I haven't had much luck in getting a credit card; 2 applications rejected. I'll make this post in chronological order so you can see the process I went through.
- Got my Transunion score from creditkarma.com: 695
- Got my Transunion credit report: no bad marks.
- Applied for Amex Blue cash card, got instantly rejected. They told me my Experian score is 652.
- Got my Experian credit report: one 30-day late payment on a student loan that's closed out.
- Applied for Citi Forward card, got rejected after a review of my report (not instantly). They told me my Equifax score is 605.
- Got my Equifax credit report: same 30-day late payment, no other bad marks.
- Tried sending a goodwill letter to my college to have the bad payment removed, but no luck.
- Should I try disputing the late payment with the credit bureaus, saying my payment wasn't late? I'm hoping they either won't care enough to investigate and just delete the record or will be unable to verify the late payment.
- I have an application letter sitting here for a pre-approved Chase Freedom card. Should I apply for that one since they already pre-approved me? Also, the letter says $150 cash back for signing, though I've seen $200 offers online. Will I have a better chance of being accepted for the Freedom card if I go through the "pre-approved" letter they sent me, or can I apply through a $200 offer and have the same chance of being approved?