Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
42 posts
aj023
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby aj023 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:51 pm

mountaindewvoltage wrote:Since I made the other thread, I wanted to start another, with a different idea and topic of course, lol.

Is it just me, or does anyone else realize how mediocre the top of Capital One's lineup looks compared to other issuers?

Their best card requires "excellent" credit, with a $59 annual fee (waived the first year). This card gets you $0 in any travel related perks that are offered by other companies like Barclays who gives 5% of your rewards back, Delta Gold AMEX which gives you a free checked bag on every Delta flight, or Chase Sapphire Preferred which gives you primary rental car insurance, trip delay reimbursement, baggage delay insurance, and 24/7 DIRECT customer service.
Let's not forget the "miles" can only be redeemed at 1 cent per mile and don't transfer to scale-able miles at airlines, for example, Jet Blue's miles are redeemed at 1000 PRG miles = 800 Jet Blue miles, but each JetBlue mile is typically work 1.4-1.8 cents each, whereas the Venture miles are only worth 1 cent each and aren't transferable to "real" airline miles.

Next is the mediocre Venture One, which also requires "excellent" credit, but only pays 1.25 "miles" per dollar, which is an even worse deal for someone who has a credit score above 700. In my opinion this is the worst rewards card for anyone with a good credit history. Again, just like with the Venture, no transferable miles to make up for the mediocre up front rewards, along with zero travel benefits.

1.5% no AF Quicksilver, which also requires "excellent" credit, but only pays 1.5% cash back with no stand out benefits. People with credit scores in the 640's can get a card just as good from another bank or credit union such as PenFed or NavyFed, yet Capital One requires "excellent" credit to qualify. Better yet, if you have "average" credit, Capital One will give you an identical card with a $39 annual fee. This Quicksilver card sucks compared to the Citi Double Cash, USAA Limitless, and even the NavyFed Cash Rewards Visa Signature because at least that card has a member mall to add to the cash back.

Thoughts?


I agree Venture One is mediocre as I used it for various point promotions so I still keep the card active. I was using Chase Sapphire no fee for dining and Barclays for Travel along with my Hilton Hhonors Amex.

However Capital One stepped up their game with the new Premier Dining Rewards. I transferred over my Unused limit from Quicksilver to my VentureOne. The new card beats my Chase for Dining rewards with 3% vs 2% , has no foreign currency fees, and even has grocery rewards at 2% as well as World Mastercard Elite status. There are no caps for rewards.

So I would argue Chase needs to step up their game as my business goes back to Capital One.

I have perfect top credit score. The rewards and perks on the premier dining rewards will save me money and I won't have to pay any fees or interest as I pay in full.


Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby Tubpbs » Mon May 29, 2017 6:02 pm

aj023 wrote:
mountaindewvoltage wrote:Since I made the other thread, I wanted to start another, with a different idea and topic of course, lol.

Is it just me, or does anyone else realize how mediocre the top of Capital One's lineup looks compared to other issuers?

Their best card requires "excellent" credit, with a $59 annual fee (waived the first year). This card gets you $0 in any travel related perks that are offered by other companies like Barclays who gives 5% of your rewards back, Delta Gold AMEX which gives you a free checked bag on every Delta flight, or Chase Sapphire Preferred which gives you primary rental car insurance, trip delay reimbursement, baggage delay insurance, and 24/7 DIRECT customer service.
Let's not forget the "miles" can only be redeemed at 1 cent per mile and don't transfer to scale-able miles at airlines, for example, Jet Blue's miles are redeemed at 1000 PRG miles = 800 Jet Blue miles, but each JetBlue mile is typically work 1.4-1.8 cents each, whereas the Venture miles are only worth 1 cent each and aren't transferable to "real" airline miles.

Next is the mediocre Venture One, which also requires "excellent" credit, but only pays 1.25 "miles" per dollar, which is an even worse deal for someone who has a credit score above 700. In my opinion this is the worst rewards card for anyone with a good credit history. Again, just like with the Venture, no transferable miles to make up for the mediocre up front rewards, along with zero travel benefits.

1.5% no AF Quicksilver, which also requires "excellent" credit, but only pays 1.5% cash back with no stand out benefits. People with credit scores in the 640's can get a card just as good from another bank or credit union such as PenFed or NavyFed, yet Capital One requires "excellent" credit to qualify. Better yet, if you have "average" credit, Capital One will give you an identical card with a $39 annual fee. This Quicksilver card sucks compared to the Citi Double Cash, USAA Limitless, and even the NavyFed Cash Rewards Visa Signature because at least that card has a member mall to add to the cash back.

Thoughts?


I agree Venture One is mediocre as I used it for various point promotions so I still keep the card active. I was using Chase Sapphire no fee for dining and Barclays for Travel along with my Hilton Hhonors Amex.

However Capital One stepped up their game with the new Premier Dining Rewards. I transferred over my Unused limit from Quicksilver to my VentureOne. The new card beats my Chase for Dining rewards with 3% vs 2% , has no foreign currency fees, and even has grocery rewards at 2% as well as World Mastercard Elite status. There are no caps for rewards.

So I would argue Chase needs to step up their game as my business goes back to Capital One.


The CSP is a travel rewards card - not a dining card. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

aj023
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby aj023 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
aj023 wrote:
mountaindewvoltage wrote:Since I made the other thread, I wanted to start another, with a different idea and topic of course, lol.

Is it just me, or does anyone else realize how mediocre the top of Capital One's lineup looks compared to other issuers?

Their best card requires "excellent" credit, with a $59 annual fee (waived the first year). This card gets you $0 in any travel related perks that are offered by other companies like Barclays who gives 5% of your rewards back, Delta Gold AMEX which gives you a free checked bag on every Delta flight, or Chase Sapphire Preferred which gives you primary rental car insurance, trip delay reimbursement, baggage delay insurance, and 24/7 DIRECT customer service.
Let's not forget the "miles" can only be redeemed at 1 cent per mile and don't transfer to scale-able miles at airlines, for example, Jet Blue's miles are redeemed at 1000 PRG miles = 800 Jet Blue miles, but each JetBlue mile is typically work 1.4-1.8 cents each, whereas the Venture miles are only worth 1 cent each and aren't transferable to "real" airline miles.

Next is the mediocre Venture One, which also requires "excellent" credit, but only pays 1.25 "miles" per dollar, which is an even worse deal for someone who has a credit score above 700. In my opinion this is the worst rewards card for anyone with a good credit history. Again, just like with the Venture, no transferable miles to make up for the mediocre up front rewards, along with zero travel benefits.

1.5% no AF Quicksilver, which also requires "excellent" credit, but only pays 1.5% cash back with no stand out benefits. People with credit scores in the 640's can get a card just as good from another bank or credit union such as PenFed or NavyFed, yet Capital One requires "excellent" credit to qualify. Better yet, if you have "average" credit, Capital One will give you an identical card with a $39 annual fee. This Quicksilver card sucks compared to the Citi Double Cash, USAA Limitless, and even the NavyFed Cash Rewards Visa Signature because at least that card has a member mall to add to the cash back.

Thoughts?


I agree Venture One is mediocre as I used it for various point promotions so I still keep the card active. I was using Chase Sapphire no fee for dining and Barclays for Travel along with my Hilton Hhonors Amex.

However Capital One stepped up their game with the new Premier Dining Rewards. I transferred over my Unused limit from Quicksilver to my VentureOne. The new card beats my Chase for Dining rewards with 3% vs 2% , has no foreign currency fees, and even has grocery rewards at 2% as well as World Mastercard Elite status. There are no caps for rewards.

So I would argue Chase needs to step up their game as my business goes back to Capital One.


The CSP is a travel rewards card - not a dining card. You're comparing apples to oranges.


I had the regular no fee Chase Sapphire. It had travel and dining rewards. I used it for dining rewards while I used my Barclays Arrival for travel rewards.

At one point Citibank Forward card was issued with greater rewards for dining, I think 3% as well but I refused to use Citibank and they ended the card. Marvel card offered 3% on a Synchrony issued card who I also did not want to do business with. Capital One then comes out with the dining rewards card and apparently it wasn't out too long and I decide to go with them since it meets my criteria of a high end card like Sapphire without an annual fee and has improved rewards and perks. The only downside is the Travel points but I was using Barclays arrival for that. I am not closing out the Chase Sapphire and will use it once a year to keep it active till I decide if I should keep it.

Capital One is highly rated by JD Power and I have done business with them for a long time. Synchrony and Citibank are abysmal to deal with and are amongst the worst. Barclays, Capital One and Chase and Amex have all been very good to me over the years.

Capital One indeed makes sense if you want to buy a GM car and get good rewards or want a dining and grocery card without caps which is a nice offering. i know better grocery exists in rewards but with caps and annual fees.

Quicksilver isn't as competitive as the Barclays CashForward and that level has more competition for card

In dining cards, Capital One offers the most.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby Tubpbs » Mon May 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Have you looked at Chase AARP?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

aj023
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby aj023 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Tubpbs wrote:Have you looked at Chase AARP?


I am not old enough for an AARP card. Even if I could qualify for it, the Capital One has everything I want. I would rather 2% on groceries as well as the no forex, world mastercard elite status. Capital One fits my need perfectly. I have Chase Visa Signature card already with the Sapphire.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby Tubpbs » Mon May 29, 2017 9:19 pm

aj023 wrote:
Tubpbs wrote:Have you looked at Chase AARP?


I am not old enough for an AARP card. Even if I could qualify for it, the Capital One has everything I want. I would rather 2% on groceries as well as the no forex, world mastercard elite status. Capital One fits my need perfectly. I have Chase Visa Signature card already with the Sapphire.


There is no age restriction on the card. Which benefits of WEMC do you use?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4495
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:39 am

Tubpbs wrote:
aj023 wrote:
Tubpbs wrote:Have you looked at Chase AARP?


I am not old enough for an AARP card. Even if I could qualify for it, the Capital One has everything I want. I would rather 2% on groceries as well as the no forex, world mastercard elite status. Capital One fits my need perfectly. I have Chase Visa Signature card already with the Sapphire.


There is no age restriction on the card. Which benefits of WEMC do you use?

The thing about 2% vs. 3% categories...or CashForward vs. Quicksilver...is that it really takes a lot of spend to make any appreciable difference in rewards. If you're spending that much, the rewards are vastly higher if you just pick up an occasional bonus.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

mountaindewvoltage
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby mountaindewvoltage » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 am

I must admit that after making this thread, I made a mistake about the Venture. All of the other Capital One cards suck.

I like my metal Venture card (thought I'd try one out). Capital One gave me a $15,000 limit (my next highest is $5,600) and the rewards are pretty straight forward. It's not really a card to use by itself, but one to use in combination with an airline transfer or hotel card.

aj023
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby aj023 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:03 am

Tubpbs wrote:
aj023 wrote:
Tubpbs wrote:Have you looked at Chase AARP?


I am not old enough for an AARP card. Even if I could qualify for it, the Capital One has everything I want. I would rather 2% on groceries as well as the no forex, world mastercard elite status. Capital One fits my need perfectly. I have Chase Visa Signature card already with the Sapphire.


There is no age restriction on the card. Which benefits of WEMC do you use?


Can't comment on what benefits I would use, but just the appeal of a higher end card and rewards for dining and groceries that I want along with no foreign currency fees is why I already chose the Capital One card. The card offers higher tier programs generally on travel but perhaps the concierge will be better for dining or card replacement will be easier abroad or whatnot.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4495
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Does Anyone Think Capital One Cards Suck?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 pm

mountaindewvoltage wrote:I must admit that after making this thread, I made a mistake about the Venture. All of the other Capital One cards suck.

I like my metal Venture card (thought I'd try one out). Capital One gave me a $15,000 limit (my next highest is $5,600) and the rewards are pretty straight forward. It's not really a card to use by itself, but one to use in combination with an airline transfer or hotel card.

It's good for travel-cash bonus chasing, but after the first year many card geeks decide they don't want to pay an AF for a 2% travel-cash card. There has been a lot of discussion on MF about people asking for AF waivers, PCing and/or combining cards to preserve their big Cap One CLs while avoiding AFs.

What it pairs well with is debatable. You said the other day you were looking at a hotel stay where you could redeem Starpoints for 3.4 cpp. With those kinds of values, why pay an ongoing AF for a mere 2% travel card? Keeping one would seem more superfluous than complementary.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests