Best Cash Back card?

All about maximizing your rewards!
Members share tips and tricks for getting the most miles, & points.
9 posts
User avatar
InCreditWeTrust
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Washington D.C

Best Cash Back card?

Postby InCreditWeTrust » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi

I'm in the market looking for a cash back credit card. Wanted to know which you guys recommended.

As of now I've only been looking at the Citi Double cash back and Chase Unlimited Freedom. I've done some research on the forum as well.

I have a good credit score and looking to hear back from you guys. Not sure what else to add here. Feel free to share your recommendations and any questions you may have.


Thank you


Darrvao777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am
Location: NYC

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby Darrvao777 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:55 pm

InCreditWeTrust wrote:Hi

I'm in the market looking for a cash back credit card. Wanted to know which you guys recommended.

As of now I've only been looking at the Citi Double cash back.

I have a good credit score and looking to hear back from you guys. Not sure what else to add here. Feel free to share your recommendations and any questions you may have.


Thank you


Depends on what you're looking for

I like the Citi Double Cash back card because it's a solid 2% for everything and an easy redemption.

Fidelity Visa has a 2% cash back card as well but it requires a transfer of points into a Fidelity account to recoup the 2%

If you shop a lot on Amazon, there is an Amazon Prime card for 5% cash back that is auto deducted from each month's statement

I use the Costco Visa card for 4% cash back on gasoline although Penfed has a 5% cash back card and there are many rotating category cards that will offer gasoline 5% cash back depending on the quarter

EDIT: I should add my wife is usually the grocery shopper so the Amex Blue Preferred Cash Card gives you 6% back on groceries
- Amex Platinum
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Visa Fidelity

User avatar
InCreditWeTrust
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Washington D.C

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby InCreditWeTrust » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Darrvao777 wrote:
InCreditWeTrust wrote:Hi

I'm in the market looking for a cash back credit card. Wanted to know which you guys recommended.

As of now I've only been looking at the Citi Double cash back.

I have a good credit score and looking to hear back from you guys. Not sure what else to add here. Feel free to share your recommendations and any questions you may have.


Thank you


Depends on what you're looking for

I like the Citi Double Cash back card because it's a solid 2% for everything and an easy redemption.

Fidelity Visa has a 2% cash back card as well but it requires a transfer of points into a Fidelity account to recoup the 2%

If you shop a lot on Amazon, there is an Amazon Prime card for 5% cash back that is auto deducted from each month's statement

I use the Costco Visa card for 4% cash back on gasoline although Penfed has a 5% cash back card and there are many rotating category cards that will offer gasoline 5% cash back depending on the quarter

EDIT: I should add my wife is usually the grocery shopper so the Amex Blue Preferred Cash Card gives you 6% back on groceries



What do you think about the Amazon Rewards Visa card? I've been reading reviews on it, seems like a good card for a frequent Amazon shopper.


I want something that will give me points and cash back on groceries, gas, store purchases, and airline fares.

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby To My Credit » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:20 pm

If you are going to use it exclusively for all kinds of expenses, the Citi Double Cash is an obvious choice. But that's for the typical person with typical expenses. If you spend an unholy amount of money on gas or grocery, you might want to consider different cards like the Bank of America Cash Rewards or the American Express Blue Cash Everyday.

This link gives you some basic numbers based on your expenses: https://www.nerdwallet.com/cash-rewards-credit-cards
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+

charged
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby charged » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:59 pm

InCreditWeTrust wrote:Hi
As of now I've only been looking at the Citi Double cash back and Chase Unlimited Freedom. I've done some research on the forum as well.



I was asking myself the exact same question and looking at both cards. Citi double gives you 2% as opposed to Freedom Unlimited's 1.5% but think the $150 initial sign up bonus eclipses that 1/2 of a percent. Over the long run Citi double will eventually catch back up and earn more. Maybe get the Freedom Unlimited first while they're still having that bonus, collect it, wait a year and then go for the double.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Price rewind is a nice Double Cash feature, as is the extended warranty...assuming you'd actually use them.

Also, if airline fares are a major spend category, maybe get a decent (AF) travel card for perks like delay insurance...not to mention a nice fat miles bonus?
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Darrvao777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am
Location: NYC

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby Darrvao777 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:23 pm

InCreditWeTrust wrote:
Darrvao777 wrote:
InCreditWeTrust wrote:Hi

I'm in the market looking for a cash back credit card. Wanted to know which you guys recommended.

As of now I've only been looking at the Citi Double cash back.

I have a good credit score and looking to hear back from you guys. Not sure what else to add here. Feel free to share your recommendations and any questions you may have.


Thank you


Depends on what you're looking for

I like the Citi Double Cash back card because it's a solid 2% for everything and an easy redemption.

Fidelity Visa has a 2% cash back card as well but it requires a transfer of points into a Fidelity account to recoup the 2%

If you shop a lot on Amazon, there is an Amazon Prime card for 5% cash back that is auto deducted from each month's statement

I use the Costco Visa card for 4% cash back on gasoline although Penfed has a 5% cash back card and there are many rotating category cards that will offer gasoline 5% cash back depending on the quarter

EDIT: I should add my wife is usually the grocery shopper so the Amex Blue Preferred Cash Card gives you 6% back on groceries



What do you think about the Amazon Rewards Visa card? I've been reading reviews on it, seems like a good card for a frequent Amazon shopper.


I want something that will give me points and cash back on groceries, gas, store purchases, and airline fares.


Not bad but since I'm a Prime member, I prefer the 5% cash back

How many are you thinking of applying for?

For so many categories, I think you have to either go simple (and miss out some rewards) or go with multiple cards like I've listed above.

If you are going simple, the Citi Double Cash card is probably the best overall %

If you are a big Costco shopper, you can consider their card so at least you are getting 2% cash back on groceries through Costco (4% actually if you are an executive member), 4% on gas, and 3% on airline fares.
- Amex Platinum
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Visa Fidelity

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby kdm31091 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:57 am

Like others have mentioned it depends how complex you want to go. If you just want to mainly use one card, a Double Cash is a great choice. 2% on every purchase.

If you're willing to do more work you can increase your gain on certain categories, but run the numbers for your spend. Sometimes the gain is less than you may think and may not be worth several accounts. That said, I don't recommend you ONLY have one credit card -- but you don't have to dilute your major spend across a bunch, either. It really just depends.

User avatar
InCreditWeTrust
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Washington D.C

Re: Best Cash Back card?

Postby InCreditWeTrust » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Update:

Alright for now I went for the Citi Double Cash rewards card and got approved. I think later I will just get the Chase Unlimited Freedom card, it has some benefits and perks that I like.



Return to “Rewards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests