BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
47 posts
To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby To My Credit » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:28 pm

Vattené wrote:Congrats on the approval, and thank you! I'll have to think about it more now...
I found a BBR Program Rules PDF and here is how it defines a "Qualifying Payment":

Qualifying PaymentA monthly payment received on or before the Due Date, which is more than the Minimum Payment due; a payment in full received on or before the Due Date is a Qualifying Payment

So I guess you should be good as long as you pay in full.
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+


Gamma
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:15 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby Gamma » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:15 am

I have 2 of these cards and I gotta say, it's easy money. I put $2 every month reloading my Amazon gift card balance and pay in full when the statement comes in. The $30 almost always comes in within 10 days of the new quarter. An easy $240 every year and highly recommended. Congrats on the approval!

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby To My Credit » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:43 am

Gamma wrote:I have 2 of these cards and I gotta say, it's easy money.

That's interesting. Did you apply for 1 of them and PC to the 2nd? If so, when did the PC happen?

But yes, sounds like an easy $240 every year. It wouldn't hurt to have a second one, but I don't think they'd approve a second for me and they've supposedly stopped allowing PCing to this card recently.
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+

Gamma
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:15 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby Gamma » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:16 pm

To My Credit wrote:
Gamma wrote:I have 2 of these cards and I gotta say, it's easy money.

That's interesting. Did you apply for 1 of them and PC to the 2nd? If so, when did the PC happen?

But yes, sounds like an easy $240 every year. It wouldn't hurt to have a second one, but I don't think they'd approve a second for me and they've supposedly stopped allowing PCing to this card recently.

I PC a cash rewards card I had with them the time it came out. That time they did allow that, but as you said, I don't think they allow pc anymore. Then I applied for the MasterCard version 4 months ago, which was approved. The first one I got via pc is a visa version so I'm not sure if they consider visa and MasterCard 2 different products.

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby To My Credit » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:47 pm

To anyone considering getting this card, do know that if you don't have a BoA Checking or Savings account, things are a lot more complicated. You'd be getting $5 less every quarter, and you'd be getting the $25 quarterly rewards as a statement credit, meaning you're going to have to spend more than $25 on that particular billing cycle to qualify for the next quarterly bonus. If you have a BoA Checking or Savings account, you can set it up so the rewards are deposited into your Checking or Savings account, automate monthly payments and autopay, and forget about it as you watch the money trickle in quarter-by-quarter.
Last edited by To My Credit on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+

Kevin86475391
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby Kevin86475391 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:10 pm

I've just never been able to get enthused about this card. My personal rule of thumb is to only open 1 card every 1-2 years and this one just never makes the short list. Sure I could just violate my rule and apply anyway, but I still don't really see it as worth it.

To My Credit wrote:To anyone considering getting this card, do know that if you don't have a BoA Checking or Savings account, things are a lot more complicated. You'd be getting $5 less every quarter, and you'd be getting the $25 quarterly rewards as a statement credit, meaning you're going to have to spend more than $25 on that particular billing cycle to qualify for the next quarter's bonus. If you have a BoA Checking or Savings account, you can set it up so the rewards are deposited into your Checking or Savings account, automate monthly payments and autopay, and forget about it as you watch the money trickle in quarter-by-quarter.


Perhaps this is a big reason why it isn't worth it to me. I don't use BofA for deposit accounts and am not really interested in starting. It would be a bit more of a hassle for slightly smaller rewards.

I love my BofA Cash Rewards card and really enjoy using it. I just can't imagine being too enthusiastic about using the BBR card. It would just put a small recurring charge on it and I guess the rewards on that and stability would be nice but...I don't really know I'm just very meh about it.

Congrats on getting it and to those that have it though. I'm sure it's great under a lot of circumstances, but it just doesn't really entice me personally.

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby To My Credit » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Kevin86475391 wrote:I've just never been able to get enthused about this card. My personal rule of thumb is to only open 1 card every 1-2 years and this one just never makes the short list. Sure I could just violate my rule and apply anyway, but I still don't really see it as worth it.
I agree that it's a boring card to use, which is exactly why I'm not going to be using it :D I have a BoA Checking & Savings account, so once I set it all up, I'm done with the card. It's just going to generate me $120 a year, which is a decent amount for putting very little spend on it.

My primary reason for getting it was that I did the math and the next card on my wishlist (Citi Double Cash) wouldn't be making me as much money every year unless I put $1300+ of spend on it every month, and I'm pretty sure that's only going to happen rarely. I'm still going to get the Double Cash, and it's a more exciting card to use for sure, but I couldn't argue against cold hard math based on my expenses.
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:03 am

I've considered getting one or three of these before, but haven't applied. I've always been concerned that once I do, they'll nerf it or take AA against the customers who don't use it as they intend (reward-seeking freeloaders with small transactions vs. rebuilders with regular spend).

Then I'd be stuck with no bonus, no special features, and mediocre PC options.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby kdm31091 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 am

To My Credit wrote:
Kevin86475391 wrote:I've just never been able to get enthused about this card. My personal rule of thumb is to only open 1 card every 1-2 years and this one just never makes the short list. Sure I could just violate my rule and apply anyway, but I still don't really see it as worth it.
I agree that it's a boring card to use, which is exactly why I'm not going to be using it :D I have a BoA Checking & Savings account, so once I set it all up, I'm done with the card. It's just going to generate me $120 a year, which is a decent amount for putting very little spend on it.

My primary reason for getting it was that I did the math and the next card on my wishlist (Citi Double Cash) wouldn't be making me as much money every year unless I put $1300+ of spend on it every month, and I'm pretty sure that's only going to happen rarely. I'm still going to get the Double Cash, and it's a more exciting card to use for sure, but I couldn't argue against cold hard math based on my expenses.


But if the BBR is going to make you more, why even worry about getting the Double Cash?

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Credit Card

Postby To My Credit » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:40 am

kdm31091 wrote:But if the BBR is going to make you more, why even worry about getting the Double Cash?
The Double Cash will be my "everything else" card, and it can still save me around $50 per year. And I also like the idea of having automated Price Rewind benefits. The great thing about the BBR is that it has its own corner. It's not eating away at the rewards of another card because it's not a % cashback card like everything else. There is no other card like it, so it's not an either-or card.
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests