Do folks "garden" here?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
cashback
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:11 pm
Location: NY

Postby cashback » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Make $5K+ a year in rewards......

or

"garden"....

Easy decision....
Credit Cards
Amex BCE 25K ---- PenFed Platinum Rewards 15.5K --- US Bank Cash+ 12K --- Discover IT 6K --- Citi Dividend 5K --- Chase Freedom 12.5K --- Amex SPG 6K --- Citi Thank You Preferred 15K

Not Used
Citi Simplicity - 5K, Sam's Club Discover - 10K

Future Cards
Sallie Mae World Mastercard

FICOs
Exp 772 - TU 781 - Equ 781


432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Postby 432521 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 pm

It really depends on your definition of "gardening" because for some people at myfico gardening is not applying for anything for 3-6 months and then going at it again. I currently have 4 cards and I think thats all I will ever need, once I switch my freedom from a visa to a mastercard I will have a visa,mastercard,amex, and discover and thats what I shot for when I applied for all my cards. Unless rewards for my cards start to suck compared to new cards that may come out in the future I plan on sticking with the 4 and just continuing to up my credit limits.
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday

DavidNY
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: New York

Postby DavidNY » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

I generally apply for several cards on the same day then wait so I have time to make the spending minimums for whatever bonuses there were on the cards I picked up.

User avatar
Snowman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm
Location: North Los Angeles County

Postby Snowman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:51 pm

I truly want a Freedom and BCE as my last 2 cards, and then I'm not applying for anything else for at least a year. I might cut out a card are two as well depending if I am approved or denied for either of the 2 cards that I want.
Bank Of America: BankAmeriCard Cash Rewards-4.2k
Citi: Forward-4.5k American Airlines Advantage Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard 9/6/15-4K
Discover: More-7k
Amex BCE.2k- Amex SPG-5k
Chase: Freedom-5kSouthwest Rapid Rewards Plus- 3.6k
Capital one: Venture one-10,000, Visa Signature.

hematino
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 4:08 pm
Location: Atlantic City, NJ

Postby hematino » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm not much for gardening, guess I don't have much of a green thumb. I do need to chill with the inquiries though, I range from 9 on Equifax to 17 on Experian (lol). Racked most of them up last year, but in return I got pretty much every card I wanted. Last year I accomplished in order:

Amex Blue Cash Preferred
Amex Green
US Airways World Mastercard
PenFed Cash Rewards Platinum Visa
Fidelity Amex
Chase Sapphire Preferred World Mastercard
Citi Forward Visa Signature
Citi Dividend Mastercard
DCU Platinum Rewards Visa
JCB Card
US Bank Cash + Visa Signature (started as a Cash Rewards and got PC'ed)
US Bank Cash Rewards Visa (#2)
Walmart Discover
TD Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature
Target REDcard
Kohl's Charge Card

Plus converted my Chase Slate to a Freedom, and got CLI's from Discover, Amex, US Bank, and Citi. On the flip side, I had my US Airways card closed by Barclays from all my new accounts/inquiries, but having the bonus miles the card had already served its purpose.

I applied for a couple other cards but started getting denied for too many inqs. Thats my cue to let them age 6 months before applying for anything new or asking Chase to CLI my Freedom or SP. My utilization sits around 4%. The last thing I got was approved for the Rewards Barclaycard this February (shocking after they AA'ed me in November), and I only applied for that for the 15 month 0% APR to make a large purchase with that I cannot pay immediately off. Froze TransUnion afterwards to make sure if I try for a CLI from someone it doesnt screw me with Barclays again.

The banks get all pissy sometimes from all the inquiries but truth be told, it hasn't really dropped my FICO scores that much, my TU is still 714 and my EX is 701. Havent had EQ pulled in a while so I don't know that one. The fact that my scores are still a notch above 700 shocks me with all the abuse I've been dishing out to them.

I'm impulsive and impatient, and gardening is not for someone like me. Gonna have to suck it up for a while though till these inquiries age. My goal this year is to break 10K on at least one of my limits (highest are 7500 and 8000 from TD Bank and US Bank respectively), and also to boost some of the limits on a few anemic cards.
Now she's eyeless.
The snakes she held once
Eat up her hands.

FutureBillionaire
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Down South

Postby FutureBillionaire » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:22 pm

DavidNY wrote:I generally apply for several cards on the same day then wait so I have time to make the spending minimums for whatever bonuses there were on the cards I picked up.


That's what I do too.
Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape

VisaSpeak
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: NJ

Postby VisaSpeak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 am

What does the term mean?

Sevenfeet
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby Sevenfeet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 am

hematino wrote:I'm not much for gardening, guess I don't have much of a green thumb. I do need to chill with the inquiries though, I range from 9 on Equifax to 17 on Experian (lol). Racked most of them up last year, but in return I got pretty much every card I wanted. Last year I accomplished in order:

Amex Blue Cash Preferred
Amex Green
US Airways World Mastercard
PenFed Cash Rewards Platinum Visa
Fidelity Amex
Chase Sapphire Preferred World Mastercard
Citi Forward Visa Signature
Citi Dividend Mastercard
DCU Platinum Rewards Visa
JCB Card
US Bank Cash + Visa Signature (started as a Cash Rewards and got PC'ed)
US Bank Cash Rewards Visa (#2)
Walmart Discover
TD Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature
Target REDcard
Kohl's Charge Card

Plus converted my Chase Slate to a Freedom, and got CLI's from Discover, Amex, US Bank, and Citi. On the flip side, I had my US Airways card closed by Barclays from all my new accounts/inquiries, but having the bonus miles the card had already served its purpose.

I applied for a couple other cards but started getting denied for too many inqs. Thats my cue to let them age 6 months before applying for anything new or asking Chase to CLI my Freedom or SP. My utilization sits around 4%. The last thing I got was approved for the Rewards Barclaycard this February (shocking after they AA'ed me in November), and I only applied for that for the 15 month 0% APR to make a large purchase with that I cannot pay immediately off. Froze TransUnion afterwards to make sure if I try for a CLI from someone it doesnt screw me with Barclays again.

The banks get all pissy sometimes from all the inquiries but truth be told, it hasn't really dropped my FICO scores that much, my TU is still 714 and my EX is 701. Havent had EQ pulled in a while so I don't know that one. The fact that my scores are still a notch above 700 shocks me with all the abuse I've been dishing out to them.

I'm impulsive and impatient, and gardening is not for someone like me. Gonna have to suck it up for a while though till these inquiries age. My goal this year is to break 10K on at least one of my limits (highest are 7500 and 8000 from TD Bank and US Bank respectively), and also to boost some of the limits on a few anemic cards.


Wow, that's quite a wallet with 16 cards (TWO US Bank cards???). I thought I had gotten a bit silly at 8. You can tell when someone's trying to round out the pack when you see a JCB card in the mix (and they don't live on the west coast and I cannot tell if you're Japanese or not :) ). I think you'd probably would have a Diners Club if they still offered personal cards. :) :) :)

You're story is still an interesting one since there seems to be a floor as to how much an app spree will damage your credit scores as long as everything else is ok (no baddies, utilization ok).
Cards:
American Express Platinum (NPSL)
Penfed Platinum Reward Visa ($28K)
Chase Freedom Visa ($25K)
Fidelity American Express ($20K)
American Express Blue Cash Preferred ($20K)
Bank of America Cash Rewards MasterCard ($20K)
Citi Thank You Preferred Visa ($9.5K)
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K)
US Bank Cash + Visa Signature ($7K)
Discover IT ($4K)

DavidNY
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: New York

Postby DavidNY » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 am

Sevenfeet wrote:You can tell when someone's trying to round out the pack when you see a JCB card in the mix (and they don't live on the west coast and I cannot tell if you're Japanese or not :) ). I think you'd probably would have a Diners Club if they still offered personal cards. :) :) :)

You're story is still an interesting one since there seems to be a floor as to how much an app spree will damage your credit scores as long as everything else is ok (no baddies, utilization ok).


I would get this JCB card since they offer 3%+ cash back on it, but it's only for those on the west coast.

My recent mini app spree took my credit score down about twenty points (from about 760 to 740) but as long as that number is 720 or higher there's no issue.

randeman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:11 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby randeman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:22 am

VisaSpeak wrote:What does the term mean?


It means to get a card and then use it over a period of time that you choose to build a history. Use it, pay it, use it, pay it...nurture that baby until it's big and strong. Like a plant. While this is going on you are "growing" your credit history and, hopefully, getting CLIs at the same time. Thus, "gardening."
Cards and Credit lines Acquired:

Escape by Discover (7.75K), Barclay Holland America Visa (7K), Macy's store card (7K), Bloomingdale's store card (2.6K), Citi Custom Credit Line (3.5K), PayPal Smart Connect credit line (2.7K), Chase Freedom Visa (5K), Chase United MileagePlus Visa (5K), Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (6K), Amazon store card (2.2K), Lord & Taylor store card (550), Nordstrom store card (1500), Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express (3K), Discover It (6.5K), PayPal Credit Line (1K).



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests