Can you change a statement closing date?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
6 posts
SuperKirby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: LAS / OKC

Can you change a statement closing date?

Postby SuperKirby » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:57 pm

I know I can change the payment due date (if the issuer allows of course), but the only reason I do that is to align my statement closing dates (which can be tricky). Can I just simply call them and ask them to change a statement close date?


RewardHop
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: USA

Postby RewardHop » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Yes. Most credit card issuers allow you to do that. I've done it for Chase and AMEX before.
[size=60]
Amex BCE: 3% grocery, 2% gas
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards MC: $25/quarter bonus
Barclaycard Rewards Visa Signature: 2% gas, groceries, utilities
Capital One Quicksilver Visa Signature: 1.5% everything
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5% rotating
Citi Forward Visa: 5% restaurants/fastfood, movie theaters, amazon.com
Discover It: 5% rotating
SallieMae MC: 5% Groceries, Gas, Amazon
US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 5% electronic stores, restaurants
Sock Drawered: Chase Sapphire, Chase Amazon[/size]

User avatar
Terry
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Terry » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:54 pm

SuperKirby wrote:I know I can change the payment due date (if the issuer allows of course), but the only reason I do that is to align my statement closing dates (which can be tricky). Can I just simply call them and ask them to change a statement close date?



I have successfully changed the statement closing date on Amex, Chase, Discover and Wells Fargo.
AMEX Green Card - NPSL [Member Since 1995]
AMEX Everyday Card ($25,000)
Chase Visa Signature ($17,000)
Citi Visa Signature ($16,000)
Discover IT ($17,500)
Sam's Club MasterCard - ($20,000)
Wells Fargo Personal Line of Credit - ($15,000)

FICO's - 803 EX, 805 EQ, 799 TU [01/2017]

SuperKirby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: LAS / OKC

Postby SuperKirby » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks.

Gosh, and here I was trying to time it perfectly so when I changed my due date, it would align my statement dates together. ::Slaps head::

flan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm
Location: chicago

Postby flan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 am

SuperKirby wrote:Thanks.

Gosh, and here I was trying to time it perfectly so when I changed my due date, it would align my statement dates together. ::Slaps head::


Note that the card act requires payment date to be the same every month. That means the date at which statements cut may vary, depending on whether a month has 30 or 31 days (or 28/9...), the lenders policy about making grace periods the same, and things like 'do we cut statements over the weekend'.

SuperKirby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: LAS / OKC

Postby SuperKirby » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 pm

flan wrote:Note that the card act requires payment date to be the same every month. That means the date at which statements cut may vary, depending on whether a month has 30 or 31 days (or 28/9...), the lenders policy about making grace periods the same, and things like 'do we cut statements over the weekend'.


I see, so what I did was probably the same thing anyway.

For example, I saw that my Chase cards due date was always on the 20th, and the statement closing date was always on the 23rd. So If I wanted my Statement date to close on the 10th, I just asked for the due date to be on the 7th. Hopefully my statements will be on or around the 10th. Doesn't have to be exact...



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests