Capital One foreign transaction fee changes

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
11 posts
bonoz
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:42 am
Location: USA

Capital One foreign transaction fee changes

Postby bonoz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 am

Hello - new here,

I currently live in the USA, but I am moving to the UK in a few months. I want to have a credit card I can use with ease of mind knowing that I will have no fees or anything. What credit card would offer me that? Capital One? If so, which Capital One card should I go for? I have a generally good to excellent credit health.

Are there any other options that I should be looking at?

Thanks!


bonoz
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:42 am
Location: USA

Postby bonoz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 pm

That's a bad thread title. I meant to say: "Capital One No Transaction Fee Card"

Capital
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Postby Capital » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Bonoz: I recently enjoyed some business travel to Canada (I live in the U.S.) and used my CapitalOne Platinum card for every purchase because they charge no foreign transaction fees. Plus mastercard is accepted worldwide. I use this card when I travel to Europe as well. They give you the going rate which generally = EXCHANGE RATE + 1% INTERCHANGE FEE (MC/VISA).

bonoz
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:42 am
Location: USA

Postby bonoz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for responding. That 1%, is that something separate you see on your statement? or is it just part of the exchange rate?

Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:49 pm

I have the Capital one Gold card I get 1.25 miles and I get a concierge with this card. You ever notice when standing on line at Champs , Macys Bed bath and beyond ect you never see anybody using a capitol one card, they all use chase , Bank of america etc
the capitol one is a sales persons card usually you see somebody using it at restaurants hotels any form of a business account.
theres no annual fee on this card to me the gold card is great.

bonoz
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:42 am
Location: USA

Postby bonoz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:30 am

Does anyone know of any other cards or options which would be better for international use?

Thanks

luvbullmarkets
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am
Location: TPC Stonebrae

Postby luvbullmarkets » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:00 am

Money card wrote:I have the Capital one Gold card I get 1.25 miles and I get a concierge with this card. You ever notice when standing on line at Champs , Macys Bed bath and beyond ect you never see anybody using a capitol one card, they all use chase , Bank of america etc
the capitol one is a sales persons card usually you see somebody using it at restaurants hotels any form of a business account.
theres no annual fee on this card to me the gold card is great.


Are you speaking of the Capital One VentureOne Rewards Card?
Amex EveryDay, Amex BCE , Barclaycard Arrival+ WEMC, CSP Visa Signature, Discover it, Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex

"Attack this day with a level of enthusiasm unknown to mankind." - Jack Harbaugh

User avatar
Mogul of Pineapples
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Smogland

Postby Mogul of Pineapples » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 pm

the capitol one is a sales persons card


A salesperson's card? As in, a high end card? If you ask most people I bet they would say Capital One has a very different stereotype that that: a card for lower end credit scores. Though over the past few years they have been trying to veer away from that stigma and also improve customer service. But going back to the original question, there have been no recent Capital One foreign transaction fee changes that I am aware of.
Disclosure: I am a moderator/paid staff of this site, which does have advertising relationships with some credit cards that are discussed and linked to. Regardless, anything I say is my honest opinion.

Current Cards:
American Express: Blue Cash, Simply Cash Bank of America: WorldPoints Platinum Plus Chase: Amazon, British Airways, Cash Plus Rewards, Freedom, Ink Cash Citi: Thank You Premier, Dividend Platinum Select Discover: More
Primary Everyday Card: American Express Blue Cash
Primary Travel Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred

Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:14 pm

luvbullmarkets wrote:Are you speaking of the Capital One VentureOne Rewards Card?


Yes it is.

Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Mogul of Pineapples wrote:A salesperson's card? As in, a high end card? If you ask most people I bet they would say Capital One has a very different stereotype that that: a card for lower end credit scores. Though over the past few years they have been trying to veer away from that stigma and also improve customer service. But going back to the original question, there have been no recent Capital One foreign transaction fee changes that I am aware of.


I believe my capitol 1 venture gold card is used as often as the chase Sapphire. both cards are used for business . expense accounts.
you don't really see people using either card capitol 1 or chase at the gap, old navy, Jc penny or Brooks brothers.
But if your standing in line to check into a hotel you will see these cards being used capitol 1 and chase sapphire are designed for business travelers.



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests