Credit Card Forum
  1. #1
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,581

    Default Merchant gift cards at gas stations

    Has anyone successfully bought a gift card from a gas station with a credit card to earn rewards?
    Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
    Plane tickets: CSP
    Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
    Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
    Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
    Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
    Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
    Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
    Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
    Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
    Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward
    Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    795

    Default

    I was under the impression that they can tell the difference between inside sales and paying at the pump. I have seen on my statements something like 'Sunoco inside sales.' So i figured they don't offer cash back for inside sales.
    Credit Cards
    Amex BCE 25K ---- PenFed Platinum Rewards 15.5K --- US Bank Cash+ 12K --- Discover IT 6K --- Citi Dividend 5K --- Chase Freedom 12.5K --- Amex SPG 6K --- Citi Thank You Preferred 15K

    Not Used
    Citi Simplicity - 5K, Sam's Club Discover - 10K

    Future Cards
    Sallie Mae World Mastercard

    FICOs
    Exp 772 - TU 781 - Equ 781
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    360

    Default

    At the same time though, you'll often find the sort of verbiage on the rewards terms such as "gas purchases are classified as purchases made at a stand-alone gas station within the continental US" or something to that effect. I'd say you should be good to pocket some extra rewards that way, but I'd try and pick up some low-amount gift cards first and run the calculations based on your statement just to be sure. I mean, even if they do distinguish inside sales from pump sales, you can pay for gas inside too, so it wouldn't make sense for them to disallow inside sales from counting toward your category spending.
    Amex Green - NPSL - 05/12
    Amex Zync - NPSL - 06/12
    Discover it - $7750 - 11/12
    Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $5000 - 11/12
    SECU Platinum Visa - $5000 - 08/08
    Bank of America Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Visa - $3000 - 06/08
    Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard - $3000 - 05/12
    GECRB Old Navy Visa - $2500 - 11/12
    Chase Amazon Visa - $2000 - 11/12
    Chase Freedom Visa - $2000 - 07/12
    Citi Thank You Visa - $1000 - 06/12
    Amex Blue Cash Everyday - $1000 - 01/13
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. Centurion Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cashback View Post
    I was under the impression that they can tell the difference between inside sales and paying at the pump. I have seen on my statements something like 'Sunoco inside sales.' So i figured they don't offer cash back for inside sales.
    If you watch Discover commercials during those quarters, they talk about alot of items that you buy inside. Inside purchases count with Discover.
    Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
    Plane tickets: CSP
    Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
    Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
    Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
    Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
    Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
    Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
    Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
    Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
    Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward
    Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfacedudeguy View Post
    At the same time though, you'll often find the sort of verbiage on the rewards terms such as "gas purchases are classified as purchases made at a stand-alone gas station within the continental US" or something to that effect. I'd say you should be good to pocket some extra rewards that way, but I'd try and pick up some low-amount gift cards first and run the calculations based on your statement just to be sure. I mean, even if they do distinguish inside sales from pump sales, you can pay for gas inside too, so it wouldn't make sense for them to disallow inside sales from counting toward your category spending.
    Bingo. I concur.
    Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
    Plane tickets: CSP
    Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
    Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
    Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
    Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
    Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
    Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
    Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
    Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
    Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward
    Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Are there gas stations with a "good" range of gift cards? I rarely go in, but don't remember seeing a huge array at my local one (compared to say drug stores and supermarkets)
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureBillionaire View Post
    If you watch Discover commercials during those quarters, they talk about alot of items that you buy inside. Inside purchases count with Discover.
    It sure counts for anyone lucky enough to live near a Super Wawa. For anyone who has never lived in or visited New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and a few other areas nearby, Wawa is like a high end 7-11 and some of them have gas stations (Super Wawas). They have a pretty big selection of gift cards, second only to supermarkets and big box stores, and Discover counts ANYTHING you buy under the gasoline category. Regardless of whether the card is swiped at the pump or in the store, and regardless of whether you are filling up your gas tank or buying a cup of coffee and a $50 gift card to wherever. I've experimented with it through the gas quarters on my More card and it has always worked. Haven't tried shopping inside yet with PenFed or Blue Cash Preferred to see what Visa and Amex codes count inside purchases as.
    Now she's eyeless.
    The snakes she held once
    Eat up her hands.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. Centurion Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hematino View Post
    It sure counts for anyone lucky enough to live near a Super Wawa. For anyone who has never lived in or visited New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and a few other areas nearby, Wawa is like a high end 7-11 and some of them have gas stations (Super Wawas). They have a pretty big selection of gift cards, second only to supermarkets and big box stores, and Discover counts ANYTHING you buy under the gasoline category. Regardless of whether the card is swiped at the pump or in the store, and regardless of whether you are filling up your gas tank or buying a cup of coffee and a $50 gift card to wherever. I've experimented with it through the gas quarters on my More card and it has always worked. Haven't tried shopping inside yet with PenFed or Blue Cash Preferred to see what Visa and Amex codes count inside purchases as.


    I have tried Penfed. It didn't work.
    Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
    Plane tickets: CSP
    Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
    Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
    Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
    Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
    Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
    Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
    Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
    Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
    Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward
    Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Damn. Thanks for the info though FutureBillionaire. I'll try my BCP next time for a small purchase inside and see what Amex counts it as. No idea how to tell for MasterCard's merchant code, cause my only two MCs are my Sapphire Preferred which isnt for gas and a Barclays which is in the sock drawer.
    Now she's eyeless.
    The snakes she held once
    Eat up her hands.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Centurion Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York state
    Posts
    1,381

    Default

    I would say Hess has a large amount of selection on gift cards.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Advertising Disclosure: CreditCardForum is an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. The owner of this website may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.

Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are authorís alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all info is presented without warranty. Consult a card's issuing bank for terms & conditions.