May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
32 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4439
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:15 pm

BofA is supposedly closing BBR to new apps and PCs soon.

No apps imminent for me.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card


User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Vattené » Thu May 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. I'll ride it out like I did with Sallie Mae. I can't get too upset if and when they shut it down completely. I put so little through the card but I am earning more in rewards than I spend.

I'm thinking I may not have a good use for MR and just go to all cash back. Supposedly if we make our international trip we will be able to pay a foreign friend to get tickets much cheaper than they can be purchased from the US. I knew going into my ED that I may not be able to get a great value from it, and if this saves that much money it will definitely be worth it, but it's probably time I accept that a boring, reliable cash back strategy is best for me. If my wife gets a Discover it Miles it will be 3% for a year and 1.5% after. I'm thinking I may just be better off putting all spending through something like that (I'll keep the it for 5% since I already have it and the BBR for as long as I can).
-Vattené
FICO-8: EX - 827 (5/17) | TU - 824 (5/17)
My Cards: Barclay Arrival+ | Discover it | Amex ED
AU:: Discover Miles | BofA BBR | Barclay Commence (SD'd)

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Tubpbs » Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 pm

No apps planned for May. I do have some planned for July and intend to prep my profile and balances etc starting now so when I apply everything is in the best possible condition.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Tubpbs » Thu May 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Vattené wrote:Can't say I'm surprised. I'll ride it out like I did with Sallie Mae. I can't get too upset if and when they shut it down completely. I put so little through the card but I am earning more in rewards than I spend.

I'm thinking I may not have a good use for MR and just go to all cash back. Supposedly if we make our international trip we will be able to pay a foreign friend to get tickets much cheaper than they can be purchased from the US. I knew going into my ED that I may not be able to get a great value from it, and if this saves that much money it will definitely be worth it, but it's probably time I accept that a boring, reliable cash back strategy is best for me. If my wife gets a Discover it Miles it will be 3% for a year and 1.5% after. I'm thinking I may just be better off putting all spending through something like that (I'll keep the it for 5% since I already have it and the BBR for as long as I can).


What other cards do you have that aren't in your signature?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Nixon » Thu May 04, 2017 11:22 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:BofA is supposedly closing BBR to new apps and PCs soon.

No apps imminent for me.

I might refreeze EX and go for another shot at BoA (For Science)
Image

TXviking
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 pm
Location: Palm Beach, Florida

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby TXviking » Fri May 05, 2017 10:54 am

Still no plans to app for anything unless I see a lucrative miles offer from Delta or something new and shiny comes out.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Nixon » Fri May 05, 2017 2:04 pm

I know I'll probably break down and do it later if something particularly lucrative comes up, but for now I think I'm done applying for a while.

I've pretty much hit all the banks (except BoA of course) for worthwhile products/bonus offers. Anything still out there is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel or I'm ineligible for due to Chase's 5/24, Citi's 1/24, or AX 1/7.
Image

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Tubpbs » Fri May 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Nixon wrote:I know I'll probably break down and do it later if something particularly lucrative comes up, but for now I think I'm done applying for a while.

I've pretty much hit all the banks (except BoA of course) for worthwhile products/bonus offers. Anything still out there is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel or I'm ineligible for due to Chase's 5/24, Citi's 1/24, or AX 1/7.


What's this 1/24 and 1/7 business?

Also, what happened with BoA?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Nixon » Fri May 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
Nixon wrote:I know I'll probably break down and do it later if something particularly lucrative comes up, but for now I think I'm done applying for a while.

I've pretty much hit all the banks (except BoA of course) for worthwhile products/bonus offers. Anything still out there is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel or I'm ineligible for due to Chase's 5/24, Citi's 1/24, or AX 1/7.


What's this 1/24 and 1/7 business?

Also, what happened with BoA?

Citi 1/24: No bonus awarded if you've opened or closed same family product within last 24mos. (AA, TYP, etc)
AX 1/7: Once per lifetime bonus per product, a lifetime is regarded as 7yrs.
BoA: AFAIK, I'm still blacklisted over a card I defaulted on over a decade ago.
Image

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: May 2017 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Tubpbs » Fri May 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Knew about the Citi - don't care that much.

Didn't know "lifetime" was 7 years at Amex.

Not surprised BoA has an infinity memory. Scum bags.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests