MasterCard losing ground?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
20 posts
TXviking
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 pm
Location: Palm Beach, Florida

MasterCard losing ground?

Postby TXviking » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:49 am

I've noticed that far fewer of my credit cards are MasterCards lately. I'm planning to cancel my United MileagePlus Explorer card, and it's actually my last remaining MasterCard. Several of my former MasterCards have been reissued as Visas over the years, primarily by Chase.

Am I suffering from confirmation bias because I have several Chase cards, or is MasterCard losing serious ground?


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:41 am

TXviking wrote:I've noticed that far fewer of my credit cards are MasterCards lately. I'm planning to cancel my United MileagePlus Explorer card, and it's actually my last remaining MasterCard. Several of my former MasterCards have been reissued as Visas over the years, primarily by Chase.

Am I suffering from confirmation bias because I have several Chase cards, or is MasterCard losing serious ground?

Chase is very Visa-heavy. Chase IHG is a MC, though.

If you only looked at Citi's lineup, you'd think Visa was losing ground.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby Tubpbs » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:37 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
TXviking wrote:I've noticed that far fewer of my credit cards are MasterCards lately. I'm planning to cancel my United MileagePlus Explorer card, and it's actually my last remaining MasterCard. Several of my former MasterCards have been reissued as Visas over the years, primarily by Chase.

Am I suffering from confirmation bias because I have several Chase cards, or is MasterCard losing serious ground?

Chase is very Visa-heavy. Chase IHG is a MC, though.

If you only looked at Citi's lineup, you'd think Visa was losing ground.


Exactly. It's most likely because your portfolio is Chase centric. Citi has the opposite, almost only MC. Capital one has mostly MC I believe as well.

I do think it's very interesting that Chase and Citi are so one-sided with their own card offerings. I'm sure there is a decent reason and there's not a particularly big difference in acceptance, but Citi basically did the opposite of Chase where they reissued a lot of Visas as MCs. I'd like to ask them why, but I'll never find out.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

TXviking
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 pm
Location: Palm Beach, Florida

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby TXviking » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how I wound up so Chase-centric; it was not a conscious effort. But in all fairness, they've been decent to me as a bank.

You say Citi is almost only MC, but amusingly, my soon-to-arrive CitiBank Costco card will be a Visa. I'm actually tempted to go check out CapitalOne or CitiBank to look for another MC since I'm about to cancel my remaining MC (United pissed me off); however, with two inquiries this year (a refi and the recent CSP application) I may just leave well enough alone for a while.

TXviking
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 pm
Location: Palm Beach, Florida

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby TXviking » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Tubpbs wrote:I do think it's very interesting that Chase and Citi are so one-sided with their own card offerings. I'm sure there is a decent reason and there's not a particularly big difference in acceptance, but Citi basically did the opposite of Chase where they reissued a lot of Visas as MCs. I'd like to ask them why, but I'll never find out.


I actually did ask a Chase CSR this question recently. She had no problem telling me: "MasterCard wanted to increase the fees they charge us during the last round of negotiations, and we did not agree with that." Of course, whether that was communicated in a bank memo or is merely her personal take on the situation, I'll never know, but it sounds plausible enough.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby Tubpbs » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:10 pm

TXviking wrote:
Tubpbs wrote:I do think it's very interesting that Chase and Citi are so one-sided with their own card offerings. I'm sure there is a decent reason and there's not a particularly big difference in acceptance, but Citi basically did the opposite of Chase where they reissued a lot of Visas as MCs. I'd like to ask them why, but I'll never find out.


I actually did ask a Chase CSR this question recently. She had no problem telling me: "MasterCard wanted to increase the fees they charge us during the last round of negotiations, and we did not agree with that." Of course, whether that was communicated in a bank memo or is merely her personal take on the situation, I'll never know, but it sounds plausible enough.


Agreed. It is likely the case that they found a better deal with Visa, but who knows.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby Tubpbs » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:15 pm

TXviking wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how I wound up so Chase-centric; it was not a conscious effort. But in all fairness, they've been decent to me as a bank.

You say Citi is almost only MC, but amusingly, my soon-to-arrive CitiBank Costco card will be a Visa. I'm actually tempted to go check out CapitalOne or CitiBank to look for another MC since I'm about to cancel my remaining MC (United pissed me off); however, with two inquiries this year (a refi and the recent CSP application) I may just leave well enough alone for a while.


...and I don't think the Citi & Visa offering the Costco card was an accident. I think it was a strategic decision by both (or all 3) institutions to come together on a very big and popular offering (supposedly the Costco members held 11%+ of the overal carried balances on all Amex cards). That seems obvious on the surface. Obviously it was a conscious decision and not an accident, but I mean more along the lines of a potential step one toward bringing Visa back into the Citi portfolio in a much more meaningful way.

We shall see.

I hope some of these nut sacs release some new and interesting cards this year, but so far nothing that's exciting to me... I'm hopeful though. At least something interesting. With my card lineup, it becomes increasingly difficult to offer something that will provide a lot of additional value unless I replace an existing card with a new one.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby Nixon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:59 am

Hell, if you look at Centurion bank issued cards you'd think Visa, MC and Discover were going the way of the dodo. :ppp
Image

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby kdm31091 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:14 am

Some banks are more Visa heavy and some are more MC heavy. It has to do, I'm sure, with whatever deal they strike up with the network.

Don't think either one is going anywhere anytime soon.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: MasterCard losing ground?

Postby Tubpbs » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:51 am

kdm31091 wrote:Some banks are more Visa heavy and some are more MC heavy. It has to do, I'm sure, with whatever deal they strike up with the network.

Don't think either one is going anywhere anytime soon.


Agreed...considering they get some percentage of a considerable portion of all of the transactions made globally on a daily basis...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lanceenfof and 1 guest