November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
19 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:06 pm

No apps likely for the rest of the year.

Considering CSR for 2017 and toying with the idea of AA Executive shenanigans.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card


JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby JonE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Nothing for the rest of the year and probably well into 2017. I'd like to stay at five cards but drop the store cards in the next few months. I cancelled Amazon prime since I rarely use it so the Amazon store card won't be of much use anymore.
Wallet: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Chopping Block: Synchrony
Future: TBD

thom02099
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby thom02099 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:35 pm

With the beginning of the new month, I'm now 2 years from my last app(the Diners Club Premiere); that would get me...what...the diamond encrusted titanium spade over at MF? Not many folks over there ever reach a similar milestone, it just ain't in their DNA.

Cards being retired -- IberiaBank Select Visa and 1st Command Platinum Visa are getting cut. I've had them for quite a while, got them before they were darling cards over at MF years ago, before the Ducks and Beavers and various credit union cards that wax and wane over there. By the time they drop off my credit report, I'll be in my late 70s and I really won't care that they've dropped off. Hell, I probably won't even remember them! Also going away, the Lowes Card, just can't justify it and Home Depot and I use the HD a lot more. Even that one may go away as well, I really don't need a store card any more.
Retired, and in the process of retiring cards!
EQ = 850 EX=849 TU = 850 as of 07/2017

darkguy2
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am
Location: United States

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby darkguy2 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 am

After getting the CSR I do not foresee any more for 2017 unless a new card comes out that has amazing benefits. I think most of my needs are covered by my current cards. Will PC my CSP to a Freedom right before the AF hits in January and I may drop my AA card when it comes up for renewal since my Plat status gets me the boarding and checked bag. The only thing that would stop me is the 10% rebate and reduced millage awards.Will have to do the math when it gets closer to see if it is still worth it. Anyone been able to get the second year waved?
Discover IT - $5,700
Chase Freedom - $5,700
Costco Citi - $13,000
Sallie Mae - $4,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,000
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $19,500
Citi Double Cash - $6,500
Amex BCE - $13,000

FICOs: Discover (777), SallieMae (764), Amex (767), Citi (772)
FAKOs: CK- TU (760), EQ (760)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Six months in the garden.

It's irrational, but for some reason I feel compelled to make firm decisions tonight about which (if any) cards I should close or downgrade...cards on which the annual fees aren't due for several months, and on which I wouldn't even get a prorated AF refund if I cancelled them early.

I'm not actually PCing or closing anything, but it's bizarre how much time I've spent thinking about whether to keep, close, or PC CSP and Prestige. The net AFs are under $300. I've spent much less time making some stock and option trading decisions, and much more money is at stake there.

How is it that I can make a trading decision involving thousands of dollars in a few minutes...even seconds...yet I can think about some cards for longer and not reach a decision when I have only a few hundred at risk?

It seems to me that the ideal way to decide is to take five minutes sometime a few weeks before the AF is billed and just compare the AF to the value I expect to get from the card in the next year (and quickly take into account any weird issuer rules). Unless the value is clearly greater than the AF, close it.

Does anyone else find this hard to do?
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Tubpbs » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:07 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Six months in the garden.

It's irrational, but for some reason I feel compelled to make firm decisions tonight about which (if any) cards I should close or downgrade...cards on which the annual fees aren't due for several months, and on which I wouldn't even get a prorated AF refund if I cancelled them early.

I'm not actually PCing or closing anything, but it's bizarre how much time I've spent thinking about whether to keep, close, or PC CSP and Prestige. The net AFs are under $300. I've spent much less time making some stock and option trading decisions, and much more money is at stake there.

How is it that I can make a trading decision involving thousands of dollars in a few minutes...even seconds...yet I can think about some cards for longer and not reach a decision when I have only a few hundred at risk?

It seems to me that the ideal way to decide is to take five minutes sometime a few weeks before the AF is billed and just compare the AF to the value I expect to get from the card in the next year (and quickly take into account any weird issuer rules). Unless the value is clearly greater than the AF, close it.

Does anyone else find this hard to do?


I haven't really actively closed any cards ever. I don't open them with the intention of doing much other than keeping them.

You're in a more complicated situation, but I suppose with certain exceptions your conclusion above makes the most sense.

Just keep in mind (as I'm certain you are) the one time sign up bonuses out there.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

[email protected]
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby [email protected] » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:06 am

darkguy2 wrote:After getting the CSR I do not foresee any more for 2017 unless a new card comes out that has amazing benefits. I think most of my needs are covered by my current cards. Will PC my CSP to a Freedom right before the AF hits in January and I may drop my AA card when it comes up for renewal since my Plat status gets me the boarding and checked bag. The only thing that would stop me is the 10% rebate and reduced millage awards.Will have to do the math when it gets closer to see if it is still worth it. Anyone been able to get the second year waved?


Congrats on the CSR
Discover it $3.5K
BOA CR Visa Sig. $25K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $10.1K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Cash Bus Visa Sig. $4k
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

[email protected]
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby [email protected] » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:10 am

Just got 2 Credit line increases without any credit pulls. $1000.00 on Cap 1 Venture making credit limit $13K, & $8000.00 on Amex BCP making it my first $20K credit line. :lift:

Total Credit line now:
Personal-$81K
Business-$7K
Discover it $3.5K
BOA CR Visa Sig. $25K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $10.1K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Cash Bus Visa Sig. $4k
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Tubpbs » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Got a targeted Gold Delta Skymiles offer for 75K.

Perhaps the one CarefulBuilder has been looking for...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: November 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:39 pm

Tubpbs wrote:Got a targeted Gold Delta Skymiles offer for 75K.

Perhaps the one CarefulBuilder has been looking for...

That would be nice. I'm actually even considering a 60k+$50, $1k spend offer I got recently by email. The offer expires in two months, so I have time to think.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests