Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

All about maximizing your rewards!
Members share tips and tricks for getting the most miles, & points.
9 posts
blu87
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 pm
Location: VA

Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby blu87 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 am

I had racked up something like 65,000 points (around $450) on my Citi Mastercard, but didn't really know what to do with the points. Then, just the other day I happened to be looking around my Amazon Message Center and noticed a message from Amazon. It said that I could now use my reward points on their website. Awesome!

Here's my question: When I redeem my reward points, does the purchase show up on my credit card statement? I'd like to use the points to buy my wife something she deserves that's kind of expensive, but I don't want her to know. If it shows up on the statement, it will ruin the surprise. She never pays attention to the points balance, so at least I'm safe there. But she always checks each purchase against the receipts to make sure everything is correct.


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:25 pm

blu87 wrote:I had racked up something like 65,000 points (around $450) on my Citi Mastercard, but didn't really know what to do with the points. Then, just the other day I happened to be looking around my Amazon Message Center and noticed a message from Amazon. It said that I could now use my reward points on their website. Awesome!

Here's my question: When I redeem my reward points, does the purchase show up on my credit card statement? I'd like to use the points to buy my wife something she deserves that's kind of expensive, but I don't want her to know. If it shows up on the statement, it will ruin the surprise. She never pays attention to the points balance, so at least I'm safe there. But she always checks each purchase against the receipts to make sure everything is correct.

I assume we're talking about ThankYou points. If not, disregard my comments.

I've not used them on Amazon, but I have used them to book flights through Citi, paying with TY points. I didn't transfer the points to partners. Those flights have not appeared on my statements, so I'm inclined to think Amazon purchases wouldn't appear, either.

However...the TY point balance definitely does appear. Her sleuthing eye may notice that the point balance has fallen from the previous statement. There's enough info for her to know something is going on.

I don't know what card you have. Some TY cards have more valuable redemption options than Amazon.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Lalalandra
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby Lalalandra » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:16 pm

I don't think they'd show up. You're using your points like money, so it would be like using a gift card. And you wouldn't be entering your card number, so the card could never be charged, right?

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 am

She might not notice the difference between 62000, 65000 or 68000...but going to almost zero might be another story?
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

blu87
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 pm
Location: VA

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby blu87 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:34 am

These are ThankYou points. Is there a way I can use them on Walmart's website?

Does anyone know if these points ever get "reset" if they're not used within a certain time period. I know my wife never used any of them, but it seems like we should have more. I could be wrong. We don't spend much and we haven't spent as much on gas in the last year.

What ever happened to the Sears Rewards, does that still exist? I remember having at least 20,000 points about 2-3 years ago and looking at the rewards on a Sears website. I didn't think about the points again until they showed up on my Amazon account.

User avatar
kcm7
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 pm
Location: TX

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby kcm7 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm

blu87 wrote:These are ThankYou points. Is there a way I can use them on Walmart's website?

Does anyone know if these points ever get "reset" if they're not used within a certain time period. I know my wife never used any of them, but it seems like we should have more. I could be wrong. We don't spend much and we haven't spent as much on gas in the last year.


You can't use TY points with Walmart, just Amazon.

And those points don't expire as long as you keep your card open, so you probably didn't lose any.
Cards:

-Capital One Quicksilver
-Barclaycard Arrival (no AF)
- US Bank (no rewards)
-IHG

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby yfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 am

If your wife only monitors the statements and doesn't check transactions online, I'd suggest buying it between statements. Time it so that by the time the statement generates, you'll have given her the surprise.

oldsoldier
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm
Location: TN

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby oldsoldier » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 am

I was wondering what kind of value do you get using points with Amazon?
BoA Cash Rewards $13,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $14,000
BoA Better Balance $12,000
Amex Every Day $24,000
Discover It $24,000
NFCU Cash Rewards $25,200
Barclay Arrival WMC $10,000
Cap One QuickSilver WMC $7,200
WF Cash back Visa Sig $11,000
Citi Thank You Premier $13,500

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Using Reward Points - Evidence on Statements?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:30 pm

oldsoldier wrote:I was wondering what kind of value do you get using points with Amazon?

0.8 cpp...for Prestige, at least.

It's a bad point value...and the purchase sounds like possibly something for which card perks could be useful...an extended warranty, price rewind, stuff like that...though I don't know if it might be an excluded item.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card



Return to “Rewards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests