Does anyone proactively request CLI on inactive cards?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
9 posts
lennyj17
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Does anyone proactively request CLI on inactive cards?

Postby lennyj17 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:12 pm

I was wondering am I unique in the fact at certain times of the year, usually March and September.... I will request CLI on my "dormant" cards (both majors and store only cards)... To give me more cushion in my ratios. Other than that I have no need for CLI on these cards they all have 0 balances and just sit home.

The only cards I don't request CLI on are my 2 Chase Cards because Chase does Hard Pulls on CLI requests...But they will do soft pulls on Auto CLI...amazing how that works..

Anyway does anyone else do this just for the sole purpose of better cushion in your utilization ratio.


fantasy86dj
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm
ICQ: 387113
WLM: katoomba@live.co.uk
Yahoo Messenger: mettymeta242
Location: Australia

Postby fantasy86dj » Wed May 23, 2012 4:35 am

lennyj17 wrote:I was wondering am I unique in the fact at certain times of the year, usually March and September.... I will request CLI on my "dormant" cards (both majors and store only cards)... To give me more cushion in my ratios. Other than that I have no need for CLI on these cards they all have 0 balances and just sit home.

The only cards I don't request CLI on are my 2 Chase Cards because Chase does Hard Pulls on CLI requests...But they will do soft pulls on Auto CLI...amazing how that works..

Anyway does anyone else do this just for the sole purpose of better cushion in your utilization ratio.


Every 6 months - April 22 and October 22 without fail I am on the phone to both my credit card holders to get limit increases

lennyj17
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby lennyj17 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:18 pm

fantasy86dj wrote:Every 6 months - April 22 and October 22 without fail I am on the phone to both my credit card holders to get limit increases


But are those dormant cards you don't use or they active....I totally expect people to seek CLI on active cards....but on their dormant accounts is where my question lies.

Crashem
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby Crashem » Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Sure. Do some research on hard vs soft first. Done it before. Sometimes I have recon and said I don't use because limit so low and that worked.
Amex Centurion, Amex Platinum, Amex BCP 8k->24k (5/23/12), Amex TE 15k, Cap One 1.5% 15k->20k (8/7/13), CSP 25k, Chase Palladium 100k, Citibank AA 35k (AU), Firestone 1.8k->2.2k->2.4k (8/20/12), JFCU Jloc 30k, PenFed Plat Rewards 30k, SF Fire 30k, US Bank Cash+ 25k

2percentPlus
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: North America

Postby 2percentPlus » Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 pm

I couldn't imagine asking for a CLI on a dormant card, why would they want to do that? What if instead they said well you haven't needed that much credit and they lower it.

fantasy86dj
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm
ICQ: 387113
WLM: katoomba@live.co.uk
Yahoo Messenger: mettymeta242
Location: Australia

Postby fantasy86dj » Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 pm

lennyj17 wrote:But are those dormant cards you don't use or they active....I totally expect people to seek CLI on active cards....but on their dormant accounts is where my question lies.


My Diamond I charge 99% of transactions my Visa I might charge a packet of chewing gum a month through.

lennyj17
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby lennyj17 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Crashem wrote:Sure. Do some research on hard vs soft first. Done it before. Sometimes I have recon and said I don't use because limit so low and that worked.


I think you missed the point of my OP......I know which of my cards do Hard vs Soft Pulls....That's why I said I don't seek CLI on my Chase cards.

Again I'm simply asking does anyone seek CLI on cards they don't use and really have no intentions to use simply to keep their Credit to Debt ratio nice and low....

lennyj17
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby lennyj17 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:20 pm

2percentPlus wrote:I couldn't imagine asking for a CLI on a dormant card, why would they want to do that? .


Like I stated it help big time with Credit to Debt ratio......you're keeping it open for a reason (most likely because of the history tied to it) so might as well make it work for you....

For instance I have a BofA Visa, one of my very first CC...a lot of my history is tied to the account, so I keep it open even though I haven't used the card in 5 years. But I continuously request CLI every year on it to keep my C2D ratio low...

Crashem
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby Crashem » Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 am

I got your point which is why I said yes i do that. Btw if you don't use, you might want to check your cr to see if they are even reporting. After a certain time of no reporting (have to check to see monthly reporting and not just that iT is on your cr), fico scoring will ignore the trade line.
Amex Centurion, Amex Platinum, Amex BCP 8k->24k (5/23/12), Amex TE 15k, Cap One 1.5% 15k->20k (8/7/13), CSP 25k, Chase Palladium 100k, Citibank AA 35k (AU), Firestone 1.8k->2.2k->2.4k (8/20/12), JFCU Jloc 30k, PenFed Plat Rewards 30k, SF Fire 30k, US Bank Cash+ 25k



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest