Barclays

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
14 posts
MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Barclays

Postby MemberSince99 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Is, how should I say this, um, different.

I went to buy my groceries with the card this evening as I wanted to get the sign up bonus worth 4 free nights.

Card was declined. No biggie, just used Discover they appreciate it more anyway.

But I want that sign up bonus.

So I call Barclays and get a woman who had an accent that suggested most likely the Phillipines though India is possible too. Reason for decline - card wasn't activated.

Now isn't that interesting. Here I had activated it online, it told me it was activated, then it let me create my online account. To top that off, I had already put a charge through on it which was accepted.

So she activates it again.

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty then!

I know I'm going to regret going with this clown show if they become too big a PITA I'll just dump them and use the IHG card.

Never a dull moment with them, that's for sure.


Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Barclays

Postby Tubpbs » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:32 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:Is, how should I say this, um, different.

I went to buy my groceries with the card this evening as I wanted to get the sign up bonus worth 4 free nights.

Card was declined. No biggie, just used Discover they appreciate it more anyway.

But I want that sign up bonus.

So I call Barclays and get a woman who had an accent that suggested most likely the Phillipines though India is possible too. Reason for decline - card wasn't activated.

Now isn't that interesting. Here I had activated it online, it told me it was activated, then it let me create my online account. To top that off, I had already put a charge through on it which was accepted.

So she activates it again.

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty then!

I know I'm going to regret going with this clown show if they become too big a PITA I'll just dump them and use the IHG card.

Never a dull moment with them, that's for sure.


1. I like your posts. Diverse, frequent, interesting, etc

2. Which card do you have?

I don't have and have never had a card from them. Sometimes I browse their cards but meh (and I read posts about quirks like this and ultra conservative behavior etc).
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclays

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:39 pm

They don't always have their act together from an IT standpoint. No doubt about that. CSRs can certainly spout nonsense when they don't know the answer to something.

As far as concerns about them being super-conservative...I've seen a lot more complaints from people with baddies who got their card after 4 rounds of recon than people with good credit. For every big rant you see, there are a lot of people just humming along smoothly, enjoying what time remains on Sallie.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Barclays

Postby Tubpbs » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:07 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:They don't always have their act together from an IT standpoint. No doubt about that. CSRs can certainly spout nonsense when they don't know the answer to something.

As far as concerns about them being super-conservative...I've seen a lot more complaints from people with baddies who got their card after 4 rounds of recon than people with good credit. For every big rant you see, there are a lot of people just humming along smoothly, enjoying what time remains on Sallie.


Fair enough...but even the cards you have from them seem to be falling by the wayside. No?

Not entirely relevant to the conservative lender issue or Members post, but still a point.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Re: Barclays

Postby MemberSince99 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Thank you. I have the Choice Privileges card. I got it because I can use it for a trip next month and I think that trip will be annual as well as others probably next year.

I did diversify a bit though and also got the IHG card.

That way Choice and Holiday Inn are covered. And with my Amex Plat Hilton is covered and for now Starwood. Though if/when Marriot buys them, who knows what happens there.

On that subject, a Chinese group is also trying to buy Starwood. If that happens I'm making sure I don't stay there. But if I thought Marriot was going to do it, I might go for SPG now figuring Marriot will convert you, much like happened with Costco, and thus you can get around the Chase 5/24 rule that way. Just a thought there.

But if I thought the Chinese were going to get it, I would not be at all interested.

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Barclays

Postby kdm31091 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:46 pm

As a whole, if you have to recon with Barclay's, they are conservative. They like to be your "main" card and they make it obvious with high redemption thresholds on many of their products. They want to see consistent spending on cards. I don't think it makes them bad per se but they definitely expect you to actually use the card you're given. If not, you could face AA, or at least have trouble getting approved for another card from them.

Their IT department and customer service are definitely not top notch either.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Barclays

Postby Tubpbs » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:56 pm

kdm31091 wrote:As a whole, if you have to recon with Barclay's, they are conservative. They like to be your "main" card and they make it obvious with high redemption thresholds on many of their products. They want to see consistent spending on cards. I don't think it makes them bad per se but they definitely expect you to actually use the card you're given. If not, you could face AA, or at least have trouble getting approved for another card from them.

Their IT department and customer service are definitely not top notch either.


That's a fair enough point that I agree you cannot blame them in any way for. If I were them or any other lender, I'd want my cardholders to put all their spend on my cards too. I think I'm wise to stay away because there's no chance they would get any reasonable portion of my spend on any of the products they currently have. I don't think me and Barclay's would mix well. I will continue to keep my distance.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Re: Barclays

Postby MemberSince99 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:58 am

There is no way they will be my main card. Discover won that.

Citi comes next and amex is third. This is a hotel card not main card material. It will be used but I'm saying now it will never be my main card. If that is for some reason expected then they will be disappointed. I never promised it.

It will be used as appropriate

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Barclays

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:07 am

Some of their better cards are no longer available, or are only worth getting during brief promotions.

*I do use the cards when I travel, but if I've forgotten to submit a travel notice, I'll use something that doesn't need one, like Amex.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Barclays

Postby Tubpbs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:38 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Some of their better cards are no longer available, or are only worth getting during brief promotions.

*I do use the cards when I travel, but if I've forgotten to submit a travel notice, I'll use something that doesn't need one, like Amex.


By the way, still haven't submitted a travel notice in several years and still haven't had a decline on any card - and I do switch it up a lot when I travel - so most of the cards I have that I already use, get used.

CSP, Prestige, Platinum, DC. Probably it, but not sure.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests