar
jumbo
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 am
Location: IA

Postby jumbo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:11 am

nismoZtuner - thanks for the great post. I eat healthy like you mentioned, but looks like I don't eat enough. I am working on it now.
I rarely drink soda (one soda a month maybe if I am traveling), but can't give up on beer.
Where does the beer stand during the workouts? :ppp

P.S.: I agree on wiping after using the equipments.
BofA Cash Rewards | CapitalOne QuickSilver | Discover More
Gold Delta AMEX | Citi DoubleCash | Citi Simplicity
Chase Freedom | Kohls Charge Card

User avatar
nismoZtuner
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: EARTH -CA

Postby nismoZtuner » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 pm

EdwardYK wrote:Hey nismo! Jack3d is a great supplement in terms of energy boosts in the gym. I take creatine monohydrate as well when I'm looking to bulk/gain. Both these supplements are best on cyclical use and not continued use for longer than 3-4 weeks in my experience. What are your goals?


I thought about using Creatine but what I have been reading is that once I give it up that I will drop in strength(is it true?)- One of my friends that sometimes goes to the gym with me is using Creatine from Optimum Nutrition and he says that all he noticed is that he can push more weight but he doesnt want to use protein- "it hurts my pride" yet he uses Creatine . Well... I want to go from 178 up to 190 and just maintain- look build. still need to shed some mid section fat..

The guy who I asked to make suggestions is 5'7 and weights 193 looks like a pit bull hahah- I`m 6'2. He tells me "dude you're tall, once you get build you're going to be looking nice, while i`m on the short side- I would give up some of this muscle **flexes** to be your height"

Edit- The guy doesnt uses creatine- tell me only FOOD, little protein and more FOOD! and is in the gym every single day.. 7PM-10PM
TU 752 (+4) - [5/9/2014] CK 726 - [11/24/14] EX 725 - [11/20/14] EQ 710

BankofAmerica Cash Rewards [2k] I American Express Blue Cash Everyday [3K] l Discover IT[2.5]

American Express Premier Rewards Gold [NPSL] I Marriott Rewards Premier [5k]

Chase Sapphire Preferred[7.3]

Inquires: TU(?) EX(?) EQ(?)

TCL-$19,800

Age-22

User avatar
nismoZtuner
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: EARTH -CA

Postby nismoZtuner » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:08 pm

jumbo wrote:nismoZtuner - thanks for the great post. I eat healthy like you mentioned, but looks like I don't eat enough. I am working on it now.
I rarely drink soda (one soda a month maybe if I am traveling), but can't give up on beer.
Where does the beer stand during the workouts? :ppp

P.S.: I agree on wiping after using the equipments.


yup good luck the guy who I talked to used to weight 110 @ 5 ft 7 and now is at 193ish
TU 752 (+4) - [5/9/2014] CK 726 - [11/24/14] EX 725 - [11/20/14] EQ 710

BankofAmerica Cash Rewards [2k] I American Express Blue Cash Everyday [3K] l Discover IT[2.5]

American Express Premier Rewards Gold [NPSL] I Marriott Rewards Premier [5k]

Chase Sapphire Preferred[7.3]

Inquires: TU(?) EX(?) EQ(?)

TCL-$19,800

Age-22

EdwardYK
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby EdwardYK » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:45 pm

nismoZtuner wrote:I thought about using Creatine but what I have been reading is that once I give it up that I will drop in strength(is it true?)- One of my friends that sometimes goes to the gym with me is using Creatine from Optimum Nutrition and he says that all he noticed is that he can push more weight but he doesnt want to use protein- "it hurts my pride" yet he uses Creatine . Well... I want to go from 178 up to 190 and just maintain- look build. still need to shed some mid section fat..

The guy who I asked to make suggestions is 5'7 and weights 193 looks like a pit bull hahah- I`m 6'2. He tells me "dude you're tall, once you get build you're going to be looking nice, while i`m on the short side- I would give up some of this muscle **flexes** to be your height"

Edit- The guy doesnt uses creatine- tell me only FOOD, little protein and more FOOD! and is in the gym every single day.. 7PM-10PM


Well, creatine should give you a good pump to be able to push more in the gym which will result in strength gains. But yes it's not something that should be sustained for a long time. Diet is 70-80% of it especially if you're a hard gainer/ectomorph. You'll have to eat cleanly and a lot (this might be the hardest part) Maintaining a physique that is outside of your body's natural equilibrium does mean you have to be consistent with a good diet and workout regimen.

Ex. The guy you spoke to who is 5' 7" at 193: That's great for him to have gained if he's happy with where he's at. But if he stops working out and doesn't maintain a clean diet, within a short time, much of his muscle mass will be signalled to turn into fat. Unless you're a body builder, gaining or losing so far outside your body's homeostasis leads to volatility and from what I've seen, many pitfalls.

EdwardYK
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby EdwardYK » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Also, for the sweat on equipment issue, I take a small but thick, dedicated towel to the gym and I put it down on whatever I'm using always the same side for that day (so I'm not touching any of that grime). I have a few of these towels rotating and wash them every week.

supercoolman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:48 am
Location: South Bay Area

Postby supercoolman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 am

news reporter : working out at gym may not be as healthy as you think



Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests