What have you all used your free hotel night for?

All about maximizing your rewards!
Members share tips and tricks for getting the most miles, & points.
21 posts
User avatar
kcm7
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 pm
Location: TX

What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby kcm7 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 pm

I just hit my 1-year anniversary on my IHG card so for the first time ever, I have the exciting possibility to decide how to use a free hotel night.

Curious to see what others have used their free night on. Super-expensive property for a special trip? Boring suburban hotel for an out of town wedding? Had to burn it and used it for a little get-away in your city?
Cards:

-Capital One Quicksilver
-Barclaycard Arrival (no AF)
- US Bank (no rewards)
-IHG


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:48 pm

kcm7 wrote:I just hit my 1-year anniversary on my IHG card so for the first time ever, I have the exciting possibility to decide how to use a free hotel night.

Curious to see what others have used their free night on. Super-expensive property for a special trip? Boring suburban hotel for an out of town wedding? Had to burn it and used it for a little get-away in your city?

IHG NYC on NYE, as most here know.

Hyatt I had planned to use for a night at the Cat 3 Regency by LAX the night before an early flight. My 2017 flights have been midday, though. I have 9 months to use the certificate that way or find some other use for it.

Maybe something in the outlying parts of the San Fran bay area? I'm likely to go up there at some point in the next few months.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

User avatar
kcm7
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 pm
Location: TX

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby kcm7 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:IHG NYC on NYE, as most here know.


Wow that's pretty much Reward Goals right there. :cheers:

Could see myself using mine for an airport overnighter to split up a long trip as well, but no big international trips planned in the near future. If my BIL does indeed do a destination wedding, though, I might use it to extend my vacation a little.
Cards:

-Capital One Quicksilver
-Barclaycard Arrival (no AF)
- US Bank (no rewards)
-IHG

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:30 pm

On a slightly related topic, I've semi-burned some Wyndham points I bought on sale a while back. I had hoped to make it out to Chicago to use them at the popular Riverfront property there, but instead will redeem at the nice-but-not-amazing New Yorker.

I'm still getting a decent value from the points (in the ballpark of 1.75x or 2x what I paid for them 11 months ago).

Considering that:
1. Cards give me medium status at many other chains now
2. I have a lot of points and programs in general
3. The points would have expired within a year unless I found some way to keep them active
4. Wyndham has fairly few properties at which I'd actually want to stay (but can offer excellent award value at them)

...I feel a little relieved to have just used them up at what should be a reasonably good value. No particular complaints...but it's one award currency I can drop at this time without waste.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm finally redeeming my Hyatt night for the LAX Regency. So that's not going to waste. Cat 3, with a revenue night costing about $190 with tax. Decent for a $75 AF.

Wyndham New Yorker was okay. Certainly clean, though the door locks and/or key cards were buggy. Some would call the rooms antique or charming, but I'd say it needs renovation. By booking award nights I got around a $29 per night "facility fee" surcharge that I didn't even realize until later existed for revenue guests.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby Nixon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I'm finally redeeming my Hyatt night for the LAX Regency. So that's not going to waste. Cat 3, with a revenue night costing about $190 with tax. Decent for a $75 AF.

Wyndham New Yorker was okay. Certainly clean, though the door locks and/or key cards were buggy. Some would call the rooms antique or charming, but I'd say it needs renovation. By booking award nights I got around a $29 per night "facility fee" surcharge that I didn't even realize until later existed for revenue guests.

Here's one that will blow your doors off.

Andaz Papagayo in Costa Rica, in peak season no less. Cash price is over $500/ni plus 10% resort fee and tax.

Cost to us? 2 Anniv 1-4 Certs and 45,000 WOH points for 5 nights. Since it's an award booking, resort fee is waived. Flights? Used BA avíos, 10K each way.

Using my two unrestricted certs for Hyatt RC Siesta Key (Cat 7), cash price is over $900/night.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Very nice.

I'm sitting on about 60k Hyatt points so need to put them to use.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby Nixon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:18 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Very nice.

I'm sitting on about 60k Hyatt points so need to put them to use.

How'd you accumulate that many? Did you convert your free nights to points?
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Nixon wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Very nice.

I'm sitting on about 60k Hyatt points so need to put them to use.

How'd you accumulate that many? Did you convert your free nights to points?

I apped via a targeted email offer for 50k. Added an AU for 5k. The rest are earned points.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: What have you all used your free hotel night for?

Postby Nixon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
Nixon wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Very nice.

I'm sitting on about 60k Hyatt points so need to put them to use.

How'd you accumulate that many? Did you convert your free nights to points?

I apped via a targeted email offer for 50k. Added an AU for 5k. The rest are earned points.

Pah, why couldn't I get that offer!

It's alright. Wife will soon be eligible for another Hyatt card bonus.
Image



Return to “Rewards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests