I am the credit card king!

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
61 posts
agp
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm
Location: US&A

Postby agp » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:42 pm

I read some of the articles on your website, and they're quite interesting. But in what way is having 16 credit cards considered "simplified"?

Main Card: Amex Platinum
For gas: Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards
For travel & dining: Chase Sapphire Preferred


User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 pm

LOL! 16 credit cards IMO is not being simple. Simple is just having one card. I'd love to be in that position BUT as Amex is not widely accepted (here in Canada), I am forced to carry Visa as well/
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

DavidNY
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: New York

Postby DavidNY » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:....as Amex is not widely accepted (here in Canada), I am forced to carry Visa as well/


There are plenty of places Amex isn't accepted in America and lots of other places too. Visa/MC is the way to go.

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 pm

I realized back in the day AMEX was not widely accepted due to the high rates they charge the merchants versus Visa or Mastercard but correct me if I am wrong, have they not lowered their merchants rates?

Also I may be biased but I feel Amex has really good customer service and if you ever have an issue with charges they are very good at resolving them in a timely manner.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

DavidNY
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: New York

Postby DavidNY » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:40 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:I realized back in the day AMEX was not widely accepted due to the high rates they charge the merchants versus Visa or Mastercard but correct me if I am wrong, have they not lowered their merchants rates?

Also I may be biased but I feel Amex has really good customer service and if you ever have an issue with charges they are very good at resolving them in a timely manner.


I have dealt with Amex in the past and they did have wonderful service when something went wrong though I find my Visa Signature (the US version of Visa Infinite) offers equivalent service in most cases.

For replacement cards in major cities there is no equal to Amex (they have card printers on-site in their travel offices), and I believe an Amex cardmember can have their mail forwarded to an Amex office for pickup if needed, but aside from that I prefer not having to wonder if my card will be accepted and prefer the better cash-back rewards that other banks offer.

If you're traveling by air a lot then an Amex Platinum or Centurion makes sense, they offer unmatched benefits such as airport lounge access and lost luggage replacement, but for most everything else I find my Visa Signature on par with Amex and I don't miss the annual fee.

Amex didn't reduce their merchant charges, Visa increased theirs. There's actually a complicated system to calculate the fee based on the card level and merchant category. Visa has a detailed chart on their website. A Visa Signature has roughly the same merchant fee as an Amex.

JCarter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Virginia

Postby JCarter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 pm

DavidNY wrote:Amex didn't reduce their merchant charges, Visa increased theirs. There's actually a complicated system to calculate the fee based on the card level and merchant category. Visa has a detailed chart on their website. A Visa Signature has roughly the same merchant fee as an Amex.


Can you link that chart?

Signature is actually one tier below Infinite. There are rumors of Visa launching Signature Plus in Q4 this year, which will have similar benefits to Infinite and MC World Elite.

Crashem
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby Crashem » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 am

JCarter wrote:Actually, they started with a new designed Elise which came out in the early 2000's and was imported to US marketed dealers. They have had a direct US network of dealers since then.


Having fun with the Tesla though. Feels like big Lotus. Way better acceleration but a little worse handling. Problem is no garage at house with right electrical and have to drive/walk 5 blocks to get it.
Amex Centurion, Amex Platinum, Amex BCP 8k->24k (5/23/12), Amex TE 15k, Cap One 1.5% 15k->20k (8/7/13), CSP 25k, Chase Palladium 100k, Citibank AA 35k (AU), Firestone 1.8k->2.2k->2.4k (8/20/12), JFCU Jloc 30k, PenFed Plat Rewards 30k, SF Fire 30k, US Bank Cash+ 25k

Moneytalks
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: United States

Postby Moneytalks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Soooo, after all that, I guess Jcarter is the credit card king??? haha
Wallet: Amex BCE & Chase Freedom. (Credit Card dieting since 2014)

DavidNY
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: New York

Postby DavidNY » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 pm

JCarter wrote:Can you link that chart?

Signature is actually one tier below Infinite. There are rumors of Visa launching Signature Plus in Q4 this year, which will have similar benefits to Infinite and MC World Elite.


Here's the link: http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/visa-usa-interchange-reimbursement-fees-april2012.pdf

The chart makes reference to a Signature Preferred level, apparently meant for those spending >$50k annually on their card. Not sure what the difference in perks may be between Signature, Signature Preferred and Infinite.

JCarter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Virginia

Postby JCarter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 am

Crashem wrote:Having fun with the Tesla though. Feels like big Lotus. Way better acceleration but a little worse handling. Problem is no garage at house with right electrical and have to drive/walk 5 blocks to get it.


Interesting, where do you park the vehicle?



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests