Success!!

Where you can talk about store credit cards, like gas station cards, department store cards, etc.
26 posts
popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Vattené wrote:I made another request a month or so ago, but didn't get any love. Coincidentally (honestly), I also happened to apply for my Amex shortly after that. I still use Discover, but my spending is now split between two cards...I might be on their sh*tlist soon myself :ppp

I was only using Discover because it was just my first and I was getting more comfortable putting all spending through credit cards. I went for the Amex to try to start optimizing rewards, but I did enjoy only having one credit card bill to keep track of and pay.


I really don't wanna complain about Discover too much because the card itself is pretty great and has some really nice rewards and perks and all and the customer service is pretty great too. With their online chat, I'd say they're even better than Amex's at times. I just find it ironic and kinda annoying that the card that I find one of the most useful ones in my collection and something that I wanna be able to use much more happens to have the lowest limit still. I mean I'd be happy even if they just increased my limit to $1000 or $1500 and that's really all I'm seeking from them.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)


User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Postby Vattené » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:40 pm

I totally get that. At least it sounds like the limit is enough for your needs (despite being so low in absolute terms) and you're not having to make multiple payments just so you are able to use it as you like. As long as the rewards/perks are good for you and you can use it as you please, it's still a good deal. Hopefully Discover grows with you over time. Keep in mind that this is still a pretty new relationship in the credit world.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 805 (2/17) | TU - 787 (2/17)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:36 am

popamode72 wrote:I really don't wanna complain about Discover too much because the card itself is pretty great and has some really nice rewards and perks and all and the customer service is pretty great too. With their online chat, I'd say they're even better than Amex's at times. I just find it ironic and kinda annoying that the card that I find one of the most useful ones in my collection and something that I wanna be able to use much more happens to have the lowest limit still. I mean I'd be happy even if they just increased my limit to $1000 or $1500 and that's really all I'm seeking from them.


If I were you, I would just SD that sh*t card until they stop playing games.

You have a good profile and lots of nice cards. Why the focus on that thing? My only prime card is my lowly Chase Freedom and I want to use it, but like your's, the limit is useless to me. It exists solely to build a relationship. The 5% is great on the It and Freedom, but useless with these kiddy limits so SD is where they belong. Trying to justify them is pointless until they take you seriously.

Sure, I'm losing 5%...but it's only up to $1,500 anyways even if I had a larger limit on my Freedom. I spend way beyond that so f*ck it, I'm done with it until it can be justifiable. My main cards are my USAA and CapOne. 2.25% cash back on my USAA and then using CapOne Venture to get my miles and Quicksilver to cover a handful of other small bills/purchases. The limits with both USAA and CapOne are great and my next CLI is in December. Both companies have been awesome and my credit sucks compared to 90% of the people on this forum.

BTW, I call to request CLI. That's how I got big limits fast. The online CSR's and automated CLI functions are a waste of time for most creditors in my opinion.

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:21 am

lobbythis wrote:If I were you, I would just SD that sh*t card until they stop playing games.

You have a good profile and lots of nice cards. Why the focus on that thing? My only prime card is my lowly Chase Freedom and I want to use it, but like your's, the limit is useless to me. It exists solely to build a relationship. The 5% is great on the It and Freedom, but useless with these kiddy limits so SD is where they belong. Trying to justify them is pointless until they take you seriously.

Sure, I'm losing 5%...but it's only up to $1,500 anyways even if I had a larger limit on my Freedom. I spend way beyond that so f*ck it, I'm done with it until it can be justifiable. My main cards are my USAA and CapOne. 2.25% cash back on my USAA and then using CapOne Venture to get my miles and Quicksilver to cover a handful of other small bills/purchases. The limits with both USAA and CapOne are great and my next CLI is in December. Both companies have been awesome and my credit sucks compared to 90% of the people on this forum.

BTW, I call to request CLI. That's how I got big limits fast. The online CSR's and automated CLI functions are a waste of time for most creditors in my opinion.


Yeah you're right. I'm gonna stop putting any recurring charges on that card too if that's how they want to be. Maybe they will surprise me somehow. Amex and Chase are what I'm really going to continue to focus on and where my spending is going now. They really gave me a chance to handle much higher limits and I couldn't be any more grateful about that.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

MB131174
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: PA

Postby MB131174 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:15 am

Vattené wrote:I made another request a month or so ago, but didn't get any love. Coincidentally (honestly), I also happened to apply for my Amex shortly after that. I still use Discover, but my spending is now split between two cards...I might be on their sh*tlist soon myself :ppp

I was only using Discover because it was just my first and I was getting more comfortable putting all spending through credit cards. I went for the Amex to try to start optimizing rewards, but I did enjoy only having one credit card bill to keep track of and pay.


I've found life is much easier and less of a hassle by using my Discover for everything. I think by using it for everything is what helped me get the CLI. Funny, but I tried that with AmEx in the past and nada. No love. No luck. Still at their original limits so I quit using AmEx. 100% of my card use is my Discover card now.
stalk me
KIK: WMB1974

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:43 am

MB131174 wrote:I've found life is much easier and less of a hassle by using my Discover for everything. I think by using it for everything is what helped me get the CLI. Funny, but I tried that with AmEx in the past and nada. No love. No luck. Still at their original limits so I quit using AmEx. 100% of my card use is my Discover card now.


It's like the exact opposite of my situation. Amex has been super generous with me from the get go. They really like me a lot and I consider Amex to be my favorite prime lender at this point with Chase being not too far behind despite how fickle they used to be with me before I got in with them. I have especially found them to be easy to work with and I really like how I haven't had any problems being able to get other Amex cards I've wanted within the time span that I've been with them. I definitely would put a lot more of my spending on that Discover card if the limit was bigger though.

I also think Barclays is pretty overrated though they have decent customer service as well and I consider them to be alright overall and for a long while, I really started to detest Citi the most until I had some interaction with their EO.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)



Return to “Store Issued Cards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests