April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
78 posts
Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Nixon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:12 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I know Nixon likes the opportunity for BT shenanigans, but I still think it's junk if a person has decent cards.


Not BT shenanigans (Unless you refer to the 1% bonus I got for all BT's.)

I use it for cash advances in Vegas. :)
Image


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Nixon wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I know Nixon likes the opportunity for BT shenanigans, but I still think it's junk if a person has decent cards.


Not BT shenanigans (Unless you refer to the 1% bonus I got for all BT's.)

I use it for cash advances in Vegas. :)

I meant the 1%.

Is the cash advance feature just for convenience vs. an ATM? Or it has some role in MS?
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Nixon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:02 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
Nixon wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I know Nixon likes the opportunity for BT shenanigans, but I still think it's junk if a person has decent cards.


Not BT shenanigans (Unless you refer to the 1% bonus I got for all BT's.)

I use it for cash advances in Vegas. :)

I meant the 1%.

Is the cash advance feature just for convenience vs. an ATM? Or it has some role in MS?


Convenience. I NEVER take debit cards to Vegas.
Image

JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby JonE » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:55 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Man, it is hard to distinguish the "Fool's Day" approval messages from the real ones over on MF...


I'm still technically banned over there, I can read now, but can't post. No big loss. :D

I like this place much better, and I can find a few other places (that aren't MF or CreditBoards) to post on this topic.
Wallet: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Chopping Block: Synchrony
Future: TBD

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Nixon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:06 pm

JonE wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Man, it is hard to distinguish the "Fool's Day" approval messages from the real ones over on MF...


I'm still technically banned over there, I can read now, but can't post. No big loss. :D

I like this place much better, and I can find a few other places (that aren't MF or CreditBoards) to post on this topic.


They.....banned you from posting? How petty do they get.
Image

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby kdm31091 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:02 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Someone who joked about getting Comenity cards was very excited about actually getting a Ring. I know Nixon likes the opportunity for BT shenanigans, but I still think it's junk if a person has decent cards.


I found the excitement a bit odd. Ring is nice for certain things (low APR, BTs, whatever) but at its core, it's just a basic credit card. Certainly not all that exciting, yet that poster was acting like they found hidden gold. They want to "keep building the relationship" with Barclays, but they're going to do that by spending on a non-rewards, no frills card? What's the gain? To each their own I guess. Then they went one step further and closed their Barclay Rewards (which they seem to have outgrown anyway). So they have just the Ring to "build a relationship" (which I keep putting in quotes because I find the relationship thing kind of overstated).

The OP actually said the card made them less stressed out with work and stuff. Um, ok. It's just a credit card.


That's crazy. What does the card have to do with work? That's a weird move. I have the plain BankAmericard, but it's involuntary mostly. It's my oldest and first account and I have tried several times to change it to another product and they don't even pretend to entertain me. I would never apply for that card now (or probably any / most any BoA personal card in general), but I keep it alive for now. We'll see how long it will last. I think I'll have a harder time letting go of the credit than the AAoA when the time comes...


I dunno...OP is stressed about work and says the card made them feel better which is a pretty odd thing to say especially for a card with no real benefits other than emergency use ones.

@JonE: surprised at that ban. Usually it's either "banned completely, cannot read or post" or nothing. Maybe their software has changed on the back end.

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby kdm31091 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:14 am

I've also noticed lately that the posters who brag the loudest about "gardening all year" or "gardening til 2017" are the first ones to "oops, fell out of the garden" two weeks later.

If it's really THAT hard for you to not apply for cards, you need to find something else to occupy your time. I get that it can be tempting but at a certain point you also have to not let it become an addiction.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:37 pm

Who else has cards on the chopping block?

I'll be closing PRG and downgrading EDP to the no-AF version sometime in the next two months.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby Tubpbs » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:26 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Who else has cards on the chopping block?

I'll be closing PRG and downgrading EDP to the no-AF version sometime in the next two months.


No chopping. I have been laying out some plans for future airline and hotel cards. I'm starting to more fully understand the approach you've been using for the last several months and I think I'm going to be starting the process myself, probably at a slower pace than you.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: April 2016 Garden Club/Cult

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:18 pm

kdm31091 wrote:I've also noticed lately that the posters who brag the loudest about "gardening all year" or "gardening til 2017" are the first ones to "oops, fell out of the garden" two weeks later.

If it's really THAT hard for you to not apply for cards, you need to find something else to occupy your time. I get that it can be tempting but at a certain point you also have to not let it become an addiction.

I don't look at the Approvals section enough to think of specific examples, but there are always quite a few "definitely gardening until X" (with X being two years from last week) proclamations and signatures.

Tubpbs wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Who else has cards on the chopping block?

I'll be closing PRG and downgrading EDP to the no-AF version sometime in the next two months.


No chopping. I have been laying out some plans for future airline and hotel cards. I'm starting to more fully understand the approach you've been using for the last several months and I think I'm going to be starting the process myself, probably at a slower pace than you.

You've already got a lot of good cards (and big AFs), so be very picky about what you add. Perks and bonuses may matter more than the earn rate.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests