May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
130 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun May 22, 2016 1:23 pm

What sort of benefit/reward combinations are people hoping to find in new cards?
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when


User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Vattené » Sun May 22, 2016 7:05 pm

I agree there probably won't be anything too innovative coming any time soon, and I honestly don't know what I would even ask for if I could have any say in it (that would actually be reasonable - I realize they do have to make money after all). There are a ton of options available to suit a variety of needs. That's why, given where I am now, I'm more likely to apply for something with a good bonus than long term rewards on regular spending.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby kdm31091 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:43 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:What sort of benefit/reward combinations are people hoping to find in new cards?


Good question. I'd like to see a card with 5% on all dining, permanently, although I doubt it will happen. Like I always say, though, 3% on this or that just doesn't excite me much, whether it's dining, gas, whatever. Just doesn't add up to much above a general spending card.

In general though it seems issuers are moving away from 5% cards. I would be surprised if the "original" Freedom sticks around for many more years. My guess is the Freedom Unlimited is the eventual replacement. They'll offer both in tandem for awhile, but probably not forever.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:37 pm

kdm31091 wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:What sort of benefit/reward combinations are people hoping to find in new cards?


Good question. I'd like to see a card with 5% on all dining, permanently, although I doubt it will happen. Like I always say, though, 3% on this or that just doesn't excite me much, whether it's dining, gas, whatever. Just doesn't add up to much above a general spending card.

In general though it seems issuers are moving away from 5% cards. I would be surprised if the "original" Freedom sticks around for many more years. My guess is the Freedom Unlimited is the eventual replacement. They'll offer both in tandem for awhile, but probably not forever.

I agree, 5% on dining is not likely (at least not without an AF or low cap).

Discover had a 5% dining card years ago that got quickly discontinued. Sallie Mae (with different bonus categories, but another card with year-round useful categories) remains in limbo despite low caps.

Chase might return Freedom to something like its very old form (I read about it somewhere)...where customers pick 2 or 3 3% categories.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 pm

Vattené wrote:I agree there probably won't be anything too innovative coming any time soon, and I honestly don't know what I would even ask for if I could have any say in it (that would actually be reasonable - I realize they do have to make money after all). There are a ton of options available to suit a variety of needs. That's why, given where I am now, I'm more likely to apply for something with a good bonus than long term rewards on regular spending.

There are definitely a lot of options on the market. Most hotels, airlines, and cruises have cards now (even if the rewards stink). Seemingly every permutation exists of 2% and 3% cash category cards. There are cards for the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, and probably other sports leagues I can't recall.

I have found my next source of temptation, though. :ppp I was on Wyndham trying to book an award stay and found a hidden offer for 30k+15k after $1k spend. That's enough for 3 free nights for $1k spend and payment of a $69 AF. The renewal bonus is only 6k, though.

Still, over a three-year period (during or after which the card and/or program could easily be nerfed), the bonus and renewal points would be 76% of what I wanted. 76% of something great is still pretty good...but I'll hold off while minimum spend remains on Platinum and Prestige. I can probably snag some more points through USTA next year, anyway.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby MemberSince99 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:16 am

I have come to believe it's better to just avoid the gimmick sign up bonus cards and focus on what you see as a long term use card.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Nixon » Mon May 23, 2016 7:51 am

MemberSince99 wrote:I have come to believe it's better to just avoid the gimmick sign up bonus cards and focus on what you see as a long term use card.

Unless you have a short to medium term travel goal and are able to use the various currencies.

This is why I haven't signed up for ANYTHING United Airlines as they don't hub at my home airports.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 am

Nixon wrote:
MemberSince99 wrote:I have come to believe it's better to just avoid the gimmick sign up bonus cards and focus on what you see as a long term use card.

Unless you have a short to medium term travel goal and are able to use the various currencies.

This is why I haven't signed up for ANYTHING United Airlines as they don't hub at my home airports.

It's better to earn a nice signup bonus and dump a card strategically than to get a "long term" card and find it doesn't fit after only a few months of moderate spend. Long-term needs change frequently. :ppp

I can use points and miles from most hotel and airline companies.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 am

gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:
gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:Just combined my accounts on Capital one (Quicksilver $2K, into Venture $10K) giving me $12K on Venture, and doing away with one of my AF cards. They make it easy with the request combined accounts button.


Now, thinking about closing Dillards, Kingsize, & possibly Discover, even though Discover is my oldest card. Any suggestions?


Just closed Dillard's card and Kingsize Platinum store cards. Keeping Discover.
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: May 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 am

Need a refresher course on NPSL cards and credit scores/bureaus. if you have a high balance on a NPSL card, should you wait till after statement is cut showing that balance to pay, as I understand that is what they go by since it shows no CL? or does it even matter?
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests