In Love, but Some Questions

All about maximizing your rewards!
Members share tips and tricks for getting the most miles, & points.
5 posts
nowipaco
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: MI

In Love, but Some Questions

Postby nowipaco » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:04 pm

So for the last year I had planned to app for the Ritz when I graduated and had a job with travel opportunities lined up. Fast forward to now being married and trying to travel more for leisure without even having a travel job lined up. I have a SPG with about 30k Starwood points thanks to spend plus the spend bonus, and I decided to just take the leap and go for the Ritz. I had planned that they would decline me initially and then I would call recon and have them just move limits over from CSP and Freedom to close those. Then I got approved in less than 2 seconds for another 5k limit. I immediately call up and start the process to move some limits but have to wait 90 days of no activity to officially move the rest without the bank taking a HP.

Despite all of that, I just have to say that I have been blown away from the Ritz Carlton Card so far. The packaging was first class. The card itself is a work of art. It easy doubles or maybe triples the weight of my CSP. I already have trip in January lined up that will easily cancel out the AF. The complimentary Lounge Club membership came as a surprise in the mail as well. The JP Morgan CSRs are top notch. Can't wait to use my two free nights.

QUESTIONS
A couple of questions for those of you with experience. I learned from a CSR that the $300 airline credit is each calendar year. So if I can take advantage of it before the end of the year I can have $300 credited, and then I can also use the $300 credit on my trip in January as well. Does anyone know if I can buy Delta gift cards and have it reimbursed?

Next question: I was surprised to find out that my AF was charged to my account before I had even received the card. Its fine with me, I've already paid it off, but is this normal for cards with no waived AF the first year?

AmEx ED: $4500 (02/15)
AmEx PRG: NPSL (02/15)
AmEx SPG: $2000 (06/15)
Capital One QS: $3250 (02/13)
Marriott: $5000 (01/16)
Ritz Carlton: $13,500 (09/15)
TCL: $34,750 (Some not shown above)

22 y/o student


Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: In Love, but Some Questions

Postby Vermonster » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:19 pm

nowipaco wrote:Next question: I was surprised to find out that my AF was charged to my account before I had even received the card. Its fine with me, I've already paid it off, but is this normal for cards with no waived AF the first year?


This is pretty common. My CSP and BCP both had their AFs on the account before I received the card. It is generally charged the same day the account is opened.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Re: In Love, but Some Questions

Postby takeshi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:45 am

nowipaco wrote:A couple of questions for those of you with experience. I learned from a CSR that the $300 airline credit is each calendar year. So if I can take advantage of it before the end of the year I can have $300 credited, and then I can also use the $300 credit on my trip in January as well. Does anyone know if I can buy Delta gift cards and have it reimbursed?

I'd suggest taking a look at the RC wiki on FlyerTalk.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: In Love, but Some Questions

Postby Tubpbs » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:01 pm

takeshi wrote:
nowipaco wrote:A couple of questions for those of you with experience. I learned from a CSR that the $300 airline credit is each calendar year. So if I can take advantage of it before the end of the year I can have $300 credited, and then I can also use the $300 credit on my trip in January as well. Does anyone know if I can buy Delta gift cards and have it reimbursed?

I'd suggest taking a look at the RC wiki on FlyerTalk.


Can you post a link to that?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

samhradh
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: United States

Re: In Love, but Some Questions

Postby samhradh » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 am

Citi Forward ($10.1K), AmEx Blue Cash Everyday ($30K), Chase Freedom ($12.4K), Discover it ($5.5K), Barclaycard Arrival ($12.5K), L.L. Bean Visa ($5K). FICO 806 (TU), 812 (EQ), 806 (EX).



Return to “Rewards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests