Citi limiting bonuses by card family

All about maximizing your rewards!
Members share tips and tricks for getting the most miles, & points.
11 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Old rules: You won't get a bonus on X if you had X opened or closed within the last 24 months.
New rules: You won't get a bonus on X, Y, or Z if you had any one of X, Y, or Z opened or closed within the last 24 months.

If you got a bonus on AA Platinum, you're ineligible for a bonus on AA Gold, AA Executive, or a new AA Platinum. AA Business is considered separate.

If you got a bonus on TY Premier, you won't get one on Prestige.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when


Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby Tubpbs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:26 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Old rules: You won't get a bonus on X if you had X opened or closed within the last 24 months.
New rules: You won't get a bonus on X, Y, or Z if you had any one of X, Y, or Z opened or closed within the last 24 months.

If you got a bonus on AA Platinum, you're ineligible for a bonus on AA Gold, AA Executive, or a new AA Platinum. AA Business is considered separate.

If you got a bonus on TY Premier, you won't get one on Prestige.


They must be sick of losing that money for no reason. Not that I think there's any chance they don't make tons and tons of profit on all the cards, but they probably just decided they don't care, they're not gonna take the loss on the few customers that it applies to.

Honestly, this won't affect 99.9% of all people... I'm not terribly happy about it but it's only going to continue happening I think.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Old rules: You won't get a bonus on X if you had X opened or closed within the last 24 months.
New rules: You won't get a bonus on X, Y, or Z if you had any one of X, Y, or Z opened or closed within the last 24 months.

If you got a bonus on AA Platinum, you're ineligible for a bonus on AA Gold, AA Executive, or a new AA Platinum. AA Business is considered separate.

If you got a bonus on TY Premier, you won't get one on Prestige.


They must be sick of losing that money for no reason. Not that I think there's any chance they don't make tons and tons of profit on all the cards, but they probably just decided they don't care, they're not gonna take the loss on the few customers that it applies to.

Honestly, this won't affect 99.9% of all people... I'm not terribly happy about it but it's only going to continue happening I think.

I don't think it should affect me. The only big-bonus Citi card I was contemplating was Hilton Reserve, anyway. I had vague ideas about AA Executive to replace Prestige...but it wasn't high on my list.

I remember when other people would get 3 AA cards (all with bonuses) in one spree.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby Nixon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:00 am

Hate it.

Just as well though since AAvailability is in the toilet right now anyway.
Image

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby kdm31091 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:52 pm

It's pretty unsurprising. I think the next bank to drop the axe will be BOA, as they're really the only big bank left with no definite anti-churn policy.

That said, Citi's rule is still not as bad as Chase's 5/24. Chase locks you out of getting the card whatsoever, not just the bonus. At least genuinely interested applicants can still get a Citi card, just not the bonus. So not as exciting, but if you truly just want the card, you can still get it. Not so with Chase. Locked out of bonus AND card.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby Nixon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:32 pm

kdm31091 wrote:It's pretty unsurprising. I think the next bank to drop the axe will be BOA, as they're really the only big bank left with no definite anti-churn policy.

That said, Citi's rule is still not as bad as Chase's 5/24. Chase locks you out of getting the card whatsoever, not just the bonus. At least genuinely interested applicants can still get a Citi card, just not the bonus. So not as exciting, but if you truly just want the card, you can still get it. Not so with Chase. Locked out of bonus AND card.

BoA hasn't the partners to want to or frankly need to shut people out like that. Guess again.

And there are ways around 5/24 as has been proven.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Didn't Cap1 introduce some limit to the number of Ventures (or Venture bonuses) a person could get?

I can see the BofA Alaska Airlines card becoming very popular, assuming the card/program fares well in the Virgin America deal. That might become a churning target.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:07 am

Capital One will only approve one card every 6 months now. Not just Venture but any product.

Agree that BOA doesn't have the scope of cards to churn, and that may be why they have no policy, but there are people who sign up for many of the same card at once and my guess is that kind of thing will be curtailed if nothing else.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby Nixon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:41 am

kdm31091 wrote:Capital One will only approve one card every 6 months now. Not just Venture but any product.

Agree that BOA doesn't have the scope of cards to churn, and that may be why they have no policy, but there are people who sign up for many of the same card at once and my guess is that kind of thing will be curtailed if nothing else.

They kibosh multiple BBR PC..
Image

JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Re: Citi limiting bonuses by card family

Postby JonE » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Nixon wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:Capital One will only approve one card every 6 months now. Not just Venture but any product.

Agree that BOA doesn't have the scope of cards to churn, and that may be why they have no policy, but there are people who sign up for many of the same card at once and my guess is that kind of thing will be curtailed if nothing else.

They kibosh multiple BBR PC..


Exactly my thoughts. All the MF people applying for multiple BBR cards to get multiple cash back bonuses would be S.O.L.
Current Cards: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Future: TBD



Return to “Rewards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests