5% categories

All about maximizing your rewards!
Members share tips and tricks for getting the most miles, & points.
33 posts
augiedog
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Broward County FL

Re: 5% categories

Postby augiedog » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:54 pm

I won't be using my Chase Freedom since I don't shop on Zappos or use Audible at all, and Discover already has the Amazon category covered (which I don't use much). The only time I used it was for the grocery category in the beginning of the year (which I maxed out). I never got to use the gas bonus on Chase because Publix sells $50 gas cards for $40 once a month, and gas prices are low enough that I would spend at most $300 on gas this quarter (Amex offers also has great savings on gas too that I use). Discover's gas bonus was slightly useful since I was driving a lot that quarter.
American Express: Blue Cash Everyday (10k), Everyday, ; Discover It (7.3k) ; Target (2.1k)

Citi: Diamond (2k) ; Bank of America: Cash Rewards (2.6k) ; Capital One: Quicksilver (3k) , Sony ; Chase: Freedom (3.7k), Slate (3k), (Amazon) ; Barclay Ring ; Synchrony: Walmart MC, Amazon, Ebates


kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: 5% categories

Postby kdm31091 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:51 pm

Freedom's categories for Q4 this year are a complete joke -- amazon, zappos, audible and diapers.com. No brick and mortar stores. Other than amazon, very niche categories.

Discover's did get a bit tighter this year -- no more "online shopping", just Amazon. Still, they have generic clothing and department stores, too. So much wider range than Freedom!

As far as 5% categories getting nerfed over time: it's par for the course. 5% is simply hard for an issuer to sustain on "exciting" categories. So over time, typically the categories become tighter. Just how it goes.

geoforce
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:41 am

Re: 5% categories

Postby geoforce » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:47 am

I guess I have to disagree somewhat. I'm thrilled for back to back Amazon categories and utilizing the Discover Double Cashback. Using gift cards wisely you can really do some damage. Want 10% when you go out to eat? You've got options galore. Want 10% at the movies? Covered. Want to get 10% for a new video game? Get a gamestop card. It requires a bit of legwork and somewhat limits your decisions on things (not EVERY restaurant has a GC) but the options are pretty plentiful and you can really rack up rewards this way.

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: 5% categories

Postby kdm31091 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:02 pm

geoforce wrote:I guess I have to disagree somewhat. I'm thrilled for back to back Amazon categories and utilizing the Discover Double Cashback. Using gift cards wisely you can really do some damage. Want 10% when you go out to eat? You've got options galore. Want 10% at the movies? Covered. Want to get 10% for a new video game? Get a gamestop card. It requires a bit of legwork and somewhat limits your decisions on things (not EVERY restaurant has a GC) but the options are pretty plentiful and you can really rack up rewards this way.


Think you kind of misunderstood my post. My point was that except for Amazon, the Freedom Q4 categories are pretty niche.

Discover at least has amazon plus fairly broad clothing and department stores. I am a Discover fan. Freedom is far behind IMO (standalone, not with CSP).

Amazon is useful for many. Zappos, audible, and diapers are decidedly not useful for "many", and more like "useful for some".

beef.stu
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:03 am
Location: Bay Area

Re: 5% categories

Postby beef.stu » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:59 am

I would say that the only real loss this year is the discover "online shopping" category. I have kinda stopped using my Freedom and Discover cards since I got my citi DC and amazon duty is covered by my sallie mae wmc.

However my freedom did come in handy for my camera purchase last week which was more than the sallie mae cap for bookstores. Nearly used up the entire category cap in one go, so I am thankfull that these cards are still offering amazon as a category at the very least
(01/10) - Wells Fargo VISA Platinum
(05/10) - Techron Advantage
(10/12) - Amex BCE
(02/13) - Chase Freedom VISA
(09/13) - Discover It
(03/14) - Sallie Mae WMC
(09/15) - Citi Double Cash WEMC
(09/16) - US Bank Cash+ VISA Signature
(01/17) - Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature

charged
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: 5% categories

Postby charged » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:44 pm

I didn't find most of those categories appealing. Groceries was the only one that was truly valuable. Restaurants are acceptable. Everything else was junk I don't spend money on anyway though. Even 5% off on gas isn't needed because the stations I go to have cash discounts which amount to like 10% off. That's why I went with quicksilver.

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: 5% categories

Postby kdm31091 » Sun May 01, 2016 6:53 pm

charged wrote:I didn't find most of those categories appealing. Groceries was the only one that was truly valuable. Restaurants are acceptable. Everything else was junk I don't spend money on anyway though. Even 5% off on gas isn't needed because the stations I go to have cash discounts which amount to like 10% off. That's why I went with quicksilver.


I agree. The only Discover categories I really find myself getting use out of are when they do restaurants, and sometimes home improvement. People get really excited about amazon, but I just don't buy much on there regularly, and can always just opt for "bookstores" on my cash+ so really not a big excitement to me.

I am curious to see if Discover will move away from the category model altogether, since Chase came out with Freedom Unlimited. While Chase has not killed the old Freedom in the process, I'd think it may not be too far off that they decide to do so. Consumers seem to prefer the flat cash back vs dealing with categories, as most of them pay zero attention to the categories and thus don't "maximize" them.

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: 5% categories

Postby Vattené » Sun May 01, 2016 7:30 pm

I think it's interesting that Discover released the Discover it Miles, which is basically just a Freedom Unlimited or Quicksilver, but marketed as a travel card. Other than the WiFi credit and "miles" being in the name, there's really no reason to consider it a travel card. I don't understand why they would market it as a travel card, but they basically already have a card in direct competition with the Freedom Unlimited. It also seems like they haven't advertised the card that heavily, at least to me; I've certainly seen more advertisements for the standard it than the Miles.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 827 (4/17) | TU - 812 (4/17)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: 5% categories

Postby kdm31091 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Vattené wrote:I think it's interesting that Discover released the Discover it Miles, which is basically just a Freedom Unlimited or Quicksilver, but marketed as a travel card. Other than the WiFi credit and "miles" being in the name, there's really no reason to consider it a travel card. I don't understand why they would market it as a travel card, but they basically already have a card in direct competition with the Freedom Unlimited. It also seems like they haven't advertised the card that heavily, at least to me; I've certainly seen more advertisements for the standard it than the Miles.


It's strange that Discover doesn't seem to hype up the Miles card much. At least, despite the "travel" branding, you can get full blown cash with no penalty unlike with a Venture or Arrival.

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: 5% categories

Postby To My Credit » Wed May 25, 2016 1:58 pm

Another card that offers 5% cashback on a rotating calendar is Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards. I'm considering taking it (sometime next year). Does anybody here have it?



Return to “Rewards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron